LegacyGT.com

VAG-COM cables chipsets FT232RL CH340

Evnldr

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welp, I just rolled the dice and ordered one that clearly says FT232BL. If it gets here and isn't I'll contact them for a resolution.

I might just have a 232BL in my garage, I had a vagcom cable years ago I used to tweek my MK4 vw.......Going to go dig around.....

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

Well luckily for me I have the 232BL in my garage. I dug it out, opened it up and sure enough it's the right one.

I soldered 2 pins together on the chip years ago for some reason. I believe when I was flashing my Mini Cooper or BMW, don't remember for sure but I will try the cable as is.

I had a 2nd vag cable and it's the wrong chip. I was using that one on my 03 Golf instrument cluster IIRC.

Don't know if the light vs dark blue matters or the red vs blue led but here's my cables.

Correct cable = light blue, blue led:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j193/firehawk618/Cars/2006%20Legacy%20GT%20Wagon/20140607_153833_zpsb9vwgakv.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j193/firehawk618/Cars/2006%20Legacy%20GT%20Wagon/20140607_153830_zpstl916q0c.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j193/firehawk618/Cars/2006%20Legacy%20GT%20Wagon/20140607_153549_zpshwbtadat.jpg

Incorrect cable = dark blue, red led:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j193/firehawk618/Cars/2006%20Legacy%20GT%20Wagon/20140607_153819_zps9ytuuxlq.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j193/firehawk618/Cars/2006%20Legacy%20GT%20Wagon/20140607_153824_zpsnlnmmcg1.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j193/firehawk618/Cars/2006%20Legacy%20GT%20Wagon/20140607_153756_zps6porya77.jpg

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

• 9 months later...

Has anyone found a source for an actual FT232BL VAG-COM cable?

I have an 05 LGT and I am interested in purchasing one ASAP but don't want to waste my time with shady sellers.

It looks like the one ebay seller londoncolour had the correct cable but I will have to go thru the hoops to talk to them, find out about shipping to the US from UK, being Ebay has no option for such that I can find.

Anyone know where I can grab a legit cable online?

Thanks for the help as always. Great forum, great people.

• 2 weeks later...
If anyone wants that real deal cable from UK seller, pm me asap, as I will be traveling to London in May and will have that seller ship those cable to my friends house and pick them up from him, so you only pay shipping here from me to you. And yes, I need that seller info for myself as well. :)

DK76

On March 30th I ordered a cable from the A&E trading co mentioned a few posts back, spoke with them over the phone, they assured me they would be sending a cable with the BL chipset.

Paid thru PayPal, eagerly awaiting arrival. I will post results and pics as soon as it arrives. I told the guy on the phone if it was the correct cable he could expect an influx of orders.

DK76

On March 30th I ordered a cable from the A&E trading co mentioned a few posts back, spoke with them over the phone, they assured me they would be sending a cable with the BL chipset.

Paid thru PayPal, eagerly awaiting arrival. I will post results and pics as soon as it arrives. I told the guy on the phone if it was the correct cable he could expect an influx of orders.

I have also emailed that ebay seller, he told me they don't ship to us through eBay but should work out via direct PayPal sale. I will post results of my communication with him. Also looking forward to hear about your transaction as well.

Alright, I have contacted my friend in London and it's ok to have those cables shipped to him. So if anyone needs on in next few weeks, PM me and I'll have a batch going.

Can't the UK seller tell you his source? There may be other eBay shops utilizing the same source. I would find it hard to believe the BL chips are hard to come by in the wild.

The issue iirc is the bl chips were discontinued by the mfg and replaced by a newer chipset

If anyone wants that real deal cable from UK seller, pm me asap, as I will be traveling to London in May and will have that seller ship those cable to my friends house and pick them up from him, so you only pay shipping here from me to you. And yes, I need that seller info for myself as well. :)

Hi, I am in the UK and am also having issues getting ECUflash to connect to my ECU. Checking my cable shows it has the newer CH340 chip set. Would you mind sharing the sellers details in the UK? Do they have a cable with the FDTI chip set? Cheers.

Ok I have manged to read my ROM image using an old VAG COM cable I had in a draw from days when I had a BMW 330i. I opened up the cable to find it had the FDTI 232RL chipset which is good enough for reading a rom. In the end I used the EcuFlash v1.29a (1.29.906) and the original drivers that came with the cable.

As I a don't ever want to write to the ROM I am happy with the solution I have.

Cheers

DK76 abd all others,

I received my cable, with a true 232BL chipset today from the European vendor A&E Trading mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm trying to figure out how to upload pics, but it looks to be of good quality. I will get a dedicated laptop up and running in a few days and see how it works, and report back.

DK76,

I have been wrong before, but I'm fairly certain the reason everyone wants the BL chipset is to be able to WRITE to the ecu and log, and the RL chipset will only READ/log. The BL has been substituted with some different chipsets (CHL ?) that either don't work at all, or get bricked by windows driver updates.

I hope I've gotten the correct one because I sure did some chasing to find it. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I will placing an order for those cables and will bring them from UK to USA at the end of May. If anyone needs them, please PM me by the end of the week and I'll get you one +pp+s/h locally.

OK Sorry for the delayed update, but I bring good news!

The cable I purchased from A&E Trading Co.

LOGS

READS FROM ECU

WRITES TO ECU

Also, I'm using 64bit Windows 8 and I will double check what versions of ECuFlash/RR That I am using.

I followed the tutorials, windows found me on COM3, works flawlessly.

Questions?

I've received some good help from this forum, glad to pay it forward.

Archived