LegacyGT.com

Auto up/down windows

tantal

Yes, EDM Legacy has auto down & up driver's window!! I am trying to find out the part #. Looks like our cars are wired for auto-up. The question is what is missing - support for it in the switch? Or maybe it's disabled somehow.

My guess is that it is the switch. Perhaps a jumper of some sort... In any case, I will have a look once I peel the door apart...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am adapting AutoWindow range of products to work in Legacy, in conjunction with a DEI 530T. (You need one 530T per 2 windows). These DEI modules are known to work in Subaru Legacy, so that's good.

I've run the DEI 530T bench tests and know how it works. I also know what to tap in the car (did most of it for Retained Accessory Power module, and Tap Turn module). I'm looking at the signal timing in the car now and writing the software. It will be a real trick figuring out a nice way to keep the programmability aspects (using just the remote).

The first modules I want to get working are AutoWindow Classic, and the Cool+, with Nite sensor, and Rain sensor options. Surprisingly, it looks like I will be able to keep most of the remote button sequences for AutoWindow mostly unchanged for Subaru and they will do similar functions (as shown on the web site). The VENT works a little differently with DEI modules in the mix, and it appears the OPEN command will have a bit of a weird jitter: first it will vent windows a bit, then they drop the whole way.

But anyway... I will obviously keep you posted!

Regards

Scott

check out http://www.autowindow.com

I talked to a friendly dealership in Europe. They have a USDM Legacy there and they said they tried EDM window switch in it and got driver's auto-up to work. I need yet to get this confirmed, but it seems that could be a plug and play option to get the driver's auto-up at least. I should know soon how much the EDM switch is going for.

Scott - your work sounds awesome. Keep us posted.

My guess is that it is the switch. Perhaps a jumper of some sort... In any case, I will have a look once I peel the door apart...

Okay. After burning a day, I finally got the DEI 530T installed (pictures and details are forthcoming).

So here is my status: DEI 530T is installed (only wanted one to control the front windows...) Both the driver's side and passenger's side are auto up and down.

BUT: I was unsuccessful with my meager attempts to control the windows via the remote. I ran the orange wire from the DEI to the Light Green/Yellow lock wire (to roll up windows on lock press of the remote) and the red/white wire from the DEI to the white/black wire that is used to unlock the gate. I had previously separated this wire so that it was lying dormant (not connected to the gate anymore). The thought here was to roll the windows down when pressing the gate button. No luck here... Not sure if I connected to the wrong wires or if I need the relay setup... ...more experimentation is needed.

Other things I learned:

1) The door panel removal is a bit of a pain.

2) Squeezing cables from the door into the cabin. Huge huge huge pain. Save some time for this non-fun activity. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47079

3) Old volleyball kneepads are useful.

4) I ran into some trouble with the passenger's window working fine, but the driver's side window not working at all. Two things came of this: a) Always check that your taps are solidly engaged. My problem here was that the ground wire for the motor was not connected all the way. b) Not sure that the switch in the driver's door contains the module or any means to activate the auto-up mechanism. I took that sucker completely apart and it is quite spartan in there.

5) Oh yeah, the manual says to install the DEI unit in the car. Well shoot. Mine's in the door...

More later....

PolarDog

PolarDog - the trick with the 530T is that it needs held input signals, not pulses. All the remote buttons produce pulses on the wires coming out of the BIU (even if you hold the buttons down). The AutoWindow modules I'm talking about earlier will convert these signals into something the 530T can deal with.. With your 530T working, you will be in good shape to install one of these AutoWindow mod's when it's ready. It really is best to put the 530T in the car, I'd recommend under the driver's side dash, running 2 x 14 AWG + 2 x 20 AWG into each door from there.

Regards

Scott

I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to have full one-touch up/down power windows in my car.

K i'm to lazy to read all the pages to see if anyone has checked or suggested this, but your window switch for the drivers window, find out if that switch is an individual switch, or if all the window switchs are as one unit, because if it's a seperate switch, find out from a dealer or a junk yard and scavange up a few and put them in on all 3 other doors.. don't know if it'd work but it's a thought

PolarDog - the trick with the 530T is that it needs held input signals, not pulses. All the remote buttons produce pulses on the wires coming out of the BIU (even if you hold the buttons down).

Excellent! This explains many things. So, we're looking at some type of relay / timer device then...

It really is best to put the 530T in the car...

Yep. Its just that I'm not yet up to going through the fiasco of running wires through the door again! :)

Thanks again for the valuable info! I'll keep an eye out for your future posts!

PolarDog

K i'm to lazy to read all the pages to see if anyone has checked or suggested this, but your window switch for the drivers window, find out if that switch is an individual switch, or if all the window switchs are as one unit, because if it's a seperate switch, find out from a dealer or a junk yard and scavange up a few and put them in on all 3 other doors.. don't know if it'd work but it's a thought

The driver's side window switch is one big unit. Methinks that any visit to the trash heap will be fruitless (no pun intended).

...and remember the famous words of Mark Twain: "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them."

So read the good threads lazybones! :)

PolarDog

Well folks, I am just about tapped out today on this topic. Here's where I am:

I've got auto up and down from the door switches. Works pretty good.

I've installed a relay to remove the link between the 530t and the door lock (had a situation for a while where if you lock the doors, the windows would automatically open---not good).

Now I have the "trunk unlock" line (from the BIM) feeding the aux input (red wire with white stripe) on the 530t. So when I press the trunk unlock button on the remote, the windows open. Pretty cool

Here the "But" part: But when I connect the "Lock" input from the BIM, to the "ground when armed" input to the 530T, everything stops working from the remote. I was expecting that a lock press on the remote would roll the windows up, and a trunk unlock would roll the windows down.

And while I am at it, what is with the 530T instructions? It says that if after you connect the module, you have auto up and down and control of the windows with the remote. Who are they fooling?

Man. So close yet so far.

Anyway, pretty disappointing day. Guess I'll wrap it up and go clean up the car so I can drive it tomorrow. :(

I would like to know as well. I have skimmed all the thread, but I never caught if you replaced the switches in the door? So how exactly does the auto up work? is it just like the auto down now? is it two pressure levels to go down a little and a little more pressure and auto down?

Thanks,

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I would like to know as well. I have skimmed all the thread, but I never caught if you replaced the switches in the door? So how exactly does the auto up work? is it just like the auto down now? is it two pressure levels to go down a little and a little more pressure and auto down?

Thanks,

I think the cost is containable (DEI530T module $53.07, and a 5 pole relay, with leads, for $15 and finally an in-line fuse for $5). This is for just the front windows. Tack on another $53.07 for the back windows if you so desire...

No changes in the switches required. After the install, they work as if by magic: Press and hold down for a second and the windows automatically go down. If you press or lift while the windows are traveling, they will stop. Lift and hold up for second and they will go automatically up. If you press or lift while the windows are traveling, they will stop. No extra pressure or extra clicks...

• 5 months later...
I got a ballpark quote of $250 to get the window rolldown/up via remote up and running. With a black wagon in San Diego and summer on the way, I am considering this mod but can't quite bring myself to shell out the $$.

• 1 month later...

Check out AutoWindow module that works with DEI's in Legacy.

If you have or are getting the DEI's installed, this mod is for you - for sure.

AutoWindow offers much better control over remote window operation... when you want it, when you don't, options to change, thermo sensing, rain sensing, night sensing... to automatically shut vented windows. Knock yourself out!

Leave all the switches stock. Forget about adding relays, AutoWindow is microcontroller based product using software that has been specifically designed to drive DEI 530T module/s in the Legacy.

Check it out:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62586

Cheers

Scott

• 5 months later...

Archived