LegacyGT.com

Engine full of water...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, compression in #4 is 50. It sounded like the adjuster was on his way to the shop when I just spoke with my insurance company. Hopefully I'll have a running car soon.

BEFORE you give up, squirt oil in the cylinders and spin it over. Put a plug in that cylinder for the spin. Do it about 4-5 times for 15-20 seconds each and then re-take the compression on that cylinder. You might be surprised.

Sucks. My motor rebuild took a month :(

Luckily I have 35 days of a rental car, so it shouldn't be too big a deal even if it takes awhile.

BEFORE you give up, squirt oil in the cylinders and spin it over. Put a plug in that cylinder for the spin. Do it about 4-5 times for 15-20 seconds each and then re-take the compression on that cylinder. You might be surprised.

I'm still stuck doing school stuff, but I will pass that on to my buddy. Thanks again for all the advice.

My policy covers up to $5000 in aftermarket parts, which I hopefully won't have to use.

Great, well there ya go...and hope your back on the road soon and hope the best for you...I live in El Paso Texas where we have been flooding for a three days now, these storms are heading north and are around Albuquerque at the moment, I have seen whats been happening in your neck of the woods or mountains, very sorry to see.

You shouldn't have driven through water.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Great, well there ya go...and hope your back on the road soon and hope the best for you...I live in El Paso Texas where we have been flooding for a three days now, these storms are heading north and are around Albuquerque at the moment, I have seen whats been happening in your neck of the woods or mountains, very sorry to see.

Thanks! I just re-read the policy to make sure I understood everything. This is what it says:

"Your renewal policy includes coverage f o r custom equipment that is permanently installed. The policy provides coverage f o r custom equipment without a dollar limit; however, beginning with a future policy renewal, coverage for custom equipment will be limited to $5,000 for each covered loss.

Custom equipment includes, but isn't limited to, items such as TVs, GPS receivers and special wheel rims ("spinners") that aren't original manufacturer parts or equipment. Special paint jobs, including

graphics and murals, are also considered custom equipment."

I sure hope that if my turbo is shot, it gets replaced just as if I had "spinners" or a mural on my trunk.

You shouldn't have driven through water.

Yes.

I think I would find out the cop's name that forced you into the water and offer up a nice juicy lawsuit for the cost of the engine. His actually forcing you into the water could certainly constitute grounds, I would think. I would also bet that if you put in the newspaper what happened to your engine, I would bet that you'll find others that this idiot forced into the water with the same problem and perhaps a class action suit against the PD could be formed. MAYBE, if nothing else, you could recover your deductible from them?

Just an idea. An idiot cost you your car and your insurance company a lot of money. Might just talk to your adjuster about it too.

I think I would find out the cop's name that forced you into the water and offer up a nice juicy lawsuit for the cost of the engine. His actually forcing you into the water could certainly constitute grounds, I would think. I would also bet that if you put in the newspaper what happened to your engine, I would bet that you'll find others that this idiot forced into the water with the same problem and perhaps a class action suit against the PD could be formed. MAYBE, if nothing else, you could recover your deductible from them?

Just an idea. An idiot cost you your car and your insurance company a lot of money. Might just talk to your adjuster about it too.

This is a very good thought, and something I will pursue if I am found liable for the whole bill. I think if I just have to pay $500 for my deductible, I won't worry about it.

Good luck proving your case and good luck getting them to pay up. Playing devil's advocate here, I would say the issue was aftermarket intake causing the water ingestion

Thanks. I certainly appreciate your perspective since you are in the insurance business. If the intake is off the car when they inspect it (in order to access the spark plugs) do you think they will ask to see it?

Anything I can do to improve my odds of getting this paid for?

If they give me trouble about it, should I have the tow-truck driver write a statement agreeing that the water was about 3ft deep (which he said independently)?

Since I have USAA does that improve my chances at all?

given what first responders have been dealing with in the greater denver area lately, I might let them slide on this one.

You might right now because it's not your car that was affected. If it had been your car and you were basically forced into the water by a cop with an implied threat, and it ruined your car to the tune of $5-6K, at least on the surface with possible underlying damage that has not even been accounted for yet, you might feel differently.

Let's face it here. Crisis situation or not, the cop made him drive into the water. The water was too deep. He knew how deep it was from other vehicles he had directed through that spot. What would have happened if, say, it ended up even deeper and it resulted in death? Who would have been liable for it then?

Put it in the paper. Get the public involved. The cop was irresponsible whether it be on his own volition or by direction and I promise that this vehicle was not the only one affected.

Forced? Was he pointing a gun at the OP? The officer was directing the OP, but the OP was not "forced" into anything. People like you are ruining this country with crap like this. Get a life.

BTW, if you ever did take this to court you would get laughed at so hard it's not even funny.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Forced? Was he pointing a gun at the OP? The officer was directing the OP, but the OP was not "forced" into anything. People like you are ruining this country with crap like this. Get a life.

BTW, if you ever did take this to court you would get laughed at so hard it's not even funny.

Read the OP moron. " At a 4-way intersection, straight and right were blocked off by police cars, and left had water that looked to be quite deep. Despite this a cop was waving me through.

I stopped and starting looking to see if I could u-turn again, or back-up, but could not due to other cars. The officer directing traffic angrily motioned for me to continue. I did not move, and he appeared more annoyed. Hoping that he knew something I didn't, I went for it.

