LegacyGT.com

Possible to move "ram air" system to scooped hood?

Oh that's cool I didn't know someone else had the same idea as me but actually made a cold air box for it. Mine was just there with the hoses. Worked fine but again I didn't even think about making a cold air box for it.

No i think its the STi emblem... pretty sure this is an STi strut bar on this particular car. again. not mine just a pic showing the style of air intake i was mentioning in my post...

Is that a glove shoved between the strut bar (which is worthless) and the airbox?

U really selling? If so, why?

Honestly I am seriously toying with the idea; but for the weirdest reasons. I love my car. its my DD. My previous WRX blew an engine - sans warning. As a result, I'm afraid that this one will go one day and I'll be left paying for this car and the one I repalce it with. I love Subaru's but they can be a PITA to work on. So, I guess I am thinking of getting out the game while the car still has value. However, I like driving and I can't find a suitable, low maintenance car out there that I like....:(:offtopic:;)

No i think its the STi emblem... pretty sure this is an STi strut bar on this particular car. again. not mine just a pic showing the style of air intake i was mentioning in my post...

I'm pretty sure there is a glove there.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

and it is a Cusco FSTB, no STI on that one

nice work glove

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

Honestly I am seriously toying with the idea; but for the weirdest reasons. I love my car. its my DD. My previous WRX blew an engine - sans warning. As a result, I'm afraid that this one will go one day and I'll be left paying for this car and the one I repalce it with. I love Subaru's but they can be a PITA to work on. So, I guess I am thinking of getting out the game while the car still has value. However, I like driving and I can't find a suitable, low maintenance car out there that I like....:(:offtopic:;)

Fixing my failing motor and will replace the LGT with a Honda after I drive it into the ground. I've had only good luck with all my Honda's and they're very easy to work on.

TL SH-AWD is in my future I can see it.

I thought that was a sock in the picture by the airbox. I hear you can gain 1-2 horsepower in Subaru's by feeding them stinky foot smell. The injectors love it, but you have to mix in Subaru Special Long Life Blinker Fluid at a 30:1 ratio.

For anyone interested I found this post which has a bit of information on the "Tornado" and a VIGV (Variable Inlet Guide Vanes) which is an ECU controlled tornado that can pivot the blades.

From what I can gather from the post is that these devices can help to decrease the surging effects from some turbo systems. They do this by acting only as a mass flow restrictor within the compressor inlet. The device simply creates a decreased air flow into the compressor housing, reducing surge.

So if you are getting compressor surge, some form of restrictor can help prevent this, but the downside is that this lower the maximum airflow possible under high loads (WOT) and therefore decreasing compressor efficiency and performance.

...you can see that the compressor efficiency at a given air flow is much lower with the VIGV's present. In practical terms, this means that a lot more turbine power will be needed to drive the compressor, which means higher exhaust back pressure, which means less engine performance, particularly at high air flows (i.e. full throttle).

So:

• If you are experiencing compressor surge that is effecting your vehicles performance then a restricor can help to increase low-medium load performance by reducing the surging effects, but will decrease high load performance.
  • If your turbo does not produce any surge then the addition of a restricting device will hamper performance as you are decreasing the available mass flow into the compressor at all rates.
  • If your vehicle does not contain a turbo then this device will definitely decrease performance as you are only restricting air flow into the engine (as if you added an orifice or a reducer into your inlet).

Archived