LegacyGT.com

Bought my 06 Legacy 2.5GT almost two years ago. Love the car to death. Put a KN air filter, use Mobil 1 and just put a magna flow cat back exhaust on her. Gas mileage on the highway when I first bought it was 28.5. I'm now down to 27.9, I thought all of these things would help put me over 30mpg highway? Also just got the serpentine belt replaced due to some squealing she was doing at start up and intermittently. Does anyone think that would have something to do with it or any other ideas/suggestions? How often should I be doing a tune up? Every 10K?

Don't tell me your using Mobil 1 5w-30.

That's the worst oil for these engines.

Plugs get replaced every 60,000 miles. Fixed it ! don't know why I put 30,000. I know better then that.

That's all the tune up is.

Make sure the K&N is clean and lightly oiled.

Have you cleaned the MAF sensor ?

That mpg is nothing to complain about.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

What's a good oil then? Heard everything else breaks down to quickly. I'm cleaning out the filter tomorrow, I'll clean that MAF sensor as well. The 28.5 is highway, city I get about 23 right now. Anything else I could do to get it higher? I'm working on the down pipe right now and saving up for the Cobb tune for stage 2.

Go stage 2 and get a tune(will get another 1-2+mpg)

As for oil, Rotella t6 in the blue jug

27-28 is impressive already if its all stock, I was getting only 24-25 when it was stock and 27-28 after getting a tune

It stayed at 28.5 after the catback and KN air filter. Only just recently dropped after I got the serpentine belts installed. I'm wondering if maybe they tightened the pulleys too much? I thought I'd notice it in the RPM's but I haven't seen that much of a difference.

Anyone know of someone who will do a stage 2 tune for me(at a fair price)? I want to get the DP but am not big on buying the tuner as I don't think I'll get that deep into the tuning side, albeit sounds like I really should.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't tell me your using Mobil 1 5w-30.

That's the worst oil for these engines.

Plugs get replaced every 30,000 miles.

That's all the tune up is.

Make sure the K&N is clean and lightly oiled.

Have you cleaned the MAF sensor ?

That mpg is nothing to complain about.

Sorry max but have to disagree with you here.

On turbo and H6 subarus the plug interval is every 60k miles.

As for "tune-up" we suggest at 30k miles to do:

Engine Oil

Trans/Diffy Fluid

Brake Flush

Coolant Flush (on cars up to 09, 09+ it's 100K)

For 60k intervals it is the same as 30k but you add in changing the plugs.

-mike

Bought my 06 Legacy 2.5GT almost two years ago. Love the car to death. Put a KN air filter, use Mobil 1 and just put a magna flow cat back exhaust on her. Gas mileage on the highway when I first bought it was 28.5. I'm now down to 27.9, I thought all of these things would help put me over 30mpg highway? Also just got the serpentine belt replaced due to some squealing she was doing at start up and intermittently. Does anyone think that would have something to do with it or any other ideas/suggestions? How often should I be doing a tune up? Every 10K?

Don't use Mobil 1 5w30. We've seen this oil really not work well in the Subaru engines over the past 10+ years. Our clients regularly use Amsoil Signature 5w30 for 7-10k oil change intervals with great blackstone lab results. Our standard oil change is using Motul 5w30 X-Clean C3 8100 and a 5-7k change interval yields excellent Blackstone analysis. Let us know and we can drop ship Motul directly to you.

-mike

Thanks for the information guys. I went with Rotella T6 and I'll think about trying the redline for the next oil change. What kind of oil should I use for the 5MT on 06 2.5GT and how about the diff fluid? People seem to be split with Redline and Motul and I've even read Valvoline and Subaru S. Someone said that Redline has additives that could break down your bushings :confused:

Thanks for the information guys. I went with Rotella T6 and I'll think about trying the redline for the next oil change. What kind of oil should I use for the 5MT on 06 2.5GT and how about the diff fluid? People seem to be split with Redline and Motul and I've even read Valvoline and Subaru S. Someone said that Redline has additives that could break down your bushings :confused:

I think they meant to say it can break down your synchros.

We like in this order:

Motul Gear 300

Amsoil Severe Gear

Subaru ExtraS

The Motul is fully synthetic and has all the protections of that with the silky smoothness of the Subaru ExtraS

Amsoil is fully synthetic but not quite as smooth

Subaru ExtraS is silky smooth but not synthetic so it tends to break down faster.

;s-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

We have seen them. Many have tried them, but

Is there any truth to their use? Do they really help

Maximize MPG or is this just another scam to take

Hard earned money from the pockets of millions?

