LegacyGT.com

Auto up/down windows

tantal

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ta da! Here I am...

Basically, John M knows the secret...I adapted the DEI window modules to work with the stock OEM keyless system. This took a bit of work because I needed to differentiate between the "lock" signal from the remote and the "lock" signal from the door switch.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't this involve splicing the DEI box into the circuit for the window actuator? Does subaru have a decent window circuit or is complicated? I've seen some setups that use relays and such so they don't have to run the bigger wires that carry all the current to the window acuator. I had to rewire most of the system to make it work correctly. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the window and lock circuits?

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't this involve splicing the DEI box into the circuit for the window actuator?

Well, yes and no. "Yes" in that you do need to splice into the motor wires; for the driver's window, this requires going into the door, but all the passenger ones can be found at the door harness in the driver's kick panel. "No" in that it takes extra parts to connect it to the OEM keyless system. If you only use the modules and nothing else, then all you end up with is one touch up/down from the door switches.

You could get about 1/2way there without cutting any wires by just swapping in a window control module from a Nissan Murano or Infiniti FX/QX. The reason for this is because Subaru uses Nissan (and interestingly enough, Mitsubishi) electronics...but the cheap-drivers-side-only ones :rolleyes:

You could get about 1/2way there without cutting any wires by just swapping in a window control module from a Nissan Murano or Infiniti FX/QX. The reason for this is because Subaru uses Nissan (and interestingly enough, Mitsubishi) electronics...but the cheap-drivers-side-only ones :rolleyes:

Can you give a brief walk-through on this option? One-touch up for the driver's window is all I need.

Tom

Here is the install guide for a 530T from directed. They can be had for about $50 on ebay and will control 2 windows.

For everyone's info, the Subaru window systems in both Imprezas and Legacies are DEI Type "A" (rest at ground).

And now for changing the lock unlock to use as an aux for the window stuff:

According to wiring diagrams there are 4 outputs from the "Body Integrated Unit" that control the lock system.

A7 is normally grounded, and goes to +12V on lock

A8 is normally grounded, and goes to +12V on unlock for all actuators

A22 is normally grounded, and goes to +12V on trunk pop

A23 is normally grounded, and goes to +12V on driver unlock

The actuators are wired like this:

A23 --- (driver lock) --- A7 --- (all other locks) --- A8

So you can see how if A23 goes high it will unlock just the driver door, if A7 goes high it will unlock all the doors, and if A8 goes high all the other locks will unlock. At first I thought just cut A8 and splice the actuator side to A23, which would make all the doors unlock when you press the unlock button on the key. then, when you hit unlock the second time, it would trigger A8 and you could do whatever you wanted with it. But, I think when you hit the lock/unlock button in the car it will bring both A23 and A8 high. If you are using A8 as your window function, it would roll down the windows if you hit the unlock switch in the car. So that shot down that idea... any one have any input?

My best idea is to see if the lock/unlock stays high when you hold the button. In that case you could use a time delay to trigger your window down function.

I got this info from:

15-Body\Security&Locks\03-Keyless Entry System.pdf

13-Electrical\46-Keyless Entry.pdf

Can you give a brief walk-through on this option? One-touch up for the driver's window is all I need.

Tom

1. Go to closest Nissan/Infiniti dealership.

2. Test out the window switches in as many different models as you can find.

3. Determine which one you like best.

4. Go to parts counter and order a replacement window switch for the particular model identified in step 3.

5. Pick up module when it arrives.

6. Remove stock module and replace with new one.

7. Voila!

Make sure that the Nissan module you are planning on buying has the same number and location of buttons as the Legacy. Please don't bother asking me which one in particular, because I don't know, nor am I going to spend the time necessary to figure it out. If you are not comfortable with this process and/or the inherent risk involved, then find a friendly installer and have him/her put a 530T in for you instead ;)

But, I think when you hit the lock/unlock button in the car it will bring both A23 and A8 high. If you are using A8 as your window function, it would roll down the windows if you hit the unlock switch in the car. So that shot down that idea... any one have any input?

