LegacyGT.com

Digital boost fits neatly under trip computer

lossol

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow, really good idea, but i'm the type of person who looks at my boost gauge more than i do my speedometer, so i dont know if this will provide enough 'information' for me.

theres no space under there to perhaps make it numerical? or, perhaps white leds for vacuum transition to red for boost? (w/ smaller leds of course)

Okay good feedback - Thanks.

mwiener2 - what makes a really good turbo gauge? What kind of features do you like to see?

mattszeto - Thanks, enough info? you mean you really want to know digital read out in numerical as well huh? what if it did both? do any of the didital numerical readout ones hold the 'max boost reached' value - if not how do you look at the number so fast?

I have included a shot of the board layout look, so you guys can see the size. Very small, not alot of area to work with under there, I will look into the idea of providing a numerical readout option.

<a href="

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

SpawnGT, I havnt fixed a price yet, altough I pondering leting a few beta testers having it for less than cost. Proto board costs are looking to be 25-30 bucks just due to low qty board spin and the most expensive part is the pressure sensor. 1ms readtime, good acuracy. Anyway, more later...

16 leds / white or red

Cool idea!

If numerical doesn't fit, what about making every 4th or 5th LED the alternate color? e.g. RRRW or WWWR. That way it is visually easier to distinguish boost level if you can't read the numeric display as all you'd need to see are the last alternate color + 1-3 LEDs.

e.g. 20psi (set @ 1.5psi/LED): RRRWRRRWRRRWR (19.5psi) - so all you'd need to really visually ID is the last "WR". Does this make any sense at all?

Kyle "BlackHole"

Blackhole, Yeah it makes sense, although I dont want it to look like a christmas tree in there. BUT you might be on to somthing.

So do we like the bar graph with numeric display, or would some rather just see digits, personally I like the sweeping effect of leds.

Also, what if you had to cut a small rectangulat hole in the bottom of the trip computer lense cover for the alpha numerics to pop through, it would still look stock to the observer. Would it stop you from making the install?

I think this thing is going to look cool when I'm finished.

I apreciate your comments.

My take, the sweeping LED's is just a gimmick and not of much use for tuning or even basic monitoring. Again, that's just my opinion on them. You do make a good point about a peak hold feature with the numeric display. Both of my electronic boost controllers use that feature in one capacity or another. One flashes the peak boost for about three seconds once the display falls back into vacuum. The other actually has two readouts, one is live, the other is a peak.

Also, I would rather loose features or take a hit on the size of the display in an effort to keep from having to modify the OEM lens. I am not williny to cut a window in mine to allow a display to poke through. The one exception would be if the display were large and included some type of OEM style bezel. I am a whore for OEM fit and finish which does not always sit well when it comes to the bottom line on projects like these.

ignore him, he'll go away.

mattszeto - Thanks, enough info? you mean you really want to know digital read out in numerical as well huh? what if it did both? do any of the didital numerical readout ones hold the 'max boost reached' value - if not how do you look at the number so fast?

oh i just ment it as like, if i were to glance quickly at it, i dont want to be wasting time trying to count the LEDs, so perhaps a marker of some sort (different colored leds, or color change?) of course, numbered would be great, but it probably wouldnt fit under there. for max boost, i usually just glance at my gauge when i'm WOT between 4000-5000k :rolleyes:

one thing i also use my current boost gauge alot for is driving under vacuum for gas savings =D. i saw another led boost gauge that was cool in that the left part was vacuum and the right was boost, like this:

Vac | Boost

[<----|------------>]

but it was expensive and needed another expensive controller :(

just throwing out suggestions for ya, this seems like a great idea

matt

mattszeto, thanks for the feedback - I have learned a lot about what others desire to see in a boost gauge for a feature set. I'm going to try to pool most of it into a gauge that is easy to install/use and looks stock!

Heres how it looks in white:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjNcttkJPHo]YouTube - Subaru legacy gt boost gauge[/ame]

DSC02202.JPG.0740d4fd561f6480b7855ba7934240c0.JPG

I think that is pretty cool! But, Like others have said, you would kinda wonder how much boost you are actually making at a certain point in time.

Kinda wonder how it'd look on the 07+ 's.

Otherwise that is just awesome !

e.g. 20psi (set @ 1.5psi/LED): RRRWRRRWRRRWR (19.5psi) - so all you'd need to really visually ID is the last "WR". Does this make any sense at all?

I like it... I also like the vac/boost idea someone else mentioned. Putting it all together, how about something like:

BBBWGGGWGGGWYYYWYYYWRRRWRRR

B = blue = vacuum

G = green = low boost

Y = yellow = medium boost

R = red = higher boost

W = highlights, like the tick marks on a speedometer

Archived