LegacyGT.com

thinking of trading in R32 - anyone done this?

doteleven

Hi - has anyone on this forum traded their VW R32 for a Legacy GT MT5 Limited Wagon? I'm willing to lose some of the go cart handling and superb engine responsivness to gain a little more space and comfort. Any thoughts?

Also - it is possible to get the OEM Nav installed as an aftermarket item? If so, any links?

Thanks in advance,

Albert

But that thread is about racing R32s... If I wanted to win races, I wouldn't have bought an R32, or I would install a StreetWerkes or EIP turbo system, or... and you would add some monster big turbo to the Legacy GT, and... but that's not the point.

I wanted some feedback on people who have gone from R32s to Legacy GTs. I'm aware of the tradeoffs (preconceived), but would like to hear from people who have made the switch.

Albert

finding people going from the r32 to anything is going to be hard, not because it's a super awesome car, but because it was a pretty limited production.

i'm not sure what kind of response you'd like, as i've driven both somewhat extensively (well lgt, no wagon for me). if you ask me specifics, i may be able to respond.

you'll find the seating and overall fit and finish of the Legacy GT to be lacking that of the R32 but it is a much more practical car.

Having owned a WRX for 3 years, now picking up a LGT Wgn and having driven a R32 on several occassions all you're really giving up is uniqueness and a little more "tossability" in terms of handling.

My WRX was faster than a R32 (apples to apples in terms of mods) and the LGT should be as fast (depending on driver).

I think you'll be happy if you really need the room. If not, it could be a push. I like the R32 but I think VW left some meat on the chicken bone in terms of what they delivered for stock power numbers...so much more to be easily had.

Hi gang,

I test drove the Legacy 2.5 GT today - not the limited, but I got to experience the powertrain.

First the good - the engine seemed reasonable, although there is no question that you are driving a forced induction machine. There is definitely lag, but it isn't so bad. The ride is very comfortable and the car is quiet - wind noise seems to be the ruling sound of the day, and it is pretty muted. The guages are very, very nice. I liked them alot - surprised I haven't read much about that on the boards here. I didn't get a chance to play with the climate control much, but it doesn't seem the disaster purported here, either.

BTW, the Limited interior in Taupe was beautiful. I loved it.

Maybe I still have too much of the R32 mentality, but main downer was the overall driving experience. The shifter is really vague, the car leans a huge amount in corners and understeers badly. The steering is ok - not too numb, but not too inspired, either.

Instead of saying, jeez, I won't buy this car, I'd like to know - does anyone in the Boston area have a car modded with a short shifter and some basic suspension mods (minimum ion springs and preferrably sway bars) that I can drive? I'd like to know what effect the mods would have before buying the car.

Many thanks in advance for all your help!

Albert

Understeer!? The car is tail-happy enough stock to have Consumer Reports warning about it during emergency maneuvers. Very neutral car methinks, more so than most, including the WRX. Haven't driven a R32, but I've read that it is neutral as well in the corners, even with the Haldex system. Kudos to VW for that.

-B

Hi gang,

Maybe I still have too much of the R32 mentality, but main downer was the overall driving experience. The shifter is really vague, the car leans a huge amount in corners and understeers badly. The steering is ok - not too numb, but not too inspired, either.

Instead of saying, jeez, I won't buy this car, I'd like to know - does anyone in the Boston area have a car modded with a short shifter and some basic suspension mods (minimum ion springs and preferrably sway bars) that I can drive? I'd like to know what effect the mods would have before buying the car.

Many thanks in advance for all your help!

Albert

Don't forget TIRES - they will make a HUGE difference. Yes, sway bars will too and I assume springs too (I have done tires and RSB...and short throw shifter...brakes and springs are next) but the RSB and Tires made a HUGE difference. Do TIRES FIRST...if you go with the LGT.

Good luck,

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Don't forget TIRES - they will make a HUGE difference. Yes, sway bars will too and I assume springs too (I have done tires and RSB...and short throw shifter...brakes and springs are next) but the RSB and Tires made a HUGE difference. Do TIRES FIRST...if you go with the LGT.

Good luck,

Hi - how much vagueness does the short shifter reduce? And do you have the Cobb or the factory short shifter?

Albert

Not sure what his mods are, but you can PM fzanetti - he's in Boston and pretty active on these boards.

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

Not sure what his mods are, but you can PM fzanetti - he's in Boston and pretty active on these boards.

Don't forget about scans007...he's got LOTS of mods. Oh, and Firedawgs...he's up in that area as well. Heck, there are tons of guys in the boston area...CHIME IN ALL! :lol:

My GT isn't a limited but I'd trade you straight across and I'll deliver it!

Seriously, the shifter gets a ton better with a short throw and bushings I have Cobb. I haven't driven a R32 but I assume the shifter is like that of a S4 and im my preference I like the legacys better a little more notchy but that is what I like. I've come from American Cars. The handling is helped a lot by tires, still not great. With springs and a rear sway the car should be rather good. Engine responsiveness is greatly improved when you do a uppipe and downpipe, you could also put on a lightweight crank pulley.

The R32 is the GTI VW should have been building for the last six years...essentially the from the inception of the Mark IV platform. It's easy to have a love / hate realationship with this company. As a former 1.8 GTI (1984) and current VR6 ('02) owner, I cannot imagine how bright things would be for VW if they were quicker on their feet and understood Japanese quality control methods.

Went form a 2004 STi to the 2005 LGT wagon here:

Lost some of the brutal acceleration - but not as much as I would have thought

Lost some of the handling - but that is VERY easily fixed

Lost some of the "in your face" attention - which I don't miss much at all

Gained some gas mileage

Gained TONS of passenger and cargo space. . .not to mention versatility

For NAV, you'd be better-off going aftermarket. Usually costs about the same, and the systems from Alpine, Pioneer and Kenwood are all excellent.

Far as getting a manual LGT wagon goes. . . . GET ONE FAST! They're not being made after 2005 in North America. I got mine, and I'm glad I did!

Went form a 2004 STi to the 2005 LGT wagon here:

Lost some of the brutal acceleration - but not as much as I would have thought

Lost some of the handling - but that is VERY easily fixed

Lost some of the "in your face" attention - which I don't miss much at all

Gained some gas mileage

Gained TONS of passenger and cargo space. . .not to mention versatility

For NAV, you'd be better-off going aftermarket. Usually costs about the same, and the systems from Alpine, Pioneer and Kenwood are all excellent.

Far as getting a manual LGT wagon goes. . . . GET ONE FAST! They're not being made after 2005 in North America. I got mine, and I'm glad I did!

I'm curious - when you say handling can be fixed - how? Just springs? Springs and sways? With the New England road salt and typical 1 year warranties on Japanese sourced Legacy coilovers, I'm hoping you're going to say springs. Otherwise I'll have to wait until I can justify KW v3s:(.

I've got a wagon at the dealer right now, BTW, that they are waiting on essentially an even trade for - so there is no way I would do a straight up trade for the R32 for a used Legacy when the dealer basically wants to do straight up trade for my car to a new Legacy...

One thing I am certain I will not get back is the exhaust note - the R32's exhaust note is second to none in the sport compact world. But its a tradeoff I've decided to make.

Albert

Last month we had two guys trade in R32's but for them it was more of an upgrade to the STi than a sideways move to the Legacy GT.

I got to drive one of them and yes the R32 is a great drivers car, them Konig seats really hug you, it handles great around fast corners and the shifter was sweet. I used to have a 98 GTi VR6 and I only wished I had that kind of handling and performance back then. But you are limited with a two door, they dont make them anymore and it aint a Subaru:D

Archived