LegacyGT.com

2.5i power and fuel economy.

i dont drive the hell out of my car lol. i am coming to this after selling my mitsu eclipse gt so i may get excited at times but even after babying it for the past gas tank 19.2 is the best i get. its still under warranty so i am going to bring her to the shop just to make sure. day after buying i brought it behind my house to run the 1/4 mile thats setup and after that i got a knocking sound and i watched the tank drop ever since.

we shall see what the shop will say once they hook it up to the machine

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just calculated the mileage for you "imperial"ists in the US.

My display reads 8.2L/100kms (12 km/L)

That's 2.16 Gallons/62.5 kms (28 miles/gln). not so bad.

My shtyle: 40% aggressive. 60% normal.

i've got a subaru 2.5i wagon loaner car with 1,400 on the odo and the 4eatme transmission.

city driving (25-40) is 18mpg at best so far, and thats with a very lite touch.

my h-6 with the 5eatme tranny gets around 16mpg

I just calculated the mileage for you "imperial"ists in the US.

My display reads 8.2L/100kms (12 km/L)

That's 2.16 Gallons/62.5 kms (28 miles/gln). not so bad.

My shtyle: 40% aggressive. 60% normal.

About what I get with a 2.5i. We got rid of that imperial gallon stuff back in 1776. An imperial gallon is about 1.2 US Gallons.

Weird thing I discovered.

Recently, I figured out I can use regular on my 2.5i.(dumb me)

After switching to regular gas, I happened to find out I get more miles/gal.

Regular------full tank=450 miles

Premium-----full tank=400 miles

?????

?????

maybe you tend to rev it more :D

?????

The EJ25 only required 91 octane for the 1996 model year. I only ever used 89, if you used 87 the car would knock. However, when I got my '99 out of force of habit I still used 89 which really didn't help me any. 87 FTW.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got back from a road trip from Iowa City, IA to Pittsburgh, PA with stops in Columbus, OH and Chicago, IL. (very little city driving)

2.5i Wagon with the 4eat

2 passengers + a weeks worth of luggage and stuff ("stuff" being lots of fireworks picked up at Phantom Fireworks in Indiana on the way back ;) )

I was driving around 70-75+mph for most of the time on the highway.

A/C on almost all of time.

1485 miles

31 mpg

Probably could have gotten a little better if my wife didn't drive for a while. She is a highway braker, a habbit I am trying to break her of. She is also a bit of a lead foot, and doesn't know how to use the cruise control.

PS- gas in Pittsburgh was only $3.10 gal or less for 87 octane, it was $3.70+ gal in the Chicago area. The price goes up fast as you head west.

This was the longest road trip so far in this car and I have to say it is more comfortable on long trips than my old VW Passat 1.8T was, and gets much better fuel economy. With the Passat I would probably have gotten well under 28mpg on premium fuel. The Passat was a little quieter when cruising but the ride was horrible (bouncy and floaty). However, I do wish the 4eat had an extra cog and a taller final gear, but still not bad.

I'm consitently getting over 31-34 mpg on the freeway with a/c on and moonroof cracked. I'm pleased with the '07 acceleration characteristics over 60 mph. It feels greatly improved over all previous years.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone might want to check out MPG ratings on the governments EPA site so that you can track your MPG. It only takes a few minutes to register and should add valuable data so they can see if their estimates are realistic. Right now their isn't enough data to show real world numbers for the 2.5i so if more people add their MPG figures it should show up in their database.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

BTW: I am getting 24.3 MPG in 60cty/40hwy driving.... right in line with the NEW EPA estimates. And that is with a heavy footed inefficient driver doing most of the driving (my wife not me.)

I have averaged around 24.5mpg during each of my 1st 10,000 miles (using trip odometer B), but have gotten a high of 32.5 on a trip to the jersey shore where you have to watch your speed.

I have found the cars computer to be around 1.5mpg optomistic.....

• 1 month later...
That is incorrect. The bias is (or was) 60/40, however it might now be the same the current LGT with 5EAT, which is 45/55.

My old 95 LSi wagon used the 4EAT with the EJ22 engine. In first and second gear it was 60/40 or would mimic a 50/50 split of the MT. In third and fourth gear it was 90/10; primarily FWD which I assume is the similar system used today. Hence the large gap between city and hwy miles on models equipped with the 4EAT.

Archived