LegacyGT.com

REAR lower shock bolts 2, me 0

VXCL

failure again at 2nd attempt to get my rear shock bolts to break loose.

i tried

-3ft breaker bar

-craftsman 600 ft heavy duty impact

-craftsman 700 ft professional impact

-even torched the nut

neg, neg, neg, those fuckers won't budge

sucessful people what was your technique? is 2 people the answer? i have never encountered a bolt this stubborn. its recockulous!!

prob just going to take it to a shop and have them break the bolts loose then go home and do the install. i have bilstiens with provas that have been sitting im my garage for a month or 2 now

peace

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Soak 'em in PB blaster overnight and try once more in the morning before you take the car somewhere to have it done. Looks like the silverbacks were on duty the day your car went down the assembly line...:spin:
ignore him, he'll go away.

I had my car up on jack stands then put my Craftman boxend on the nut. Then got my floor jack under the end of the box end and started jacking. That got mine off no problem or sweat. If the weight of a 3300 lbs car can't get the nut off nothing will.:lol:
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

i used a 1/2 drive ratchet and positioned it around 8 or 4 o'clock (depending which side you are working on). place your hydraulic jack under the ratchet and raise jack to turn the ratchet. let me know if that works for you because that is what i did.

Speaking from experience........

Get a 3ft breaker bar one person pushing with there feet & the other pulling with both hands.

It works but make sure the one pulling is out of the way as it pops quick;)

Those 485lb Subaru silverbacks can turn a mean wrench cant they.....

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I had my car up on jack stands then put my Craftman boxend on the nut. Then got my floor jack under the end of the box end and started jacking. That got mine off no problem or sweat. If the weight of a 3300 lbs car can't get the nut off nothing will.:lol:

good idea! slow and massive force ftw!! if its not crazy weather tomorrow i will give it a try. thanks guys.

everyone said it would be a pita, but close to impossible is more realistic.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Those lower nuts/bolts are the reason I bought a 1000 lb/ft rated impact gun. I usually crank up the line pressure to 125-130 psi and hammer away at it after a good dousing with PB Blaster. So far so good. Before the big gun, it was an ordeal.

Just did mine today. No Problem with the rears at all. The fronts however.... I could not "for the life of me" get the top nut off of the strut. I ended up taking the assembly out of the car and drilling the nut out to get my swifts spring out. What a pain.

we took the handle off of my jack and put it around the 3' breaker bar to act as a "cheater bar" to give us more leverage...

It still took 2 people to break it loose (one pushing and one pulling) and that's the second time I've taken that bolt loose.

The last time I only put 125lb/ft of torque on it so I think something causes it to bind...

I use rust buster for really stuck bolts, just squirt some on and wait about 30min. Now is the time to buy some, it's a seasonal product found with the evaporative(swamp) coolers at home depot or whatever.

Or you can pay more and buy trumpet oil, it is the same thing, but the music stores think it has platinum in it.:lol:

Jim

so the jack technique with one person

how dod you lock a wrench on the bolt? im thinking only jack the car up a little so that if a wrench is on the nut it will get stuck when hitting the ground and keep it locked up so i can use the jack and box end wrench on the bolt.

plan? thanks

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

so the jack technique with one person

how dod you lock a wrench on the bolt? im thinking only jack the car up a little so that if a wrench is on the nut it will get stuck when hitting the ground and keep it locked up so i can use the jack and box end wrench on the bolt.

plan? thanks

I just let it the other wrench against a suspension part. But mine broke loose before it spun.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I just let it the other wrench against a suspension part. But mine broke loose before it spun.

ok i think i know what you mean. thanks for the the help. cant wait until i feel better so i can get on this.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

I have taken my suspension off about 4 times now and the jack method always worked. I also used the box end wrench with a mini sledge to break loose the driver side. I just did this 5 nights ago so it works

I have taken my suspension off about 4 times now and the jack method always worked. I also used the box end wrench with a mini sledge to break loose the driver side. I just did this 5 nights ago so it works

cool. i just bought a set of metric box wrenches. really hope im feeling good come sat. i want to put them on so bad and go to the nj meat.

also im thinking of putting anti seize on the bolt in hopes when i go back to stock it wont be as much of a challenge. you guys do that?

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

also im thinking of putting anti seize on the bolt in hopes when i go back to stock it wont be as much of a challenge. you guys do that?

I put the sleaze on everything, even my cornflakes. It makes the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time around much easier.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Archived