This is, in fact, exactly what happens. The secret is to cut A8, use the BIM end to control the windows and connect the actuator end to the actuator end of A23 (which also needs to be cut). Together these wires go to pin 30 on a relay. Pin 87A goes to the BIM end of A23, whereas 86 and 87 should be connected to +12V (fused) which can be found at pin B7. Finally, 85 should connect to the door switch side of pin A29 which should be cut as well. Thus the switch will still send +12V to the unlock motors, but won't trigger the BIM.

My best idea is to see if the lock/unlock stays high when you hold the button. In that case you could use a time delay to trigger your window down function.

Again, right on the money. However, pins A8 and A23 do *not* stay high, they are only pulsed. This is enough, however, to trigger a timed relay, which can hold the necessary signal for the window modules to complete their roll-down cycle.

-Dave

Cool. I didn't think of that. That's great and all, but it involves hacking up that part pretty bad. You'd also loose the driver/all unlock function and the function that won't let you lock the keys in the car. A cleaner way would be to add some electronics. It would watch the A8 pin, and after being unlocked twice it would roll all the windows down (DEI's input needs to be held for 3 seconds). If it saw three unlocks, it would vent (DEI's input it pressed momentarily). So the "black box" would need to do the following:

if 2 toggles within x time, hold output for 3 sec

if 3 toggle within x time, toggle output

Any electronics gurus wanna chime in on how hard this circuit would be to make?

Cool. I didn't think of that. That's great and all, but it involves hacking up that part pretty bad. You'd also loose the driver/all unlock function and the function that won't let you lock the keys in the car.

Well, yes you do have to cut a number of wires, but it's quite straight forward and works very well. This is something that I got from ScoobyMods.com originally and just modified to work with the Leg.

You do NOT lose "the function that won't let you lock the keys in the car". I know because it was driving me crazy while I was attempting to do this mod for the first time :lol: I guess you'll just have to trust me on that. If anyone has thought about this mod too much, it's me...

A cleaner way would be to add some electronics.

Well, yeah, but that could also end up being too expensive. And you'd either have to make a custom interface plug or you'd still end up cutting and splicing wires. There are about 3-4 mods on my car that I'd love to have nice clean "black boxes" for, but in the end it's just not worth the time and energy needed to design and create them for such a small production run. IMHO at least.

I'm glad this has spurred so much discussion, though. If anyone has any ideas, please chime in!

-Dave

Am I to read this as stating that Nissan makes window switches that are idential to ours -- plug & play? I like our switches, both in operation and illumination. If Nissan has some similar that will plug in and offer full auto operation, I'll spend the bux.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Am I to read this as stating that Nissan makes window switches that are idential to ours -- plug & play? I like our switches, both in operation and illumination. If Nissan has some similar that will plug in and offer full auto operation, I'll spend the bux.

+1 someone get us some part numbers and prices!

It's not that Nissan makes identical switches to Subaru...it's that Subaru uses Nissan switches altogether! If you take them out you will see "Nissan" stamped on the side of the module. Interchangeable parts at its finest...

The funny thing is that I want to get rid of mine since all the windows are automatic and I either want all the switches to say "auto" or none of them.

Can anyone here recommend a good parts web site for Nissan, similar to subaruparts.com?

"Made by Nissan" and "will plug directly into our wiring harness" can be two different things. I know our local Nissan parts guys really well ('cause they're also a Dodge dealership and I've bought DSM/Stealth parts from them since 1992) so I guess I could borrow one from them to test.

Guest *Jedimaster*
"Made by Nissan" and "will plug directly into our wiring harness" can be two different things. I know our local Nissan parts guys really well ('cause they're also a Dodge dealership and I've bought DSM/Stealth parts from them since 1992) so I guess I could borrow one from them to test.

Dooooooo Eeeeeeet!

Just an FYI... I popped over to ICE-SS's shop on my way up to Boston and had him set me up. Mine is a little different than Lee's as I had Dave set it up to do roll-up on second lock instead of first. I'm going to have him integrate the moonroof as well for auto-rollup/down using the remote, but we ran out of time during this trip.

He did mention that he might be persuaded to do a run up to the Boston area if others are interested...

Archived