LegacyGT.com

This is what 150,000 miles and 7 years does to your water by-pass pipe.

As part of a repair and upgrade job on my 05 LGT, I replaced the Oil Cooler.

Figured I would share with you all the glorious image of the water by-pass pipe coming out of the oil cooler. I need to replace this.

IMG_20130504_173136.thumb.jpg.0a4e91f7ef818612dadc9689d68eeb07.jpg

Also, for good measure a picture of the old oil cooler and the new oil cooler and half my dad's license plate number.

IMG_20130504_175141.thumb.jpg.482ba82e39450d92fbdd053fcf54bfb7.jpg

Here's my old pipe at 154,000 miles.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4727.jpg

And the new one installed.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4767.jpg

I painted it with high temp paint. We'll see if that helped in about 6 years.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Took a look at mine after I read this thread, and was relieved to find mine appears to be brand new (looks like dealership replaced it before they sold the car to me approximately 6 months ago)! Interesting that this part isn't galvanized given where it is...

Damn... I'm glad I don't live in the northeast... that's a lot of rust on the pipe and sheet metal... ouch... there are some pluses to living in southern california :)

Here's my old pipe at 154,000 miles.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4727.jpg

And the new one installed.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4767.jpg

I painted it with high temp paint. We'll see if that helped in about 6 years.

POR-15 works wonders on parts like that, provided you brush it on onto new clean metal. After many years underneath my last car in the Northeast, I have yet to see a sign of rust or chipping on stuff I painted with it. High-heat enamel? I give it a year max. POR-15 is amazing stuff.

Zack K.

Damn... I'm glad I don't live in the northeast... that's a lot of rust on the pipe and sheet metal... ouch... there are some pluses to living in southern california :)

:rolleyes:Not enough to way out the negatives IMO.:spin::rolleyes:.

X2 to that one. But I guess if I grew up there, it might be different. I did spend 4 four years in the high desert in the late 70's. But I think its changed a lot since then.

POR-15, I'll have to check that out. Thanks,

Hey, I wonder how that stuff would work on my 86' Ford F150...LOL

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I also use por15 on my rusty 91 loyale. Hands down it can't be beat by any other rust and under coating I've used. I'm also painting my water pipe with the stuff while the engine is out.

I also use por15 on my rusty 91 loyale. Hands down it can't be beat by any other rust and under coating I've used. I'm also painting my water pipe with the stuff while the engine is out.

Make sure you topcoat it with something you like (regular enamel). If you don't it turns flat/ashy if exposed to UV rays. Doesn't affect the way it works, just looks ugly. I don't paint anything anymore unless it has been underpainted with POR-15 first.

Zack K.

• 1 year later...

I just ordered this pipe and 3 elbows / connectors to replace all this when I replace my radiator.

It's possible I ordered something wrong. Off of opposed forces this is what I grabbed

Number (from opposed forces diagram), description, part number, and quantity.

5 hose 807611031 3

4 Clamp oil hose 21351aa000 2

6 hose clamps 805918010 4

8 pipe-oil cooler 21328AA011 1

• 1 year later...
I bought my car with 153000 miles, my pipe was ugly too, and my oil cooler was leaking. Changing out the pipe, elbows and oil cooler oring were all a piece of cake with the right deep socket. :)

Archived