LegacyGT.com

Any issues with running at 110mph for 50 minutes?

• Moderators
If your car burns enough oil to cause problems in 50 minutes at 110 mph, then it should probably not be on the road in the first place.

If you're going for 5 hours at that speed, then stop at some point and check the damned oil.

then you'll run out of gas...

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree. Car will be fine.

Remember we are talking about the company that, in 1989, ran a car 100,000km at an average speed (including pit stops) of 138.78mph.

If this is the same reference then here is an excerpt:

Legacy's American competition feats outside of rallying (virtually invisible on the American landscape in those days) include setting an FIA endurance record, using a Japan-spec Legacy at the company's test facility outside of Phoenix. It shattered the 100,000 km FIA World Land Endurance Record by maintaining an average speed of 138.780 mph (223.345 km/h) for 447 hours, 44 minutes and 9.887 seconds, or 181/2 days.

Full Link

I think my family road trip with the wife, 2 kids, and all our luggage and misc. crap was harder on the car than what the OP is planning. Sure, we weren't doing 110 for an hour, but we were going 80 up and down all sorts of hills with a heavily loaded car. Then there were the passes coming out of Phoenix and into Colorado. I wasn't doing 80 on them, but even at 60 the turbo was running the whole time.

As for oil usage, the car didn't burn over a 1/4 qt. in 2,000 miles. Lol, my Nissan Maxima burns more than that in a week, just commuting in the city. I just wish the gas mileage wasn't in the low 20's for the whole trip.

If this is the same reference then here is an excerpt:

Legacy's American competition feats outside of rallying (virtually invisible on the American landscape in those days) include setting an FIA endurance record, using a Japan-spec Legacy at the company's test facility outside of Phoenix. It shattered the 100,000 km FIA World Land Endurance Record by maintaining an average speed of 138.780 mph (223.345 km/h) for 447 hours, 44 minutes and 9.887 seconds, or 181/2 days.

Full Link

Much thanks for posting this article. Excellent to read the history of the car that we all covet so much.

• 2 weeks later...

For posterity, I drove 600km (round trip) in a Ford Galaxy van today with the throttle pinned going around 180kph. There were occasional slow downs for traffic and some construction, but for the most part it was flat out.

No roll cage or racing gear necessary.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Those speeds are a lot less stressful when you aren't worried there is a cop behind every pebble. Since this is a sanctioned event, just have fun.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The original question Just seems silly to me. First thing that pops in my head is have these people never driven on a highway before. Lol. Yesterday I drove to 550 miles. 275 from Pinellas to Miami. The way there I wasn't in a hurry. But the way back I averaged 90mph. My car is a stock beat up legacy wagon with 205,*** miles on it. If I didn't need a front wheel bearing and some other with front suspension parts I would have been going much faster.

I have traveled very long distances at high speeds in old crappy cars many a time, never a problem.

The original question Just seems silly to me. First thing that pops in my head is have these people never driven on a highway before. Lol. Yesterday I drove to 550 miles. 275 from Pinellas to Miami. The way there I wasn't in a hurry. But the way back I averaged 90mph. My car is a stock beat up legacy wagon with 205,*** miles on it. If I didn't need a front wheel bearing and some other with front suspension parts I would have been going much faster.

I have traveled very long distances at high speeds in old crappy cars many a time, never a problem.

Darwin & Miami police have a few questions for you.

Archived