LegacyGT.com

My Build Consideration - need your input

Just got a call from the shop, 830 am, and they confirmed they aftermarket OEM replacement they installed had lower capacity, be it the same thickness the veins for cooling were thinner.

We're looking to get a real Subi rad in there.

I believe this is the source of the problems.

Which aftermarket rad did they actually install?

Let's hope so.

Good Luck

^+1.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OEM rad fixed the problem.

Major difference is the number of veins (more cooling) and the inclusion of a foam seal (more air through). The result is I cannot get the temp to move much.

Now to really break this motor in!

That's good to hear. Yeah, now you'll have to be a bit patient in terms of pushing the engine.

It's on a 7psi break in map and builder wants it pushed to set rings.

Did this in the first 5 miles and went even harder last night :)

Break in

Car warmed up

Then, using 4th gear:

Do Three 1/2 Throttle runs from

40% - 60% of your engine's max rpm

Do Three 3/4 Throttle runs from

40% - 80% of your engine's max rpm

Do Three Full Throttle runs from

30% - 100% of your engine's max rpm

So how do you like driving your car again?

I missed it. I warped the rotors last night and found a torn cv boot. So it seems its always something.

Otherwise it was nice to run with the family in my car to grandmas house.

I think I have done everything I will to this car. If the turbo goes ill get a vf52. The motor is build to handle more then stage 2 and the warranty they gave me applies aslong as their tuner tunes it.

Little things bug me that I forgot about - dual climate control has no master set, always adjusting both sides.

Really looking to see what the 17.5 psi tune will feel like. That happens second week of August ! :)

I missed it. I warped the rotors last night and found a torn cv boot. So it seems its always something.

Otherwise it was nice to run with the family in my car to grandmas house.

I think I have done everything I will to this car. If the turbo goes ill get a vf52. The motor is build to handle more then stage 2 and the warranty they gave me applies aslong as their tuner tunes it.

Little things bug me that I forgot about - dual climate control has no master set, always adjusting both sides, body roll and steering wheel. But otherwise the car does nicely when I overlook those. Now to see if I can go 100k. Next major repair and I walk from it.

Really looking to see what the 17.5 psi tune will feel like. That happens second week of August ! :)

Good to hear! How did you end up warping your rotors? Are they pulsing now?

Heat I gather. Never stopped to allow for transfer. They vibrate coming down from 110-80 and then settle.

I notice a slight vibe around 60-45 and then it goes away. Most people probably wouldn't notice it.

Just going to consume these pads and switch setups down the road.

Do you still use the stock TMIC? If yes, I would 'bulletproof' it with the kit. I just did mine last Saturday. I am running about 17psi and oh boy, just found some oil sipping on one corner of the TMIC + some tabs starting to let go.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4520400&postcount=528

Heat I gather. Never stopped to allow for transfer. They vibrate coming down from 110-80 and then settle.

I notice a slight vibe around 60-45 and then it goes away. Most people probably wouldn't notice it.

Just going to consume these pads and switch setups down the road.

I couldn't wait, I swapped out pads that had well over 1/2 life left for some Hawk pads, had the rotors re-surfaced on a grinder not turned. Been great ever since.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I couldn't wait, I swapped out pads that had well over 1/2 life left for some Hawk pads, had the rotors re-surfaced on a grinder not turned. Been great ever since.

I'll probably go stoptech. I'm anti-hawk after several misfires and the learnings on of the internals of the company, their pad development and customer service.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I got off the break in tune, zero problems for 1800 miles, now to be popping a p0171 code. Tuner is having trouble getting the turbo to make more then 15-16psi. They're going to smoke test the car but I have to wait two weeks cause they're so backed up.

This has officially become the biggest PITA car I've ever owned. So disappointed right now.

Archived