LegacyGT.com

Purchasing a Used Saab?

I'm mildly entertaining the idea of purchasing a used Saab, just wondering how bad of an idea that really is at this point. Would like to hear some opinions on reliability, parts availability, known issues with the cars etc.

The model I'm considering is a 2006 9-3 Aero SportCombi Wagon. I really like the body style and interior as well. This one has the 2.8L V6 turbo powerplant.

http://media.caranddriver.com/ez/images/news/car_news/first_look_2008_saab_9_3_aero_xwd_car_news/2008_saab_9_3_uber_gallery/2006_saab_9_3_aero_sportcombi_short_take_review_2006_saab_9_3_sportcombi_wagon_image_004/806242-1-eng-US/2006_saab_9_3_aero_sportcombi_short_take_review_2006_saab_9_3_sportcombi_wagon_image_0041_cd_gallery.jpg

I'm open to other alternatives if you guys have any suggestions, preferably a wagon.

I have always liked that Saab 93 wagon as it's rare and very good looking. But where do you get parts for it if it has issues? GM? Sweden? I'm not sure...

Edit- looks like there is an authentic website for ordering genuine parts. saabparts.com for North America.

I have always liked that Saab 93 wagon as it's rare and very good looking. But where do you get parts for it if it has issues? GM? Sweden? I'm not sure...

Edit- looks like there is an authentic website for ordering genuine parts. saabparts.com for North America.

I agree, I really like the style of the vehicle, probably one of the best wagon designs out there. Thanks for that tidbit on parts, I'll keep that bookmarked.

Get a 92x if you want a Saab wagon.

I've remotely considered the 9-2X but the interior appointments are quite dated at this point and definitely fall short in comparison to the other Saab models.

I've owned a 9-5 for a couple years and it was good to me. Awesome car, and I really enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, parts cost an arm and a leg, if you can even find them that is. If anything needs to be replaced, prepare to pay.

Good luck.

I had a 2000 9-5 Saloon. Solid car for the most part. As mentioned - parts can be spendy but there are some online retailers that are pretty good. Interior quality was great fit and finish, handling was meh, really comfortable though. Pretty sure 06 was when they brought in the 2.8 Cadillac motor (VVT) with a twinscroll setup if you get the Aero (as you mentioned in the OP).

Thanks for all the input so far.

Unfortunately, parts cost an arm and a leg, if you can even find them that is. If anything needs to be replaced, prepare to pay.

Good luck.

Yea..not quite what I was wanting to hear but deep down was expecting. I am a bit weary of the turbos running into issues on this model sometime down the road.

That's a new generation SAAB (06) w/ a GM motor, not know for reliability or longevity.

I'v owned over two dozen SAABs, the last one, a 2002 9-5 wagon (4 banger, last of the SAAB powered models) was a great car BUT I had access to great SAAB mechanics in a small shop. Parts really aren't that expensive but at a dealer or at retail, look out.

Funny, you should mention .... :) I've just thought about it yesterday. I was scratching my head between 08 turbo X and spec B for at least 6 months. I couldn't find turbo x for good money and I found great deal on spec b plus between me and 6 of my friends we must have close to 20 subarus on the driveways. try to beat that maintenance plan :)

I always loved 93 aero. Especially 07( or was it 06) and older. Turbo X is really rounded when it goes to stock look, wheels, exhaust sound. I am glad I am in spec B but I am really entertaining the idea of turbo X. Such a rare, great looking car.

does anyone know how tunable these are??? turbo x with 2.8 V6 is boosted stock at around 10psi I think. Seems like a lot of room to play with little bigger snale.

Search VTuner Saabs

I have a 2006 93 Aero Sedan. They are very comfortable loaded with many features not even available on my 05 Gt wagon, but in the end I much prefer driving the Legacy. Stock for stock from about 35 on the Saab is much quicker and with only a tune from VTuners it becomes even faster yet. But I still prefer the Leggy. I just think the Saab is less fun to drive.

You'll probably need front and rear rotors and pads if is over 40K and these things eat tires like mad (probably 2x as fast as out Legacy). Our stock HID bulbs are also pretty dim at this point and the car has 38k on it. Lastly, for a stock car the front lip is really low, I cannot keep my wife from ramming it into curbs when she parks.

Saab's are great looking, well rounded cars. The interior comfort and luxury is outstanding. My 1999 9-5 had front AND REAR heated seats. There aren't many 2013 luxury cars that come with this feature (maybe a 6-figure BMW 7-series or S-class Benz).

I heard a lot of horror stories where the turbo Saab's blew their turbos and motors at just over 150,000km. But I bought mine with 290,000km and drove it until 330,000km and had no issues except a dead starter. It all depends who drove it and how they maintained it.

I really wish they didn't go out of business. After owning one, I would definitely own another and recommend it to others.

I wish they didn't fold either.

I would love to own a 9-3 Viggen, but the wagon format seems a little more practical. But, unfortunately, I think I am going to shy away from the whole idea, seems a bit too sentimental rather than logical. Considering maybe a E46 wagon now...we'll see what crops up on the used market over the next little while.

Archived