LegacyGT.com

2.5i power and fuel economy.

For those that own the 2.5i with the 4eat does it have decent power i.e. for passsing and merging on the highway.Also what kind of gas mileage are you getting and can you use regular unleaded 87 octane.Thank's for the reply's.

TurboMike04

Current Ride:05 Mini Cooper S w/6-speed Steptronic Auto and lot's of other stuff.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still breaking mine in... (I should hit 1000 miles on my way home today. :) ) ...but I'm getting about 23 MPG (mostly highway) on 87 octane currently. I'm not using the cruise control and varying the RPM's as much as possible, so I'm expecting to see in increase in MPG once it's done breaking in and I'm driving more smoothly.

The power is decent. Definately adequate for highway passing and the like...

lol, power is definetly ok for passing, just not going above like 85 or so its kinda... a time consuming process, not that you need to go that fast. going from fargo to minneapolis and back takes me a tank of gas going 80 (about 240 miles each way)

i'm a wreckless city driver... so i tend to pull avg of 19mpg. but when i take it easy... i pull about 25mpg in the city and about 32mpg in the hwy.

but then again thats w/ my mods of:

-perrin lightweight pulley

-perrin panel filter

-aftermarket generic exhaust

though a weak performance modlist for the 2.5i engine.... i boosted my mpg from 22mpg-city / 28mpg-hwy --> at stock form

w/ mods --> avg 25mpg city / 32 hwy

hope this helps...

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

After 22,500 miles, I'm averaging about 26 mpg in daily driving through lots of stop and go in metro Atlanta. Open highway and light load, 33 mpg is no problem. But with the way I drive and local traffic, I've always averaged mid-20s since buying the car.

I drove my 2.5i wagon in auto and stick just as a comparison before I purchased (I knew I would be buying the 5 speed) and the auto definately felt a little slower. Nothing earth shaking though, my 5 speed is no rocket either :icon_bigg but it is fine for what I use it for. Plenty of get up and go for everyday use.

I average 28-30 mpg 20% city 80% highway

JDM GT Bilsteins (F-Tanabe R-Pinks)

JDM RSB - Modded Kartboy SS - Subaru Momo Knob

Subastyle Grille

I think, the results are consistent with a little variation on miles driven on hi-way versus city.

23 K miles, 70% hi-way and I average 27 - 28 MPG, per the car's computer which many argue is favorable by about 0.5 MPG.

Using sport mode rather than the normal AT help accelerate a bit but either way it's not really a concern.

My 2.5i w/Auto is getting much better mpg than my old VW Passat 1.8T w/Auto. This is with AWD and one less gear... not bad and I am happy with that. I have noticed that the HWY mileage is much higher than the city and my overall mpg goes WAY up after driving on the highway even for a short time. I am averaging about 21-22 mpg (mostly city, 87 octane) over 18-19 mpg (premium fuel) in my VW in the same driving conditions. Plus I no longer have to worry about using expensive sythetic oil to keep the engine from sludging up.

Power is adequate and comes on smoother than in the VW (slight turbo lag). However, my VW had more power than the Sube after I chipped it, but at a mileage penalty and with premium fuel.

For a daily the driver the 2.5i w/4eat is more than adequate. I would agree with the observation that the 4eat is a dinosaur, slow to shift and robs lots of power, but it gets the job done.

Guest subiecity
The 5'th gear in an auto should give better Hi-way mileage.

..i think he was saying...if three was a 5th gear in auto it would get better gas on the hiway........i wish there was a 5th gear........my freind told me we can swap out my tranny with a STI 6 speed no problem i wonder how that would be and how extensive and hard that would be

..i think he was saying...if three was a 5th gear in auto it would get better gas on the hiway........i wish there was a 5th gear........my freind told me we can swap out my tranny with a STI 6 speed no problem i wonder how that would be and how extensive and hard that would be

agree on subiecity

I have an 05 limited wagon 5spd, and with 91 octane and a KN panel filter upgrade i get 25-28 around town and an impressive 37-38 highway w/o AC, of course that is going 65-70mph. my friend's honda may get 42 highway but i have awd and about 40 more ponies.

05 2.5i 4eat - just hit 50,000 miles. I drive 60 miles to work each way on the highway, if I cruise at 70mph I can get close to 35mpg - If I slow down a bit it's even higher. Passing acceleration is alright - but slower than my wife's taurus (230 hp) - I usually shift into sport mode so it downshifts and it's fine. Overall it's a great car - although keep in mind the 4eat has a different awd system than some of the other legacys.

Here's a related question.

Is restricting the base (2.5i) auto transmissions to 4 speeds done strictly for cost or, as a way to differentiate the performance oriented GT models? I gotta believe more the latter since it would not seem a huge extra cost but then again, a couple of bucks here and eventually the $ do add up.

Not to go back and cover the weekend's discussion, a 5 speed auto would give better mileage but agreed, actual gear ratios and the amount of hi-way driving (and use of the 5'th gear / overdrive) would give (uh) me better gas mileage.

05 2.5i 4eat - just hit 50,000 miles. I drive 60 miles to work each way on the highway, if I cruise at 70mph I can get close to 35mpg - If I slow down a bit it's even higher. Passing acceleration is alright - but slower than my wife's taurus (230 hp) - I usually shift into sport mode so it downshifts and it's fine. Overall it's a great car - although keep in mind the 4eat has a different awd system than some of the other legacys.

Have a question about "Sport Mode" When I shift into Sport Mode, do I have to up/downshift (+/-) or can I just leave it there and the ECU will shift accordingly?

or I have to upshift/downshift?

Have a question about "Sport Mode" When I shift into Sport Mode, do I have to up/downshift (+/-) or can I just leave it there and the ECU will shift accordingly?

There's 3 modes, when u buy ur car, the stealership should have told u already.

1. Leave in D

2. Leave in SportShift, dont touch the stick

3. Touch stick up and down for your own control, to cancel, shift back to D.

sportshift does not equal control yourself.

2005 2.5i with about 12,000 miles. No mod at all. With 87 octane, I am getting 25.8 local. Once in a while, I will drive a little bit more aggressive. Over all, I like the car.

This is what we are getting on our 2.5i wagon with 12K miles. If we do a lot of highway driving it goes up past 30mpg :)

Just leave it there and the computer will switch to a more aggressive map.

Archived