LegacyGT.com

For the 2006 models - no choice between beige or black leather?

Yep, If you want black interior you are limited to a black, silver or red car. All other colors come with the tan interior. Really sucks as i wanted the black interior with a white car.

I don't see why subaru would do this. Can this really save them money?

They really have some dumb bean counters working over at SOA. The word trim on the beige looks terrible IMHO, the JDM greyish wood trim looks so much better. I guess they figured the wood trim in the USDM version was cheaper and that's why they went with it.

That's a given fact when they don't even offer navi. on m/t or wagons. :dm:

This is news? I have been screaming bloody murder for weeks and months about this, as well as the manual trans being pulled from the wagon, and the irrelevance of NAV to the trans choice.

BTW: if you want a Wagon with a stick, or a black sedan with a black interior and a stick, get thee to Omaha. Stan Olsen Subaru has a few 05s left:

Black on black GT Limited 5MT sedan, and a Regal Blue Pearl on Taupe Leather Wagon with a 5MT. Both combos are going away for 06. They had a few more, but I'll post them in a new thread.

Guest clawdnb
The word trim on the beige looks terrible IMHO, the JDM greyish wood trim looks so much better

GRIPPIN GRAIIIIINNNN!!!!!

none of you black interior guys can lean out of your window and yell that at other motorists like i can...hahah, long live the fake wood and creme leather

I don't see why subaru would do this. Can this really save them money?

Yes, reducing product mix will always result in cost savings. Every unique product combination costs money to manage -- that applies in any manufacturing industry.

Unfortunatley, I think Subaru based their decision on how buyers voted with their dollars for the 2005 model line up. They probably dropped the combinations that sold the least.

Ken

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yeah, technically, it does save money. However, the cost was probably already figured into the car, since it had the option for it's first year of production in the Indiana plant, as well as some margin on the car as a whole.

Last I checked, the price of the Legacy has not gone down, but rather UP for 06! More money for less choice!

And here's the kicker. if SOA LOSES SALES LIKE MINE (and it very likely has), IT LOSES MORE MONEY FROM SELLING FEWER UNITS THAN IT SAVES OFFERING THE OPTION AT SLIGHTLY HIGHER COST, which has already been accounted for anyway. Moron SOA Bean-counters... Used Legacy sales mean no money on your balance sheet.

Why do you think that Scion, Mini, and a whole slew of cars that offer LOTS of options still make money??? Because the expense is factored in, and people have the options they want to buy, and they sell lots of units as a result.

Why do you think that Scion, Mini, and a whole slew of cars that offer LOTS of options still make money??? Because the expense is factored in, and people have the options they want to buy, and they sell lots of units as a result.

. . . at what is agueably a higher profit margin, too.

Subaru's always been one of the best bangs for the buck, and I think they're reminding themselves of that. The fact that the 2006 costs a little more than the 2005 shouldn't really surprise us. That's just business.

It isn't the higher price part that burns me up.

It is the fact that you get less choice for those extra dollars. That means less value. That is the problem.

If it were more money for the same, I would chalk it up to normal inflation. If it were more money for more content, I would have no problem.

And frankly, If I am going to finance a car that new for as long as I would have to, something like 4-5 years, and if I keep it as long as I likely will, probably 6-8 years or longer, then I want to be satisfied with the car.

I don't want to be saying "Boy, I wish this car had a black interior, but oh-well..." Or "Boy, I wish I had bought one in that other color...", or "oh, I wish I had sprung for the Manual Transmission, instead." for the better part of a decade. It will have to be what I want, or I'll buy something else. That is capitalism 101, last I checked.

It would almost be better if they hadn't offered the option to begin with. Offering the choice, and then yanking it later almost seems like a betrayal. But I am not going to complain too loud about that, because the likeliest schenario is that I won't pay SOA, and I'll buy a used 05 LGT in the color combo that I want, and go from there.

About the only way SOA is gonna get my sale for a new Legacy now, is by selling me a Spec B for at or under 30k, (should be possible, if they stagnate on dealer lots, which they may well do.) Or if they come out with a WR Blue Turbo Legacy; a GT, Spec B, or STi, something. I have a little time to wait... Whatcha gonna do, SOA?

