LegacyGT.com

STi Strut Brace

Opie

Kevin... all due respect...everyone is entitled to their opinion. But explain to me why when I first installed my front strut bar in my 2.5RS and forgot to tighten the bolts on one side of the bar where the bar meets the mounts and then there were 1/4" paint scape marks in either direction around the mount hole after an auto-x run? The reason...the strut towers were moving that much, plain and simple. Is the new Legacy stiffer? Sure it is, and I'll agree that the strut towers are closer too, and better connected to the firewall. I'll also agree that a strut tower bar isn't going to change a car from an OK handler to an all out handling machine, or even address understeer or oversteer...but it will at minimum provide better turn-in feedback and feel. And more feedback always benefits the driver, right? I'll admit I probably won't be persueing a National SoloII Title in the Legacy as I did with the RS and for that reason the bar is pretty much eye candy, but if buying it helps SOA decide to bring more STi parts to our shores I'm 100% for it. And while we are on the topic, aren't the majority of the mods anyone does really eye-candy anyway? Everyone knows the results someone gets out of a particular car are 95% driver and only 5% equipment. ;)

[quote name='Opie']Kevin... all due respect...everyone is entitled to their opinion. But explain to me why when I first installed my front strut bar in my 2.5RS and forgot to tighten the bolts on one side of the bar where the bar meets the mounts and then there were 1/4" paint scape marks in either direction around the mount hole after an auto-x run? The reason...the strut towers were moving that much, plain and simple. Is the new Legacy stiffer? Sure it is, and I'll agree that the strut towers are closer too, and better connected to the firewall. I'll also agree that a strut tower bar isn't going to change a car from an OK handler to an all out handling machine, or even address understeer or oversteer...but it will at minimum provide better turn-in feedback and feel. And more feedback always benefits the driver, right? I'll admit I probably won't be persueing a National SoloII Title in the Legacy as I did with the RS and for that reason the bar is pretty much eye candy, but if buying it helps SOA decide to bring more STi parts to our shores I'm 100% for it. And while we are on the topic, aren't the majority of the mods anyone does really eye-candy anyway? Everyone knows the results someone gets out of a particular car are 95% driver and only 5% equipment. ;)[/quote] I can't argue with that one, Opie, particularly as an aggressive auto-x run can put as much stress on a car's frame (almost) as a track day. And yes, the RS was a noodle. I bet the flexing was also longitudinal torsional stuff, however. So we agree to agree. :lol: Supporting the parts will indeed lead to more...I just can't bring myself to put a strut bar on. I don't mind if anyone puts one on, as I said above, as long as we understand that they are useless for everyday driving. The magical things ascribed to strut tower bars just can't be happening. But if people want them to happen, then they are happening. Placebos have demonstrable value in the world of medicine, in "curing" a patient. I do, however, wonder if someone will be offering a lower brace, similar to the Cusco that I had on my WRX wagon. Now, that made a significant difference, and the physics are easy to understand. You get a lot more movement out of the lower half of the suspension, than you ever will at the top half. And you sure are right about the driver vs. car equation. It's why I say upgrade the driver first, then decide what, if any, mods you need. Kevin

I had strut tower braces on my WRX, and I auto-x'd it pretty hard (part of the reason I traded it in for the LGT). I felt they provided the least improvement on handling then any of the other suspension mods I did (which was just about everything, costs lots and lots of money). But I did feel a small difference in cornering. As some have said turn in was slightly better, and maybe it eliminated some roll, but I can't really say if that was in my head or not. anyways I have a friend at the parts department at a suby dealer and he owes me a favor, I think I will ask him what delear cost is on one of these and might pick it up.

Subaru can't do it right - who cares about STI. It has to be TYPE-R (in red) to make 50 more HP. ok, ok... I'll try not to talk to ricers anymore, but they actually liked the car :)

[quote name='Opie']But explain to me why when I first installed my front strut bar in my 2.5RS and forgot to tighten the bolts on one side of the bar where the bar meets the mounts and then there were 1/4" paint scape marks in either direction around the mount hole after an auto-x run? The reason...the strut towers were moving that much, plain and simple. [/quote] Because the struts themselves were moving. The bolts are there to keep them from falling out if you get some air and to locate them. If the strut towers themselves were moving 1/4" you owuld notice becasue the hood would buckle and then the car would literally start falling apart. You probably had some excellent camber chamges going on as well. I saw that car and it looked good to me :D Personally I wouldn't buy a strut tower brace unless it was made out of titanium :lol:

Guest *Jedimaster*
My WRX got little from a front strut brace. They're pretty tight little cars from the factory- I'd imagine the Legacy platform is even better. What made a difference was the rear strutbar- I'd like something like that for mine. The difference was noticeable. BTW, you always get a certain amount of chassis flex during cornering and it is present at the tops of the struts as well. The best solution is a solid bar, not one that's flexible. I had a solid one on my GTP and it made quite a difference.

• 5 weeks later...
[quote name='Th3Franz']I hear that front strut braces make a slight difference, but I hear that the rear ones are just for looks, for the most part.[/quote] They do tend to help the wagons more because they don't have the structural cross-bracing behind the seats that the sedans do. But, unless you're really setting the car up for some serious competition, in which case you probably wouldn't be using a wagon, putting strut bars on the newest cars gives you marginal handling improvement. On the 1st and 2nd gens, definite improvement, not so much with the 3rd and now 4th gen. BTW - I still think wagons rule! SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 1 year later...
I installed it and love how the initial turn in is now. I agree with that it might not give much on a stock car BUT I have Tein CS coilovers, rear JDM sway bar, Cusco rear under brace, and the lower front brace got lost in the mail. So my car is pretty stiff on the corners and I've been racing subies for a while to know that initial turn in feels nicer. I just don't like how it kinda hits the underpart of the plastic/rubber seal on top of the firewall

I didnt notice any difference with the bar.. but since I run my car so hard, I dont want my shock towers to start warping, so I bought this bar to keep the alignment fairly close and relative to each other over the future years of hard driving.. it's a very good fitment.. only complain I have is that the bar is in the way of pouring brake fluid :eek:
Keefe

Subietonic...Wagons defintely RULE !!!!!!!!!!! I did notice a deifference when I installed my strut bar a few months ago... The steering felt more responsive and tighter.. I like it. I feel the difference it makes and thats what counts in the end.. Im Happy

Got Torque ?

Archived