LegacyGT.com

2.5i power and fuel economy.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's crazy to me is that people report 30mpg highway in the Legacy GT. The sticker says 25mpg highway (and the window sticker is optimistic), so I'm at a loss. Methinks these are "fish stories"...

Its says 27 now. Well for the manual version.

FOr the 6 speed manuals it says 26. Like, if you drive the Spec B. you will be accelerating alot more frequently!

I was getting 29mpg this summer in an 06 2.5i. It's better than my 00 legacy L for some reason and yet it's faster as well? Now that winter has set in I am getting 25-26mpg with the snow tires, thule box, and cold temps. This is my first winter in 06 wagon and I really loved my 00 Legacy L but this car is an improvement.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/aboone1970/car1.jpg

Ok, Im upset. Like I said, I normally average 32 mpg on the highway. This time, I only got 27, the car's EPA rating. Not good enough.

I didnt have much weight in the car and I wasnt driving faster than I normally do. However, there were a few differences so let me know what you guys think.

1. This was my first official calculation since I installed my short ram

2. I filled up with 89 octane instead of the usual 87

3. I jumped up over 80mph while passing. Previously going over 80 has knocked my mileage down, but I was goin more like 85-87, not the 82, 83 I was doin. Anyone else observe similar situations?

Guest subiecity

ha i have the aluminum cold air intake w/ stock airbox and KNN filter, lightweight crankshaft pulley, perrin mufflers, lighter rims and tires 18 x 7.5 w/low pros....much tighter suspension, HnR springs, dropped it an inch, front and rear strut tower bars. front bumper spoiler, rear oem spoiler and front grille, oh plus tints...

I GET 20-24 avg MPG ..ive seen 18mpg here and there...............:iam: im thinking its the tints :lol: :lol:

a good 75% of the time i drive normal (all speed limits here are over 55, skool zone is 45, and 65 on hiways)....and once in a wile ill open it up and go balls out..apparently i get really shitty milage, i dont mind but compared to what u guys get damn!

Ok, Im upset. Like I said, I normally average 32 mpg on the highway. This time, I only got 27, the car's EPA rating. Not good enough.

I didnt have much weight in the car and I wasnt driving faster than I normally do. However, there were a few differences so let me know what you guys think.

1. This was my first official calculation since I installed my short ram

2. I filled up with 89 octane instead of the usual 87

3. I jumped up over 80mph while passing. Previously going over 80 has knocked my mileage down, but I was goin more like 85-87, not the 82, 83 I was doin. Anyone else observe similar situations?

It's my understanding by reading over there on Nasioc that many Subaru people are of the opinion that a CAI/Ram does nothing good without a tune. This may be a problem if the MAF can't deal with the increased airflow. You may be running rich/lean depending on the stock map and the MAF's range.

Using 89 octane in a car not designed for it will definitely reduce fuel economy. I believe it would be possible to tune the car for 89...

My guesses for your reduced fuel economy are: 89 octane and intake without a tune.

It's my understanding by reading over there on Nasioc that many Subaru people are of the opinion that a CAI/Ram does nothing good without a tune. This may be a problem if the MAF can't deal with the increased airflow. You may be running rich/lean depending on the stock map and the MAF's range.

CAI doesn't play well with a turbo charged engine. It shouldn't be a big issue with a 2.5i engine.

CAI doesn't play well with a turbo charged engine. It shouldn't be a big issue with a 2.5i engine.

True.

My '96 LGT had to have 89 octane, so I figured it wouldnt hurt in the '99. Perhaps in this case, it wasnt favorable since I would assume it has been running 87 its whole life. I had a friend who ran 89 in his Buick and achieved better hwy mileage with it. The gains outweighed the extra cost of fuel. However, there are a couple of porsched that reject anything higher than 87 octane so I could believe that my Legacy might feel the same way about it.

• 1 month later...

A little late but im only pulling about 19mpg... this is city with few high revs but quite a bit of stop and go. 25k miles on it and im running full auto..

im about to fill up now and will use the sporty and see how that goes.

i was at a steady 18 through city and then went on highway and boosted her up to 20.4... (about 3 hour drive cruising 75 the whole way with very minimum break)

Ill pitch in, even though its my fiancee's car.:lol:

Ive driven it enough to know, I usually get around 26-27 in the city, and, most recently got 35 on the highway. I usually use the manumatic since my WRX is a stick, and I like to do the shifting. Her mileage isnt much different. Its an 06 SE.

I don't remember off hand ( I want to say 27-28), but it wasn't too bad because it is a fairly quick climb. I was able to put the cruise on 60 and climb without any issues... very very surprising considering the 4 cylinder engine.

• 2 weeks later...

does anybody have any idea why im only pulling in 18.2 on my cars reading? The highest i got was 20.7 but somehow this dropped when my car was at a sit still while i was warming it up a bit? (in park)

When i bought it from the dealer the display was reading 27 and it shot straight down to 18 form their and this is where i stay.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. lol i want to see the 24 - 28 range like when i bought it

does anybody have any idea why im only pulling in 18.2 on my cars reading? The highest i got was 20.7 but somehow this dropped when my car was at a sit still while i was warming it up a bit? (in park)

When i bought it from the dealer the display was reading 27 and it shot straight down to 18 form their and this is where i stay.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. lol i want to see the 24 - 28 range like when i bought it

Big difference between (primarily) city and (primarily) hiway driving. What's your style?

2005 2.5i with a K&N drop-in air filter with 39K miles...first 10K, 26.1, second 10K 27.1, third 10K, 25.5, and so far 9K into this I'm at 27.3, so it varies considerably with driving conditions, etc...
If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid looking in a mirror, because I bet that will really throw you into a panic.

Never seen more than 18.5 on mine. I use only 87, a lot of city driving, and I drive it like I stole it. I am about ot hit 1500 miles on the odo.

I had a 07 forester for a weekend as a loaner, and it seem like it was a hell of a lot better when it came to gas comsumption.

X

---

Archived