Yes, reducing product mix will always result in cost savings. Every unique product combination costs money to manage -- that applies in any manufacturing industry.

Unfortunatley, I think Subaru based their decision on how buyers voted with their dollars for the 2005 model line up. They probably dropped the combinations that sold the least.

Ken

Bah, reducing total number of options saves money but in these days of fully computerized manufacturing, different combinations of options don't cost much extra if at all.

Bah, reducing total number of options saves money but in these days of fully computerized manufacturing, different combinations of options don't cost much extra if at all.

Actually, I was pointing out my example more from an administrative perspective rather than a manufacturing one. Each and every unique product option/combination costs money to keep on the books and manage.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not trying to defend Subaru for axing choices. I'm just trying to let people know that offering options and combinations is not free in the business world.

Ken

Why they would take a black interior out of Regal Blue is a decison that will always baffle me. This color was meant to be complemented by black.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/163-6315_IMG.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/163-6316_IMG.jpg

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Mini = lots of great options (mmm blue leather :D )

the word is the chances of finding an identical Mini to one you configure is 1/100K. Yeah....no profit in that!! Just look at the sales numbers, the resale value and the lines of people paying MSRP or higher. :rolleyes:

Yeah the wood trim is enough to make me not want the 2006 Atlantic Pearl Blue. Danggit SOA is making stupid decisions these days. I don't mind the leather color but the wood just cheeses it out.

I wonder if there is a way to get the dark grey JDM wood trim. Have you seen it?

- Mike

I thought that the matrix that Axis008 posted, which I can't find at the moment said that taupe was the color interior that 06 Legacy gets.

Black interiors come on Garnet Red Pearl, Brilliant Silver Metallic, and Satin white Pearl.

Taupe interiors for Regal and Atlantic Blue Pearls, and Obsidian Black Pearl, and ALL Outbacks.

I could be remembering it incorrectly, but this seems like what I remember.

And for those not liking the woodgrain in the Taupe interior, but liking it otherwise, one might consider clearcoating it, to make it look more like authentic polyurethane coated wood.

The grey burl parts might be sourced from Taiwan, or Europe, where the cars are sourced from japan, but are LHD. (OEM hids, wagon rear foglights, etc, as well...)

Or one could get the silver parts from a black-interior car, and either keep the silver trim, or painting it. A darker carbon grey or something might look nice with taupe.

Personally, I am not sold on a light tan interior. I have that in my truck, and it is always showing dust, and just isn't as cool and sleek as black. I don't mind it in my truck, where I can get in with dirty clothes, muddy boots, etc, and not worry so much, but I want something a little more formal in a nicer car.

I will be holding out for a black interior, or the spec B red if it is nice, or some future blue alcantara setup... The fit and finish of the interior of either color is nice, it is just my personal color preference. After seeing Taupe in a RBP GT Manual Wagon this weekend... (somebody here should go get it before they are all gone!) and comparing it to the RBP-Black Leather car I test drove, and OCDetails shows in his pics, I have no doubt that Black is the right choice for me.

I did see a few BMW M3s on the adjacent lot (Ford, Subaru, Hyundai, Mazda, Saab, Audi, Porsche, VW, and BMW all in a close arrangement) and three of them had red leather interiors, and if the Spec B interior looks like that, it might be quite nice. I might really consider it if the cars sit on lots, and get discounted to the point that I can afford it.

I agree about the RBP should have black interior, the tan is nice, but in such color as the RBP, the black interior blends in better. Also, I don't like that much the wood trim in the tan, otherwise is nice color.

I preferred the Taupe interior on my Atlantic Blue Pearl Legacy, mainly because of hot days. Leather interior is hot enough as it is. I imagine sitting in a black leather car on a 95 degree day would be the equivalent of sitting on a frying pan. That's just me. Also, I understand the headliner is taupe even in black cars, which doesn't make much sense to me.

Archived