What's is the difference besides name and $$ between

A carburetor and fuel injector cleaner vs a fuel system cleaner?

PRESTONE

GUMOUT

LUCAS

STP

funny how the mpg varies with everyone.

228k, no tune, regular oil changes every 3-4k miles, replaced with high mileage oil most of the time. I get 23-24mpg. just took trip up to Pa and back and i averaged 27.8mpg

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I think my problem is that when I even get on the highway I'm routinely doing 75-80mph, not 65mph which would be the best MPG. When I see zero traffic I'm at 22mpg, on a day to day with stop and go when I get to the highway and get off to work it can be as low as 18mpg on the worse days, and then jump up to 22.. it's been so long since I've taken the car for a long trip only so I haven't seen anything north of 25mpg in years and years!

I just changed my plugs at 80K yet again.. frankly I did it at 45Kish and the plugs look pretty good. The first day I did 22mpg and I thought I hit the magic bullet.. the next few days was horrible traffic.. and I'm down to 20mpg

Yeah in NJ, if you are doing <75 you best be in the right lane or shoulder with your 4-ways on! :)

-Mike Paisan

AZP's First Private Track Event, June 19 at NJMP Thunderbolt $315 including Classroom and Mentor!

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

I think my problem is that when I even get on the highway I'm routinely doing 75-80mph, not 65mph which would be the best MPG. When I see zero traffic I'm at 22mpg, on a day to day with stop and go when I get to the highway and get off to work it can be as low as 18mpg on the worse days, and then jump up to 22.. it's been so long since I've taken the car for a long trip only so I haven't seen anything north of 25mpg in years and years!

I just changed my plugs at 80K yet again.. frankly I did it at 45Kish and the plugs look pretty good. The first day I did 22mpg and I thought I hit the magic bullet.. the next few days was horrible traffic.. and I'm down to 20mpg

Who's tune is on your engine ?

My Spec B on Cobb AP stage 1 would get 25-26 easy on the highway doing 75mph. I'm on a custom tune now and get 23-24mpg.

My wagon at 280whp, will get 24-25 mpg on the highway. Same tuner. If I wanted I'm sure he could re-map my tune in the Spec and get better mpg, but I'm to lazy.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I have a stage 2 OTS etune from infamous from maybe.. 3-4 years back. Again, since my trip duration isn't long enough I have maybe never gone that high in mpg. When I hit the highway for .. 20 miles it starts to jump up, the other 5-6 I get stuck in city. The reverse when I go home, but usually in heavy traffic all the way home so the mpg meter never creeps higher than 22.

Wow, you guys get crazy milage. With any of my subies with turbos the best I could get in mixed driving was 20-21mpg. With my LGT at 65mph I could get 23 and that's with cruise control on the interstate. With my STi at 65mph I could get 24max. The final gearing on these cars is just awful IMO.

-Mike Paisan

AZP's First Private Track Event, June 19 at NJMP Thunderbolt $315 including Classroom and Mentor!

I have a stage 2 OTS etune from infamous from maybe.. 3-4 years back. Again, since my trip duration isn't long enough I have maybe never gone that high in mpg. When I hit the highway for .. 20 miles it starts to jump up, the other 5-6 I get stuck in city. The reverse when I go home, but usually in heavy traffic all the way home so the mpg meter never creeps higher than 22.

Yes, the longer the drive the better the mpg seems to be.

Hey, new OBXT owner here, I just wanted to chime in on this issue. I live in Vermont and had to go down to southern NH to pick up my car (5MT). On the way back I took interstate 89 from where it begins in New Hampshire to two exits before it ends at the Canadian border. The car had 5k on some crappy Valvoline Synth and it was about half a quart over full. That trip I did 26.7 MPG on the way home I drove 65 pretty much the whole way back and I89 isn't known for nice flat stretches of road.

I decided to change the oil to Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 after sorting through a few UOA's, since then I did about 30 miles on the state highways (At approximately 55mph) With a little bit of around the town driving 5 miles then another 20-25 on the interstate. After about 60 or so miles the dash is reading low 28 mpg range so I don't know if it was the oil change or what that caused the boost in MPG's but Vermont is definitely not known for being a flat state.

Now I will say that I achieved this by babying the crap out of the car. It isn't my DD and I was using it to just run a few errands. So if my wallowy outback can manage 28 you guys in the LGT's should be able to squeak a few better than myself:icon_tong.

Archived