LegacyGT.com

Exhaust leak after up/dp install

Hi all

So this week I installed a CNT catted downpipe and 08 STI up pipe. After I throw everything back together, there's a pretty noticeable exhaust leak coming from directly under the down pipe. The problem is, I can't tell if it's coming from the down pipe or from the up pipe.

Relevant facts:

* I used new gaskets on both side of the up-pipe. I drove maybe 30 miles with the leak, and when I pulled it apart the gasket on the up pipe still looked new

* I reused the down pipe to turbo gasket. I reused it when I pulled my factory DP for a clutch install 1200 miles ago, and it sealed back up just fine, so I thought I'd be fine this time

* The nut on the very bottom of the down pipe is extremely difficult to get to, because of the way the CNT flange/bell mouth thing is cast. I could only get the open end of a wrench around it, and I'm not terribly confident it sealed very well

* The down pipe did not sit flush with the turbo until I tightened the bolts to bring them together. I'm thinking this afternoon I may put the stock DP back on just to see if that fixes it.

What would you do in my shoes? I've attached pictures of the up-pipe to turbo after installation (in the area where the leak would be, if it were leaking), and the hard-to-tighten nut. My roommate has suggested some high-temp RTV, but that makes me nervous, and seems like a messy solution.

IMG_20130508_190658.thumb.jpg.75cdf384ac26aaa263dc5d0430cefe8b.jpg

IMG_20130511_102313.thumb.jpg.b4e97c99c6318d71e4729fc1482ae9e9.jpg

Stud goes into the turbo... The problem is that the flange on the nut touches the down pipe, not that the stud is too long. But, after feeling around some more, it feels like the gas is actually coming from below the flange... there may be a hole in the uppipe. Which would piss me off heh.

This is what I would do, others may or may not agree.

First thing I would do is undo all of those and get new gaskets for anything dealing with up pipe and dp. Meaning Up to mani, up to turbo, up to dp. Get OEM but i hear people having good luck with grimmspeed double thickness gaskets. Dealing with pre and post turbo is normally where gaskets actually matter the most for leaks. After turbo to downpipe you can use any manufacturer gasket for your exhaust.

After the gasket issue is no longer a problem i highly recommend you use OEM nuts for the turbo studs. If you use smaller or aluminum nuts they are prone to rounding. I have had it happen with the nuts that come with several aftermarket downpipes.

Regarding not being able to reach that bottom one. You can reach it with the open side of the wrench. At times you will prob need a different manufacturer's wrench since some are made thinner than others. Keep in mind hand tightening won't help the situation. Whenever at all possible use torque specs on those bolts i believe its 35-36ft-lbs. For that bottom one you could do last and get it on there at about the same pressure by hand. Then go all around making sure they are all down just like you would with a wheel.

Just my 2 cents...

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

• 1 month later...

A couple months old but could still be helpful.

Make a soap/water solution in a spray bottle and while the engine is cold, spray on the areas you think you may have a leak. When you start the car and the air starts to pass through you will see bubbles if air is escaping at the connections.

I used this method to find my leak, turned out to be at the up/mani.

A couple months old but could still be helpful.

Make a soap/water solution in a spray bottle and while the engine is cold, spray on the areas you think you may have a leak. When you start the car and the air starts to pass through you will see bubbles if air is escaping at the connections.

I used this method to find my leak, turned out to be at the up/mani.

Be sure to keep the soap and water away from your intercooler.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived