LegacyGT.com

How many miles on your CVT? Any Issues?

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the procedure for fluid check at the dealer? Do they insert a sensor which takes a reading of the fluid, or do they drain a bit for visual inspection? Cost? I'm coming close to 70K miles, wanna know where I stand.

I assume you are not asking in relation to the '05 right?

im at 56k, im a little more abusive than other outback owners. ive used my car several times in muddy rallyx, so excessive rpms. ive also taken my car mudding or whatever a few times, ive had to replace an axel, but have never had any transmission problems.

heres an examplehttp://i.imgur.com/yWNLvff.png

90 K on our 2010 Legacy 2.5i with CVT tranny. No issues. By the way, I've changed the CVT fluid 2X per the Dealer's recommendation. The Manual says that under "normal", driving conditions it should last 100K (?) [check my accuracy]. NY style of driving is NT normal / typical. Lots of traffic, with stop and go,etc. CVT fluid id not regular Tranny fluid; it's different. I also changed the differential fluids / oils at the same time. I believe there are 3 all together.

• 2 weeks later...
116k on my '13 legacy 2.5i only did a cvt fluid change once, nxt change ima do at 120k which will be real soon, cvt is an amazing machinery compare to reg automatics.... dont go buy the guide of the vehicle, if your mechanic at the dealer or whereever you take your car says its time to change your cvt fluid then do it everyhing is based on how you use and drive your car... love my subaru havent had any issues at all thank god hope this helps

116k on my '13 legacy 2.5i only did a cvt fluid change once, nxt change ima do at 120k which will be real soon, cvt is an amazing machinery compare to reg automatics.... dont go buy the guide of the vehicle, if your mechanic at the dealer or whereever you take your car says its time to change your cvt fluid then do it everyhing is based on how you use and drive your car... love my subaru havent had any issues at all thank god hope this helps

Dang dude, 60k a year! It's good to hear a good story.

I have similar sqealing syptoms. I have 2011 2.5i Outback with 140k km.

Usually it is when i use Cruise Control and Reset the speed. Whet engine starts to push and build rpms it squiels and looses traction (in gearbox) and looses rpms. And then it regains tractions and builds up rpms. I can see it at 90km/h speeds.

While experimenting had some little slips also when driving steady.

Are there some news on this?

Now I have 146 k km. Now it is slipping even when driving in manual mode and 5th gear. So it is progressing. Only answer from dealer for now is to replace whole gearbox. To be continued..

• 4 weeks later...
2010 Legacy with 85K , brought car to mechanic to troubleshoot what felt like hesitation on occasional acceleration and twice it stalled at stop. Mechanic just told me the tranny is shot and needs to be replaced. 8K for a new cvt or 2300 for one with 50K on it. I am at a loss right now

2010 Legacy with 85K , brought car to mechanic to troubleshoot what felt like hesitation on occasional acceleration and twice it stalled at stop. Mechanic just told me the tranny is shot and needs to be replaced. 8K for a new cvt or 2300 for one with 50K on it. I am at a loss right now

Argh this is not what I want to hear; considering I beat on my CVT and have 81K and counting. Dealer said fluid looked good around 10K or so ago.

And 8K is insane. Get on car-part.com and start making some calls. Sorry to hear and let us know what happens.

We're they able to tell you what exactly was wrong with it? Even with traditional transmissions, some shops will just tell you "it's bad"/needs total replacement even though it may just be a single worn part

We're they able to tell you what exactly was wrong with it? Even with traditional transmissions, some shops will just tell you "it's bad"/needs total replacement even though it may just be a single worn part

No he said there was metal in the fluid and the CVT tranny could not be repaired only replaced. I am not having him do the repair. I will bring elsewhere for a second opinion or trade in for a different vehicle.

If you haven't already, take it to a Subaru dealer for diagnosis. Others have mentioned the stalling symptom is a bad torque converter. You may get Subaru to throw some $ towards the repair.

I would bring it to the dealer and call Subaru. a new torque converter is probably what you need, not the entire transmission. do you have 100,000 mile extended warranty? should be $1800 for the repair from the dealer. Subaru might kick up some. 2010-2012 CVT torque converters are replaced with one with a different valve in it. 2013 are ok I think

Service Bulletin # 16-90-13 Design Change to Lock-Up Type Torque Converter Torque Converter

Bulletin Description: This bulletin announces the availability of a countermeasure torque converter assembly to address a customer concern of very low engine RPM when coming to a stop. The condition is similar to coming to a stop in a manual transmission equipped vehicle without depressing the clutch pedal. Thrust washer wear inside the torque converter torque converter can cause restriction of the oil passage used to bleed off lock-up clutch application pressure. The result is either a delayed (momentary low engine rpm) or no lock-up pressure release. The thrust washer has been changed from a solid bushing-type to a needle bearing type.

Uh-oh. Our Outback once in a blue moon shudders and the rpms drop low and rise back to where they need to be. I hope it's not a symptom of that valve in the converter starting to act up. Is this how the problem started for anyone else?

Uh-oh. Our Outback once in a blue moon shudders and the rpms drop low and rise back to where they need to be. I hope it's not a symptom of that valve in the converter starting to act up. Is this how the problem started for anyone else?

I think stalling the engine out is indicative of a problem cvt. The stumble coming to stop is a common 10-12 2.5i problem even with the 6MT. Mine has done it everyonce in while since new.

I think stalling the engine out is indicative of a problem cvt. The stumble coming to stop is a common 10-12 2.5i problem even with the 6MT. Mine has done it everyonce in while since new.

Isn't the "stumble" or "studder" problem an alternator problem?

Definitely get the stumble issue when coming to a stop 20-5 mph. And same when cruising in stop and go traffic. Just how CVTs are, they kind of get caught off guard sometimes. But above 25mph or so it's smooth as butter.

Problem is user manual creates the perception that no service required or necessary for the CVT unless you drive the car hard, like towing stuff with it.

Many dealers will say the same thing. As such, the majority of owners aren't touching the transmission during the time they are failing.

In addition, the TSB makes no mention of the valve failing due to fluid contamination or break-down. It talks about thrust washer wear and does not tie it to being caused specifically by neglected ATF. I am not saying that's not the case, just a simple observation. It could be that there's not enough evidence to correlate the two. I tend to agree, seeing that there's no consistency on the mileage at which this occurs.

Edited by fishbone