LegacyGT.com

My Build Consideration - need your input

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Read beginning of next week :rolleyes:.

Max too funny!

Insert "xt2005bonbon" for "Max" in the second quote.

:)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

:ohhh:

Hopefully you still had a nice vacation.

It was a good time. Very relaxing.

We got a Chevy SUV small, model slips me, awd with a 4cyl. 22mpg, got it last minute because of the timing and it was $980 for 12 days rental.

So they're looking at a pretty big hit.

It was a good time. Very relaxing.

We got a Chevy SUV small, model slips me, awd with a 4cyl. 22mpg, got it last minute because of the timing and it was $980 for 12 days rental.

So they're looking at a pretty big hit.

Good to hear you had fun.

22mpg for a 4 banger and no turbo I presume? That's not very good in my eyes.

Good to hear you had fun.

22mpg for a 4 banger and no turbo I presume? That's not very good in my eyes.

No turbo. It's because in the mountains or passing on back roads you're beating on it hard.

I could guess what was on your mind while driving in the mountains or on steep road sections: "dang I miss my turbo :mad:"

Yup. not to mention the Subi is more luxury then the Chevy. It did sell us on getting an SUV so we're looking to add an MDX to the family.

It did sell on getting an SUV so we're looking to add an MDX to the family.

Or an OBXT or FXT :hide:. On a more serious note though, I'd be very interested to test drive the 2014 FXT. Even though it has a CVT transmission, it does have around 250 HP too and better fuel mileage than previous gens.

Or an OBXT or FXT :hide:. On a more serious note though, I'd be very interested to test drive the 2014 FXT. Even though it has a CVT transmission, it does have around 250 HP too and better fuel mileage than previous gens.

HAHA

Not big enough car for 2-3 kids plus dog.

Car wasn't ready, it was intense. The three guys I deal with all bailed, including owner before I arrived. Motor is built, needs to be put in car.

Called owner on cell and we had a very intense chat, on the shop floor for all the staff to hear. Car is to be ready Thursday or they rent me a sedan until its done.

Got the car back last night!

They went with a new crank for me an OEM bearings. They did a great job with the $$$ side of things and took a massive hit. The project costed me a lot less when it was all said and done.

The owner also explained what happened, why it happened and how they're working to deal with dropping the ball in the future. He bent over backwards to make up for the damage to their image.

So I'm on a break in map, following a hard break in style. Next Wed oil change and in a few weeks on a 17-18psi tune.

Make sure there is no air in the cooling system before you replace parts.

It's takes time for all the air to come out.

I left my car jacked up in the right front while I drove the get more coolant to top it off.

Not getting all the air out will cause your issue.

Jack up the right front corner, remove the cap from the turbo cooling tank, set the engine, cycle the heater, watch for the level in the tank to drop, top it off as needed.

Carry coolant with you for the next few day's. Top it off as needed. I think I put that in my thread

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Thanks, they just replaced the thermostat and rebleed. Drove, got more air out and are on another drive.

I have got there two guys on it. Will suggest lifting right side but they are using a bleeding tool to make a high spot above the turbo resivore.

bleeding tool... uh that's neat.

I guess it saves jacking up the right front corner and running the engine with the cap off and cycling the heater on.

That's why they get the big bucks....:)

Good luck.

Oh, carry some coolant with you the next few day's.

That didn't fix it. Can builds heat and then cannot recover until coming down a hill off throttle or idling.

I suspect the replacement radiator hasn't got the same thermo capacity. A larger one is going in Tuesday. No charge.

Oh, carry some coolant with you the next few day's.

^I always carry a 32 oz bottle of coolant and a quart of engine oil :). You never know.

That didn't fix it. Can builds heat and then cannot recover until coming down a hill off throttle or idling.

I suspect the replacement radiator hasn't got the same thermo capacity. A larger one is going in Tuesday. No charge.

Huh. The gauge never went into the red area right?

^I always carry a 32 oz bottle of coolant and a quart of engine oil :). You never know.

Huh. The gauge never went into the red area right?

Never went into the red. Never passed the top notch in white, well I didn't let it.

Tuesday they're installing a larger aftermarket rad, which should have more thermo capacity and increase the fluid in the cooling system. I am personally stumped as to why this would happen.

The only thing I can think of since we've confirm t-stat is working, water pump is, that there is a block or not enough thermo capacity in the rad. Anything I've missed?

I can't think of anything right now (except extreme things like headgaskets not properly torqued or something like that :confused:--I hope not). In any case, I remember reading a few threads on this forum where people were getting their temps up while going up hill and then it was going back down.. Like this one: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/temperature-gauge-goes-up-driving-uphill-08-lgt-190818.html?t=190818&highlight=temperature+uphill

Is your replacement radiator OEM? IMHO, I seriously doubt the stock radiator is having issues keeping your system cooled.

I can't think of anything right now (except extreme things like headgaskets not properly torqued or something like that :confused:--I hope not). In any case, I remember reading a few threads on this forum where people were getting their temps up while going up hill and then it was going back down.. Like this one: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/temperature-gauge-goes-up-driving-uphill-08-lgt-190818.html?t=190818&highlight=temperature+uphill

Is your replacement radiator OEM? IMHO, I seriously doubt the stock radiator is having issues keeping your system cooled.

Just got a call from the shop, 830 am, and they confirmed they aftermarket OEM replacement they installed had lower capacity, be it the same thickness the veins for cooling were thinner.

We're looking to get a real Subi rad in there.

I believe this is the source of the problems.

Archived