My car stalled after hitting a wave of water that was between 2 1/2 and 3 ft high. Luckily, a truck was behind me and pushed me to where the water was only on the sides of the road."

I'm not the one ruining this country, the jackass YOU voted for is.

So, I got great news today. The adjuster came to look at the car and said that insurance will replace the engine and turbo. The final details have not been worked out as far as how much they will reimburse, but that is what he told my buddy.

He did not ask any other questions, and said he had 80 claims from Thursday alone.

Read the OP moron. " At a 4-way intersection, straight and right were blocked off by police cars, and left had water that looked to be quite deep. Despite this a cop was waving me through.

I stopped and starting looking to see if I could u-turn again, or back-up, but could not due to other cars. The officer directing traffic angrily motioned for me to continue. I did not move, and he appeared more annoyed. Hoping that he knew something I didn't, I went for it.

My car stalled after hitting a wave of water that was between 2 1/2 and 3 ft high. Luckily, a truck was behind me and pushed me to where the water was only on the sides of the road."

I'm not the one ruining this country, the jackass YOU voted for is.

Way to resort to name calling. How very mature of you. :rolleyes: All I will say is if you did try and take this to court, you would lose.

OP, I am sorry that this happened to you and I hope your insurance company treats you right.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Way to resort to name calling. How very mature of you. :rolleyes: All I will say is if you did try and take this to court, you would lose.

OP, I am sorry that this happened to you and I hope your insurance company treats you right.

YOU have the audacity to make a comment about maturity after accusing "people like me that are ruining this country"? Perhaps you should step back and do a bit of self assessment.

And the woman that spilled hot coffee in her lap was told that she would never have a case either.

This is a very good thought, and something I will pursue if I am found liable for the whole bill. I think if I just have to pay $500 for my deductible, I won't worry about it.

Thanks. I certainly appreciate your perspective since you are in the insurance business. If the intake is off the car when they inspect it (in order to access the spark plugs) do you think they will ask to see it?

Anything I can do to improve my odds of getting this paid for?

If they give me trouble about it, should I have the tow-truck driver write a statement agreeing that the water was about 3ft deep (which he said independently)?

Since I have USAA does that improve my chances at all?

Yes - get all statements you can - the tow-truck driver statement should at least have some weight if there's a disagreement.

3ft is way too much for any normal car. At that depth I would only consider a serious offroader, an amphicar, any russian truck or a Sherman DD in good condition. Even 1ft can be bad enough for a normal car.

453747.png

What you guys don't get is as of right now the claim is in USAA's hands. THEY will decide chances for subrogation and getting his deductible back. This should be discussed with the rep handling the file, not a bunch of dudes on a forum.

Op, the only thing you will be out of pocket will be your deductible. USAA will then pursue the claim, if they think it has merit, to recover your deductible as well as what they paid out.

You might right now because it's not your car that was affected. If it had been your car and you were basically forced into the water by a cop with an implied threat, and it ruined your car to the tune of $5-6K, at least on the surface with possible underlying damage that has not even been accounted for yet, you might feel differently.

There is no such thing as implied threat here, I don't think you know what that term means.

In addition, the damage is not 5 or 6 thousand because under the principle of indemnity, a brand new engine is not owed, but rather a comparable one in miles and good condition. A used block won't run that much.

There is no such thing as implied threat here, I don't think you know what that term means.

In addition, the damage is not 5 or 6 thousand because under the principle of indemnity, a brand new engine is not owed, but rather a comparable one in miles and good condition. A used block won't run that much.

Of course I know what the term means. He said the cop looked at him angrily and if you don't do what a cop tells you, then you end up with a consequence just because he's a cop and he can irregardless if whether it's correct or not. Cops are never wrong. All you have to do is go to court for a traffic ticket sometime and find out that the cop will say whatever he has to say in order for you to lose. The judge looks at the cop and then at you and who is he going to believe?

At any rate, if that happens it happens. You don't take into account that there is most likely water in transmission, differentials, and most likely interior damage. Water most likely also found it's way into the uni-body and frame rails too.

Take into account the cost of parts and labor to check everything out, replace everything that's bad, and add it all up, and I would guess that's the ball park figure.

Well, I'm glad this stimulated some conversation.

As fishbone said, I don't have to worry about any of the legal issues, since USAA will take that up if they feel it is warranted. I did tell USAA the exact story that I posted here, so they are aware.

I'm also glad that they did not question the intake set-up, because in all honesty, my car would have had the same problem with the stock intake. I'm almost certain that water went over the front of the hood. I also noticed that there was water sitting in the depressions on the top of the block, and on the top of the intake manifold when I got to the shop.

There were lots of other cars stalled nearby, but none in that exact intersection. I don't remember any other cars going through immediately in front or behind me, just trucks and SUVs.

I am relieved and very glad that USAA will cover the engine and turbo. The adjuster did say that he might be able to find a used engine (I'll be taking a check, not parts from them).

^ Glad its sounding like its going to work out for you, usaa is a very good insurance..we used to get alot of claims from them even for a sandblast or wind damage claims that will do a full de-trim and respray for the Gi's personal vehicles as long as the damage happened while parked on base. I think each of those jobs depending on size of the vehicles ease between $1800-3k for a paintjob. Right when you said you had usaa insurance I knew they would play ball.

Archived