LegacyGT.com

Visiting Washington DC/Virginia/Penn in July

boxkita

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is starting to sound like a trip to hell...extreme heat and humidity, crazy traffic, and now, speed cameras?

If you tell me radar detectors are illegal, it'll be complete. :)

We're going to map out the itinerary tonight and figure out where we'll be roughly. Need to sort out passes and calls to Congress ppl.

ugh...this trip is really going to make my wife happy. :)

let's go for the trifecta then...when I get a speeding ticket (even in compact car, I drive warp speed), what's the policy? Can you pay an energy conservation fine and drive away? They book you on the spot? Can I pay a lawyer to "handle" it for me? How much over is the typical allowance for speeding?

Boston was about 15 over everwhere. Williamsburg (last year) was about 2 miles over.

My driving plan had been to be touristy all day, then boogie to the place in the evening. Should I change that to driving in the wee hours of the morning?

White house tour is out:

"Due to staffing reductions resulting from sequestration, we regret to inform you that WhiteHouse Tours will be canceled effective Saturday, March 9, 2013 until further notice. Unfortunately, we will not be able to reschedule affected tours.

We very much regret having to take this action, particularly during the popular Spring touring season"

let's go for the trifecta then...when I get a speeding ticket (even in compact car, I drive warp speed), what's the policy? Can you pay an energy conservation fine and drive away? They book you on the spot? Can I pay a lawyer to "handle" it for me? How much over is the typical allowance for speeding?

Boston was about 15 over everwhere. Williamsburg (last year) was about 2 miles over.

This completely depends on the cop and their mood for the day. As for energy conservation fine, I don't know. I've only been pulled over once and got a ticket so...Usually anything under 5 gets thrown out (if you go to court....) If they give you a warning then obviously its not booked. If they give you a ticket you can pay a lawyer or just pay the fine (probably cost about the same...) it depends on if where you live and the state you get the ticket is have reciprocity for driving infractions. One of my friends from college had a VA license when he was living in Michigan. Needless to say the number of tickets he got he should have lost his license for at least 6 months but they didn't have reciprocity so the tickets never got reported to the VA DMV.

My driving plan had been to be touristy all day, then boogie to the place in the evening. Should I change that to driving in the wee hours of the morning?

I'd probably stick with touring all day and boogie to the hotel in the evening.

....well like everyone else has said VA is humid and hot during the summer. I think everyone pretty much covered the NoVA suggestions, but I'd second going to see some of the Smithsonian Museums (The National Gallery, Air and Space, and Natural History) and even suggest checking out Embassy Row. Also, if you're in the Northern VA area on a Saturday check out Cars and Coffee at Katie's Coffee House in Great Falls from 7am-9am it's a great time.

...if you're going to be out on the Blue Ridge Parkway check out Skyline Drive, Monticello, Natural Bridge, and Carter Mountain Orchard. I hope this isn't too touristy, but if you're going to be in Williamsburg Busch Gardens is the best theme park in VA. On your way back you don't have to go through RVA, but if you do see if you can get a tour of the Capital. Other things to do in RVA include a canal tour or visiting the Virginia Museum of Fine Art.

• Moderators
John: I just want to throw it out there that I'd really like to meet up with you while you're in the DC area. I'm in Springfield, but I'll do my best to make time to meet up with you wherever you're at. If you want a place to stay for a night or two I could probably help out with that also if you don't mind being in the suburbs (need to clear this with the wife, just FYI).

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

more and more, Philly is looking like more than a quick drive through. Have to plan for a few days.

Philadelphia has always had the problem of being a half-day attraction. There's parking in a garage on Second Street between Chestnut and Walnut. Make sure any luggage or items which scream "tourist" are in the trunk or out of sight. Broken windows and thefts from the car are ordinary, and since the cops see it every day don't count on anyone getting caught. If you plan on heading south late in the day, see if the Phillies are playing at home. For day games avoid the sports complex area from 4 to 6. If it's a night game, after 6 is going to be bad.

Most of the tourist attractions are in the Independence Hall area at 5th and Chestnut. Lots of nice places for lunch and dinner on Market between Second and Fourth. Good Italian food at Spasso on Front between Market and Chestnut (one block from the garage). Enjoy.

As you drive into Buxton NC, there will be a little bakery on the right called the Orange Blossom. Go in, ask for an "apple ugly."

Thank me later.

(but be aware that they normally sell out by 10am or so, especially on weekends)

We're spending 3 nights across from the Wrights Brother's First Flight memorial. I'll have to make sure we get up early for a visit to Orange Blossom.

Archived