LegacyGT.com

Front end vibration at hwy speeds

I'll chime in with my issue. 2006 LGT wagon, Everything from chassis out is new except the LCA, Knuckle, and Inner Tie rods. I know that my rotors are warped as i get a vibration when I apply the brakes. My issues was resolved partially when I replaced the drivers side front halfshaft. Sometimes at 75-80 mph i get a slight vibration in the wheel and a roaring. A few min later it will be gone. After the axle the roaring decreased dramatically but on occasion, typically first thing in the morning or when getting on the freeway, i get the vibration. I also have a popping that can be felt in the floorboard fairly frequently when turning. I have inner Tierods and a passenger side halfshaft to install soon to see if that fixes the problem

You have a bad axle, get it replaced with a reman unit not a new axle. Other threads have talked about the axles are a little to long and cause your issues.

My trust mechanic told me that and he replaced mine under warranty with a reman and its been fine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not necessarily. I had an alignment done by the dealer and they did not find a bad ball joint. Likewise, no amount of pulling or pushing on the wheel or control arm that I could muster showed any movement in the ball joint either. I had a vibration at high speeds that was noticeably worse when turning left (loading up the right side). Fortunately the right front wheel bearing started to make noise so I replaced it, and decided to replace the ball joint as well since the original had 180K on it on that side. To my delight, the vibration went away entirely afterwards as did the clunk I was getting going over bumps at low speed. The ball joints can fail when under load and that failure can't be replicated when the car is sitting still.

I'll trust the mechanic I've been using for over 30 years before I trust a service tech at a dealership. He could have been a newer tech.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Not necessarily. I had an alignment done by the dealer and they did not find a bad ball joint. Likewise, no amount of pulling or pushing on the wheel or control arm that I could muster showed any movement in the ball joint either. I had a vibration at high speeds that was noticeably worse when turning left (loading up the right side). Fortunately the right front wheel bearing started to make noise so I replaced it, and decided to replace the ball joint as well since the original had 180K on it on that side. To my delight, the vibration went away entirely afterwards as did the clunk I was getting going over bumps at low speed. The ball joints can fail when under load and that failure can't be replicated when the car is sitting still.

In my case I have all the white line bits they make on my front and rest end. If a tie rod or ball joint has gone bad is be surprised. Only about 30k on them

Have more time now, Axles, two years ago my trusted mechanic replaced the left axle, a year later I heard a noise when I'd pull from a stop sign at times.

I stopped by and told him I had a noise in the left front end when leaving a stop sign at times, before I finished he told me about 50% of the new axles have that issue, he put in a reman. It's been 12 month's no noise.

Have more time now, Axles, two years ago my trusted mechanic replaced the left axle, a year later I heard a noise when I'd pull from a stop sign at times.

I stopped by and told him I had a noise in the left front end when leaving a stop sign at times, before I finished he told me about 50% of the new axles have that issue, he put in a reman. It's been 12 month's no noise.

Thanks. I'm going to replace the front right and see if that helps. I know my pass. Side tre is popping but not convinced that's the noise

I'll trust the mechanic I've been using for over 30 years before I trust a service tech at a dealership. He could have been a newer tech.

I understand and agree. I'm just saying, I trust myself more than anybody else, and I couldn't find it either while the car was static. I figure, if you replace the control arms, or try to just replace the rear bushings, you still will probably buy the ball joints anyway, so it's worth a try. Fixed it for me.

• 3 years later...
Good morning all , I have a 2014 legacy same issues started with vibration felt in seat and steering .. put 4 new Cooper cs5 tires found 2 bent rims . Still had vibration. Dealer found u joint to be bad on drive shaft it had flat spot in it .. so that was replaced 520.00 took away seat vibration felt great now it back in today to figure out what the front problem is and still exists? Everything in front seems tight they say.. lol been going on for almost a year. Will keep posted if I find the issue !

Good morning all , I have a 2014 legacy same issues started with vibration felt in seat and steering .. put 4 new Cooper cs5 tires found 2 bent rims . Still had vibration. Dealer found u joint to be bad on drive shaft it had flat spot in it .. so that was replaced 520.00 took away seat vibration felt great now it back in today to figure out what the front problem is and still exists? Everything in front seems tight they say.. lol been going on for almost a year. Will keep posted if I find the issue !
There's a forum for that.

Archived