LegacyGT.com

How Much Did You Spend (Major/Minor Repairs)

Greetings All,

I finally finished payments on my vehicle a shade under 4 months ago. I am loving being payment free. However there is no such thing as a free lunch.

That being true I have a bit of repair work coming up and I wanted to know what the average cost of it would be. My neighbor/good friend runs his own shop, been going to him for years as he has always been good to me and gives a great under the table style deal.

Some things he's noted that I may need, though don't necessarily need are as follows:

• Major Repairs - Engine Oil Leaks
  • Head Gaskets - Leaking
  • Valve Cover Gasket (2) Plug Seals (4)
  • Head Bolts

• 4 Tires 205/50 ZR17

• Front Lower Control Arms
  • Front Sway Bar Links/Bushings

The above was verbatim from my friend. I realize his prices may vary but I just wanted to ball park it. He has helped me out so much I thought maybe I could get a few of these taken care of outside of his shop (he's been extremely busy and I don't want to add pressure / tension).

I also thought the Head Gasket leak might be covered by Subaru themselves perhaps? I am taking the vehicle in on Monday to get the brake line recall inspected.

Thoughts and comments please and thank you.

• Moderators

Head/valve cover gaskets, maybe $1500. For the Lower Control Arms (LCAs), you probably don't need new arms, just new bushings. Maybe around $100 for all new stock bushings ($150 for aftermarket), $100 to press the new bushings in, and $300 or so in labor for the rest of the job.

Replacement endlinks / bushings might be $100 from subaru, not sure. Replacement could probably be lumped in with the LCA work.

So about $2k give or take si my guess.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

How much did I spend on repairs....really !

I bet I've paid for my wagon twice in the 9+years I've owned it. Getting ready to dump another 1500 into it next week.

BTW how do you know your HG's are leaking ? End links from Moog are like $30.00 each or less. Why do you need Z rated tires ? Look at the on-line auto parts stores and you can find prices.

Labor rates for a shop should be about $90 a hour depending on where you live. The dealer is more like $110 an hour.

I do cash at my buddies shops and they give me a break.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You're talking 2.5i, right??

so, What oil leaks do you have?

The valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, and plug gaskets are so dang easy to do, do those yourself.

Do you have overheating issues, or have diagnosed a leaky HG?? If not, keep driving the 2.5i and just wait until it's REALLY long in the tooth, like 200K+ or until your compression and leakdown numbers go to crap.

There is no reason to replace the head bolts. They are not torque-to-yield and there's no spec in the FSM about max length, etc. I would use them over and over again in an N/A motor. High HP/boost turbo motors, ehhh one re-use and then replace them or just get head studs anyways.

What about the timing belt and water pump????? Not on his list. Those are required items at 105K intervals. If they have already been done once, great. If not, factor that in.

And if you have any oil leaks from the crank seal, cam seals, etc.... change those when the t-belt gets done.

What about valve clearance checks?? Not on his list. Also easy to do and you might as well when the valve covers are off. Right per the FSM, easy to adjust no different buckets/lifters required. You can do all that with the engine in the car, including the HG - you can remove the heads in the car albeit if there are potential shortblock problems or a leaky rear main seal or oil separator plate, need to yank the motor.

Fuel line replacements - $550, cut down to $74

Engine Rebuild - $4,400 - rusting rings

Radiator Failure 98K - $350

Two front axles (cv boot faliure) - $220 each

Regular maintenance brakes/rotors/fluids/tires on par, be it more frequent then with my Honda's.

You're talking 2.5i, right??

Yes

so, What oil leaks do you have?

I haven't noticed any leaking on the driveway, this is just what he's noticed under the hood when he does my oil changes.

The valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, and plug gaskets are so dang easy to do, do those yourself.

I did the Spark plugs myself but i've never touched any kind of gasket before.

Do you have overheating issues, or have diagnosed a leaky HG??

No overheating issues, I have had every shop / and friend tell me that my head gaskets are leaking since i've owned the car. It was my understanding that "Subaru's just do that"

What about the timing belt and water pump????? Not on his list. Those are required items at 105K intervals. If they have already been done once, great. If not, factor that in.

