LegacyGT.com

Out with the old

In with the new.

Spark plugs that is.Is there any procedure in replacing such an small essential part to complete the combustion cycle.

I've even heard its necessary to drop the engine,,,,,,say it ain't so,,,,,,Joe.

It's the 2.5 turbo engine ,and changing plugs should not be that difficult but I've heard otherwise.

Any info,,,will be greatly appreciated.

This is beyond belief,,my concern were years as opposed to mileage .I have less than 24K on the car,,and I guess old memories die hard when it comes to their replacement.

Remember the 12-12 maintenance ,,filters,plugs ,etc.

What is the reasoning behind making it near impossible access?Another reason you must see the dealer.....

Are those plugs ,initial equipment good for the 100,000 they say they are....

The car in question is the 06 Spc B.It just seems to me to be an unnatural freak of nature even if their made of platinum to last as long as advertised.

This is beyond belief,,my concern were years as opposed to mileage .I have less than 24K on the car,,and I guess old memories die hard when it comes to their replacement.

Remember the 12-12 maintenance ,,filters,plugs ,etc.

What is the reasoning behind making it near impossible access?Another reason you must see the dealer.....

Are those plugs ,initial equipment good for the 100,000 they say they are....

The car in question is the 06 Spc B.It just seems to me to be an unnatural freak of nature even if their made of platinum to last as long as advertised.

they have should iridium tips. the newer style ones last much longer than the old copper ones. just look at how a penny ages and compare that to a platinum or titanium wedding band (iridium is very resilient like platinum or titanium.)

were did you get an 06 with that low millage, mine literally has 5x more than yours and it was one of the lower mileage ones i found.

They lowered the engine in these cars so the center of gravity is lower so it handles better.

Earlier legacy's had the engine sitting higher in the bay.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

With the right tools, you can get by without removing anything on drivers side, and for passenger side, the airbox and maybe the turbo coolant reservoir. A quarter inch drive set, with extensions and swivels(make sure you have 2) and you can do all 4 in an hour. Proper tools makes any job easy.

lifting the engine is the easiest. two large bolts on the motor mount. takes 5 mins max.

If you have an aftermarket swaybar thats thicker, its damn near impossible to get to motor mount bolts without having to remove bottom brace to get the sway out the way to get to the bolts. By the time I jack car up, and do all that, I would have changed 2 plugs already.

Plugs are harder then they ought to be, but are not difficult. 30 minutes for the well trained and 90 minutes for the first time. If you are unable to change plugs, then you should reconsider doing most of the other maintenance on your car.

Also, make sure to put a small dab of anti-sieze compound on the threads of the new plugs. It will make them easier to get out next time and prevent the possibility of galling which could result in some less than exciting thread repairs.

Good luck, and take your time.

What am I missing here..

Since maybe the 1980's there has been a concerted effort to eliminate even a relatively skilled weekend mechanic from the loop.

With the advent of computer hookups required even to point out the obvious the manufacturers maneuvered to for all intents and purposes have the maintenance and upkeep exclusively theirs.Granted,there are exceptions to the rules but even those lucky souls need to be constantly reading and upgrading their skills.

One last query,,,are any of those fuel injection cleaners worthwhile,,,do any function as advertised,,,or is it simply another hose job.

Archived