LegacyGT.com

Swapping the clutch on an '05 Legacy GT

RyanE

Nice job :)

Thanks! I've been wanting to get that POS dual mass flywheel out of there for a while. The car is much more responsive with the WRX flywheel, and the clutch now engages in the middle of the pedal, not at the very bottom. I suspect that my trashed throw out bearing was the reason for the crummy engagement.

The stock WRX clutch disk and pressure plate seem more than adequate for my stock power levels as well, so it's a pretty economic upgrade.

Also, the clutch no longer smells like farts.

-Ryan

Fantastic write-up man. You almost convinced me to procure the necessary tools to do the job right (and handle bad situations that come up).

It's also incredible information to confirm the 09 WRX flywheel/clutch fits our LGTs. I know they should, but having someone actually do it themselves is worth alot.

Very nice job and I'd love to hear your impressions after a few hundred miles/full clutch break-in.

Joe

Great job! Excellent post with plenty of details!

Although I'm pretty good with such work, after reading that, I think I'm going to leave this job to my local mechanic, as I simply don't want to waste all that time on the work! I'm sure I could do it, but it's just not worth the time and effort to me!

Fantastic write-up man. You almost convinced me to procure the necessary tools to do the job right (and handle bad situations that come up).

It's also incredible information to confirm the 09 WRX flywheel/clutch fits our LGTs. I know they should, but having someone actually do it themselves is worth alot.

Very nice job and I'd love to hear your impressions after a few hundred miles/full clutch break-in.

Joe

The friendly local Subaru parts counter guy said that this is a common swap due to the high price of a replacement dual mass flywheel. I'll keep everyone posted after I get the clutch broken in.

-Ryan

Damn nice! :eek::D

You know, if I'd seen this a few days earlier, I likely would've tried this, myself.

I just had my clutch (ACT SB5-HDMM with '06/'07 OEM WRX fly combo, from Fred Beans) put in by the dealer, yesterday.

I really like wrenching, myself, and this was a great walk-through! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Damn nice! :eek::D

You know, if I'd seen this a few days earlier, I likely would've tried this, myself.

I just had my clutch (ACT SB5-HDMM with '06/'07 OEM WRX fly combo, from Fred Beans) put in by the dealer, yesterday.

I really like wrenching, myself, and this was a great walk-through! :)

It all depends how much your time is worth :)

It took longer than expected, but the results were great!

-Ryan

The friendly local Subaru parts counter guy said that this is a common swap due to the high price of a replacement dual mass flywheel. I'll keep everyone posted after I get the clutch broken in.

-Ryan

It's become common to swap a flywheel from 06/07 WRX, and there has been people who have said the 06/07 clutch is just fine as well, but this is the first time I've seen an LGT owner who has done a personal swap of an 08/09 WRX flywheel/clutch and personally confirmed there were no hitches or bizarre things that popped up.

That type of knowledge is hard to come by when it comes to trans work. Lots of owners will replace a turbo, very few will replace a clutch. :)

Joe

It all depends how much your time is worth :)

^ Right now, that's my problem. My daughter is 3 and 1/2, and as with most toddlers, demands a lot of interaction and attention - and she's not yet at the stage where I can involve her *this* much in a project. She's done a quick brake job with me before, though, just earlier this summer. :)

It took longer than expected, but the results were great!

"Going Stage II" took me about a full day, but that was with a buddy, more relaxing and shooting-the-crap than working steadily. :lol: I know *exactly* what you mean by that, and that's why I enjoy self-wrenching, too. :wub:

Again, that was an awesome write-up. Thank you for contributing to our collective knowledge-base!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

That type of knowledge is hard to come by when it comes to trans work. Lots of owners will replace a turbo, very few will replace a clutch. :)

Joe

Hah, unbolting the downpipe from the turbo was the part of the job I was most worried about! I've pulled plenty of clutches, but no turbos :)

Fortunately, the bolts were clean and the worst part of the downpipe was the ****ing heat shield. I'm glad I didn't have to do anything to the uppipe, however.

-Ryan

^ Right now, that's my problem. My daughter is 3 and 1/2, and as with most toddlers, demands a lot of interaction and attention - and she's not yet at the stage where I can involve her *this* much in a project. She's done a quick brake job with me before, though, just earlier this summer. :)

"Going Stage II" took me about a full day, but that was with a buddy, more relaxing and shooting-the-crap than working steadily. :lol: I know *exactly* what you mean by that, and that's why I enjoy self-wrenching, too. :wub:

Again, that was an awesome write-up. Thank you for contributing to our collective knowledge-base!

Yea, there were lots of ways to get hurt on this job, so I don't think I'd recommend involving 3.5 year olds, lol.

The collective Internet Car Forums have provided a very large amount of information to me on everything from Jeep axel vacuum disconnects to blown out Olds combination switches. I'm glad to give back :)

-Ryan

• 4 weeks later...

Bump for answers as well.

LegGTLT and I both have toasted clutches and I'm in need of a great solution for stage 2 power levels.

It's either Spec clutch and flywheel, ACT clutch and WRX flywheel, or OEM WRX clutch and flywheel depending on prices.

What's the cost on the '08-'09 WRX Clutch/Flywheel combo?

Just under $800 for a HDMM + WRX FW - that's what I found for my recent purchase. Query the vendors frequently mentioned here, and you can get a little better deal that way...

Up here, the OEM pressure plate is 250.00 and the OEM clutch is 250.00.

But it's the OEM dual mass flywheel thats a rip off, coming in at 850.00:eek::eek:

Clearly the reason for many folks switching to the WRX single mass FW.

Yup. Stock '05-'06 GT Clutch is about $300.

Ok, so I wasn't missing anything...

The point behind the ACT setup (for me, at least) is that the stocker is too weak to hold stage-2 reliably... hence a stock replacement is pointless for me.

If I were stock, then yes, I could also get a $300 clutch on my 06... that DMFW will kill anyone, though.

07+ LGTs apparently lose the DMFW... which is good for those owners (bad for 05-06 owners since we get the expensive option, and lower utilization = higher prices. That's another good reason to go to the 06+ WRX FW (which is also the 07+ LGT FW) and fits on the 05/06 LGT.

Archived