LegacyGT.com

2.5i power and fuel economy.

There's 3 modes, when u buy ur car, the stealership should have told u already.

1. Leave in D

2. Leave in SportShift, dont touch the stick

3. Touch stick up and down for your own control, to cancel, shift back to D.

sportshift does not equal control yourself.

My sales didn't tell me about that. Because he has another customer waiting, so another person was going over the paperwork while the car was being 'prepared'

But now I know there is option "2" :icon_mrgr Going to try that tomorrow

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I usually shift into sport mode so it downshifts and it's fine. Overall it's a great car - although keep in mind the 4eat has a different awd system than some of the other legacys.

I have been driving in the manumatic mode for the past couple of weeks or so. Coming from a previous manual trans car I just dont seem to be happy with the way the 4EAT shifts:spin:. I use the Normal trans setting when I just want to relax or when talking on my cell. :munch:

I usually downshift using the manumatic mode (option#3) when merging onto the interstate (3rd gear upto 70-80 mph and then shift into final gear)

I have read that Legacies with 4EAT have a 90-10 front-rear bias in power distribution. The MTs have a 50-50 split.

I also saw on the Subaru web-site that a 4EAT based system can transmit all the power to the rear wheels if required. But a 5MT based system never transfers 100% power to the rear wheels. Not sure why this is the case. Is it an advantage or a disadvantage?

Never quite liked the Sport mode (Option#2). I use the Normal mode (#1) or the manumatic mode (#3)

I have been driving in the manumatic mode for the past couple of weeks or so. Coming from a previous manual trans car I just dont seem to be happy with the way the 4EAT shifts:spin:. I use the Normal trans setting when I just want to relax or when talking on my cell. :munch:

I usually downshift using the manumatic mode (option#3) when merging onto the interstate (3rd gear upto 70-80 mph and then shift into final gear)

I have read that Legacies with 4EAT have a 90-10 front-rear bias in power distribution. The MTs have a 50-50 split.

I also saw on the Subaru web-site that a 4EAT based system can transmit all the power to the rear wheels if required. But a 5MT based system never transfers 100% power to the rear wheels. Not sure why this is the case. Is it an advantage or a disadvantage?

Never quite liked the Sport mode (Option#2). I use the Normal mode (#1) or the manumatic mode (#3)

I believe you are correct. the 4EAT is primarily a FWD car. but have seen so many posts it's not clear. Neither is Subaru's information which I kinds thing they try to hide.

I also have been led believe the front is an open differential but not sure what the read is.

Anyone know for sure?

in manual mode it won't upshift. it will just bounce off the rev limiter

I just tried that 20 minutes ago. mine won't upshift, it just bounce off. I have a 2005 2.5i, so I guess 2006 2.5i will upshift once you hit the reve limiter.

Guest subiecity
it will upshift...but it has to say "sport mode" oon your dash under your odometer if it doesnt say sport mode...then ur in tiptronic mode and u have to shift put it in drive then move the stick over to the tiptronic mode but dont move it up or down and u will get a green light that says "sport" and then u can redline it

i dont know. one time it upshift by itself, coz i dont know i accidentally kick it into the Option3 mode.

And also it will downshift for me as well.

Also, sometimes i try to pass highway, and i shift a gear down in Option3, and it turns out the car shift twice for me, made my car bump up all the way to redline.

From that point on i dont use the maual mode often anymore.

Guest subiecity
yea happens to me 2.....but that mean u are bumping the lever down too many times....if u wanna downshift just hit it once and wait...itll be a half a second delay and then downshift......trus me i learned the hard way 2......if u bump it down 2 times....natrually its gonna bump itself down 2 gears....so just becarfull.......use sport mode and manual mode...get used to it and u will have such a blast passing people

Or not.

Turbos and H6's have the VTD drive system.

All-Wheel Drive: Models equipped with 5-speed automatic transmission utilize an electronically controlled variable transfer clutch in conjunction with a planetary-type center differential and a viscous-type limited-slip rear differential. Torque distribution is normally configured at a performance-oriented rear-wheel-biased 45/55 split front-to-rear.

Im not sure of the point youre trying to make.

Older Legacies with 4EAT do have a 60/40 split. There's nothing to dispute.

the 2.5i legacies don't seem to have any front or rear lsd. from the other post only the 2.5i outback has lsd in the rear only

Yup thats right. No front and rear LSDs for our NA Legacies :icon_mad:

Only open differentials.

So be careful what you take on in our NA legacies. and remember "Discretion is the better part of valor" :icon_mrgr

I just noticed that the 2005 2.5i had 16 in wheels. Is that the reason they get slightly better gas mileage than the 06 2.5is?

I have seen some people post that they get more than 30 mpg in 80-20 hwy-city driving. Are these the people with 05s? I never get more than 28 mpg in 80-20 driving even if I drive like a grandma.

Guest subiecity
my 2006 2.5i came with stock 17's i highly doubt it has to do with the wheel size well in this case anyway..now i have 18;s n i get the same amont of gas milage

I have seen some people post that they get more than 30 mpg in 80-20 hwy-city driving. Are these the people with 05s? I never get more than 28 mpg in 80-20 driving even if I drive like a grandma.

You also have a 4EAT. 28.5 was the best I got when I had a 4EAT Legacy. But, that was also the 1st year of the EJ25 engine.

The best I ever got on a long trip (i.e. 99% freeway) was 32mpg, but usually I get 30mpg on long trips. In-town, I've gotten as low as 18mpg driving like a maniac but usually about 20-22mpg.

In mixed driving, I've never gotten better than 25mpg. I don't know how people are driving to get those high numbers.

What's crazy to me is that people report 30mpg highway in the Legacy GT. The sticker says 25mpg highway (and the window sticker is optimistic), so I'm at a loss. Methinks these are "fish stories"...

Archived