Taken care of at 110k, ty for looking out.

@MAxCapacity, I get the cash benefit as well so my rates are cheaper too. Just wanted a ball park figure. Got Homeowners payments coming up so need to plan ahead a little bit here.

As stated above the HG have leaked since I got the car, haven't had any issues yet but I figure if he's in there I may as well get it cleaned up.

I'm not trying to run this car for another year or two and buy a new one. I'm planning on running this car for another 8 years or so I'm liking having no Car Payment so I want this thing to last.

If you have a head gasket leaking, you have bigger problems. The result will be coolant in the oil.

Iguessing they are saying the valve cover gaskets are leaking and mix up words and call them head gaskets.

You can go to a independant garage that has a Hydrocarbon tester and have them test your radiator from HC's.

If you have a HG leak it will most likely show up there.

A HG job is about $1200-1500.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

If you think you have a HG leaking. Have it checked by shop that has a HC tester. That will give you a good indication if you have a issue.

The ej2XX's from the late 1990's were known for HG issues around 100,000 miles. I guessing that's what your being told.

The ej255's in the GT's are not known to have HG issues.

Before you pay that kind of money I think you'd want more proof.

What you don't want is coolant getting into the oil system. That attack's the engine bearings.

So if in fact they mean HG's and not valve covers you should have it looked into.

"Ask them if they mean valve cover gasket not head gaskets".

The ej255 in the GT's are known for VC gasket on the passenger side leaking. In the rear corner.

When I pulled my engine at 154,000 miles mine was slightly leaking, not enough to cause smoke from tthe oil dripping on the up pipe to the turbo.

In this thread you can find the service manuals, You might enjoy looking thru them.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wants-see-my-vacation-pixi-6216.html

Also in the very first forum there is a sticky for "opposed forces" open that and you see the same books the parts guy's at the dealers order from.

09 2.5i

@82,000 miles: Clutch Kit (TOB, Pilot Bearing, Clutch disc) + Rear Engine main seal which was starting to seep - $1,400 at the stealership. Oh how I miss having a garage...

Naturally with the 5MT the TOB was dead, the clutch was only about half worn.

@jp233 I haven't looked under my hood personally. I probably should, been busy trying to fix up my Jeep before summer is over.

My mechanics have told me "its leaking, drops onto the exhaust and burns off" thats why I don't see any oil build up under my car where I park supposedly.

But I don't smell burned oil when I drive either, shouldn't I if its leaking and burning off all whilst I drive?

@jp233 I haven't looked under my hood personally. I probably should, been busy trying to fix up my Jeep before summer is over.

My mechanics have told me "its leaking, drops onto the exhaust and burns off" thats why I don't see any oil build up under my car where I park supposedly.

But I don't smell burned oil when I drive either, shouldn't I if its leaking and burning off all whilst I drive?

You will smell burning oil if it is in fact leaking. I highly doubt it now that you've told us this...get a second opinion.

Like I said earlier if they mean valve cover leaking that's a whole lot cheaper the a head gasket leaking.

These cars are know to have the passenger side valve cover leak. You'll see smoke from time to time come out the hood scope.

GET A SECOND OPINION. Or get under the car your self and look around. With a few bolts and clips you can drop the bottom engine cover and see a lot.

just throwing this out there, i did my sway bar end links and bushings myself. end links were 28$ shipped via ebay (from foreign autoparts) and the bushings were from my local subaru dealer (discounted price because i know an employee) @ 10$ for both. considering discounted prices, i would say you'd be looking at spending around 60$?

so i would think doing just that alone yourself might be worth doing if you've got some simple limited tools and a jack/jackstands.

im a subaru newbie myself, but have worked on many of them as well as many other cars, and i have to agree that an HC test on your cooling system would be a good idea if you are concerned/looking at possible head gasket replacement.

So, if its losing oil you better be noticing that and refilling!!!

Just get a flashlight, shop towels, and brake cleaner, spray gently on a towel and clean everything well... Then drive it awhile and see where is freshly coveted in oil. I bet its the valve cover gaskets and they are so easy to change!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Archived