LegacyGT.com

If you had to be lame again.

You know, back in the days before the LGT :)

Basically I'm contemplating trading/selling the LGT with the goal of getting a different DD.

I really like the LGT, and it's paid off, but $300+ in gas a month is getting old. ($60 a tank to go 260 miles is starting to wear on me).

I'm likely to move to a place where I won't have two parking spots available, so I don't think keeping the LGT and buying a beater will work too well, but at the same time I don't think I'm going to get too much for a 2005 Unlimited LGT with 133K miles on it.

I'm just not sure if trading it in/selling it offers much financial sense.

I live in Southern California, so AWD really isn't needed.

Thoughts?

Well how does taking on a car payment, plus paying for fuel save you any money?

Unless the payments plus operating costs of the new car are under what you currently pay for fuel and insurance, then you aren't saving a dime.

If I were to find something that got 26 mpg city on regular I'd be saving about $30 a week or about $125 a month on gas costs, I'd wager insurance would be similar if not cheaper on the other car, but that's just a guess. On that note, my insurance on the LGT seems to be going up oddly enough despite a clean record (guess they're getting crashed more often as they become cheaper?). So anything higher than that city would be even more savings. Also, it's been extremely reliable so far (still original turbo), but at 133K miles I'm (needlessly?) worrying about things starting to break.

So what kind of new car has sparked your fancy? I am guessing something with a bit more fuel range. Which is understandable, since I too would like a bit more fuel range out of my own vehicle. At some point I'll park the Tundra and get another car for DD use, even though I know it will cost me money.

It would be nice to have longer range, and lower priced fill ups just so I am not constantly reminded of the Tundra's thirst. I would like to have a car that handles well, and rides more compliantly than a truck for long trips. The list goes on. The question is are all these benefits strong enough for me to part with my money? Right now the answer is no, but given some more time the "yes" column will fill up and I'll be in the market.

First of all, how do you only average 260miles out of a legacy tank? That is like a nicely driven full size pick-up mpgs. You must drive like you stole it. I was getting like 310-330miles per tank in mine. Second as penguin said buying a new car is not going to save you money when you already have one paid off.

I keep seeing leases for a new Ford Focus for around $150 a month and they keep advertising high fuel numbers (40 hwy is kinda magical when I'm besting 26).

In all honesty, nothing really strikes my fancy, it's a strictly cost saving view. Figured I'd drive around an econo car for another year or two and save up some money for a new toy.

And yes, it's mostly city driving and I drive it rather spiritedly. I like being first to the next red :-/

If you want a new car then buy a new car, just don't blow smoke up your own ass about how it will save you $$$. It won't.

Agreed. OP, buy a new car if you want a new car. Don't justify it with the "saving money" argument.

I recently bought a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT, but my justification was not to save money on gas, even though it is rated at 30 mpg city/42 mpg highway. Rather, I bought the JSW to slow down the rapid accumulation of miles on my '05 LGT wagon 5MT (152K) so that I can keep it for many more years. The LGT wagon will be relegated to a ski car with very rare track days included. :lol:

I keep seeing leases for a new Ford Focus for around $150 a month and they keep advertising high fuel numbers (40 hwy is kinda magical when I'm besting 26).

In all honesty, nothing really strikes my fancy, it's a strictly cost saving view. Figured I'd drive around an econo car for another year or two and save up some money for a new toy.

And yes, it's mostly city driving and I drive it rather spiritedly. I like being first to the next red :-/

If you really want to save money and live in socal your best option is to buy a motorcycle and get 50-100mpgs. Even with spirited city driving you will be getting high 20s- low 30s on a lot of bikes.

• 2 weeks later...

Faced with a long LA commute for the first time in my life, I traded my very-beloved LGT in for 2014 Mazda6 a week after moving into a new house back in January. So I'm that 'lame' guy you are looking for. A lot of things went into the decision, but the bottom line was that an hour or so each way in stop-n-go traffic with my stiff aftermarket clutch was painful - literally - on my knees (patellar tendonitis). Plus, the 16mpg I was getting was embarrassing and quite costly. The 6 has been great, but of course it's not nearly as fun as the LGT. Very sad to see the LGT go after 8 great years, but it was absolutely the right decision for me at this time. The good news is that the new house has a 3-car garage, and at some point I'm expecting to fill that extra spot with a used Boxster or similar.

I obviously didn't buy a new car to save money - I was due for a new car anyway - but I did the math and the $150 / month I'm saving in gas over the LGT goes a long way towards my monthly payment. I'm averaging 29mpg on my commute.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

^^^. Darn three car garage, who do I have to kill in NJ to make this happen lol. I didn't realize that the 2014 6's were out already. Good purchase and hope that you enjoy it...
2010 2.5GT limited is for sale. :)

As mentioned, your LGT is probably not worth a ton to be excited about selling it. I know the feeling of getting into a higher mileage car, but you will end up paying more.

Drive your current GT into the ground and save the money on not having a car payment. Then by the time it dies you can likely pay cash for your next car (or a very healthy down payment) which will be a nice perk to your monthly cash flow.

Go Cardinals!

I was in a similar situation last year. I got a new job that had a long commute and my Stg4 LGT wasn't very practical or economical for the 400-500 miles/week of stop and go driving. I sold it, my lifted '98 Jeep Cherokee, and a '07 Suzuki SV650 to buy a new Mazda 3 Skyactiv cash. I'm averaging 36-38mpg per tank of 87 octane gas, and I save money on insurance with only one car now.

My ultimate automotive goal is to get a Corvette Z06, and having a car I don't feel the overwhelming need to modify is getting me towards that goal rather quickly. I've got 31k miles on it in 13 months of ownership and I haven't had any issues besides some little interior rattles. Still much quieter than my LGT though.

You can find a used '12 Skyactiv 3 for ~$15k used right now, too.

First of all, how do you only average 260miles out of a legacy tank? That is like a nicely driven full size pick-up mpgs. You must drive like you stole it. I was getting like 310-330miles per tank in mine. Second as penguin said buying a new car is not going to save you money when you already have one paid off.

I get the same thing and, calculated at the pump, is exactly the MPG quoted that this car would get. Which I think is decent for a Stage 2 and yes there are some mpgs to get back with a better tune (running a wee rich). I should also mention, auto tranny. So 260 is about expected, at least for an auto, average city-ish driving.

Got a Prius. Cost me about $60 a month after all the gas savings. That was just a plus. Only got it so I can stop putting crazy miles on the legacy. Love my Prius. Barely any maintenance requires

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• 6 months later...

I would drive the LGT till it blows up personally. It's hard to beat a paid off good car when it comes to value.

If you can afford to take on a car payment, just take that money and put it in savings, and when the LGT dies you'll have enough for a big down payment and get just about any car you want.

I pay roughly $450-$500/ mo for gas. at 244k on my car. love not having a car payment. driving it into the ground.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Archived