LegacyGT.com

Turbo is Gone - Recommendations for rebuild

first off , figure out why the turbo failed , search "banjo screen"

replace the banjo screens w/ new ones , or remove it , new banjo crush washers also

out of those turbos , i would go w/ the bnr , dont forget the required for warrranty oil line from him on top of that $

replace the oil drain back hose from the turbo as well , no matter what turbo you get

the vf52 is a great choice , has a much better center section/bearing than the stock vf40

if driven dilligently and w/ the right tune , bnr or vf52 can give much improved power and BETTER gas mileage

the gms full ehaust w/ dp is a good deal but is way louder for sure , so keep that in mind

almost cheaper and easier to just keep the egt probe in the up

i agree w/ max cap , keep the stock airbox

may be a VERY good idea to drop the oil pan and see whats in there , if you have a very fine looking metallic milkshake , replace the oil cooler or clean it (i ran a parts washer through mine in every direction for 4 hrs and was happy that it was clean , the stuff that came out of it did not scare me , then i cooked it on a hot plate for 2 hrs). big chunks = oh boy $$$

a killer bee or moroso oil pickup is good insurance while you are there , a windage tray too for a little extra

the stock tmic is actually better for response and heat soak issues if you are staying below 16 , maybe 17psi boost , and w/ 100k mile plus stock fueling and engine internals that may be a good idea as well .

more boost will also cook you stock clutch setup quicker

find a good tuner and spend the money there

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, here is my final parts list, minus any maintenance parts that I may need. I would love the groups feedback, as well as any additional items you feel I may need. I would also like to get information from everyone on those parts I may not have thought about, ie gaskets, oil lines filters, and other stuff I should do at this time.

Invidia Catless Uppie $147

Invidia Catted Downpipe $489

Invidia Q300 Cat Back Exhaust $639

BNR TD05-16G $750

Optional:

IPR TMIC $500

AEM Cold Air Intake $250 (Lot's of folks saying stay stock air box with a high performance filter)

My concerns:

Exhaust

1) I do not want loud. I love the HKS Silent Hi-Power, but it is $450 more, not sure if it is worth the extra.

2) Melted bumper. I've seen posts of this happening.

3) I also like the Megan Single Tip Cat Back @ $650

Down Pipe

Catted v. Catless - I don't want the smell, I've got 2 young kids

Turbo

16G or 18G! It is a $25 dollar difference to move to the 18G.

TMIC

Should I upgrade or get a bullet proof TMIC kit?

Looks pretty good. Dont know why you're so dead set on the cai, especially since you don't want noise, but whatever. It's your car. Do what makes you happy, I always say. Get the 18g. Don't live with regret over 25 bucks.

Best addition to your list is probably a fuel pump. Injectors would help out too but you probably ought to think about an EBCS and a Forge bpv first. Accessport or protuned (or both)?

Get a set of Grimmspeed gaskets and an IP&T oil line. Start thinking about a clutch and flywheel combination. Stock clutch may not hold that power level.

Stock directly to stage 3. I love it. Have fun!

Not sold on the CAI, something my tuner/mechanic has recommended. I think I'm going to keep the stock box and go with a K&N, Perrin, or other high performance drop in filter. Put the $250 towards something else.

Got a PM to look at the Forced Performance 68HTA Turbo. I've read a few posts, anyone else have info? Reason I've been leaning more towards the 16G is I am looking for a faster spool for spirited drive vs a higher top end and top speed. This is still my daily driver.

I have the BNR 16g with catless both pipes and a gs ebcs, I really like what I'm seeing out of it and I'm only on my first rev on the e-tune.

EDIT: skip the CAI, spend the money on a boost control solenoid and a high performance filter. You can also skip the catback as it won't add much power but if you want it for the sound go for it.

Just BP the TMIC unless you have $500 burning a hole in your pocket. Just doesn't seem like a cost effective upgrade at this power level but others can chime in on that.

Definitely go catted if you can, your kids will appreciate it. My pipes are catless and it really gets old smelling it every time I step out of the car.

As far as 18g vs 16g, you can get away with a 16g on stock fueling whereas an 18g will require pump and injectors to reach its power potential. I did ask Bryan at BNR about running and 18g on stock fueling and he did not recommend it unless planning to upgrade injectors and FP and then retune soon.

I'm not sure what clutch you're running but you might have to look at upgrading that as well on an 18g... or just tune it right til it slips then back off lol.

If you want it here's my parts list, I feel I got great bang for buck.

CNT catless DP $200 ($369 for catted)

$150 for Invidia UP

~$40 for Grimmspeed 3" dp to stock catback adapter

$90 used Grimmspeed EBCS

$550 for rebuilt BNR 16g

$85 PTP turbo blanket

$30 for 50' of 1" DEI wrap

$50 for all new Grimmspeed gaskets

$165 for IP&T filtered lines

$175 for CryoTune

And I still need to spend the $90 for a BP TMIC kit. I also got a defrost vent gauge pod and boost gauge for $75. So I ended up spending $1700 for a mild performance oriented rebuild. Seeing where others have spent $1k on the turbo alone I feel I got a excellent value.

Ok, decisions have been made and the orders have been placed. SigmaTec Automotive in Columbus, Ohio is going to take care of the work and then we'll need to get the car all tuned up. Cost is a little more than I originally wanted, but overall I'm happy. Cost is the same as what the dealership wanted to charge, just to replace the trashed VF40.

http://www.bnrsupercars.com

BNR EVO III 16G

http://www.ajwperformanceproducts.com.

Invidia Uppie

Invidia Catted DP

Invidia Q300 V3

DW65c Fuel Pump

AEM CAI (I know people said don't, but my mechanic and tuner recommended it, so it's getting done)

All gaskets, bolts, and studs

Extras

Grimmspeed EBCS

BP TMIC Kit

Still looking for a high feed, filtered oil supply line. Found two at http://www.infamousperformance.net, one at $175 (oil only) and one at $220 (oil & avcs). That seems pretty steep, are their any alternatives?

Is there anything that else that I am missing? Please let me know now so I can order ASAP.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE THAT HELP ME ON THIS. :-)

Ok, decisions have been made and the orders have been placed. SigmaTec Automotive in Columbus, Ohio is going to take care of the work and then we'll need to get the car all tuned up. Cost is a little more than I originally wanted, but overall I'm happy. Cost is the same as what the dealership wanted to charge, just to replace the trashed VF40.

BNR EVO III 16G

Invidia Uppie

Invidia Catted DP

Invidia Q300 V3

DW65c Fuel Pump

AEM CAI (I know people said don't, but my mechanic and tuner recommended it, so it's getting done)

Extras

Grimmspeed EBCS

BP TMIC Kit

Still looking for a high feed, filtered oil supply line. Found two at http://www.infamousperformance.net, one at $175 (oil only) and one at $220 (oil & avcs). That seems pretty steep, are their any alternatives?

Is there anything that else that I am missing? Please let me know now so I can order ASAP.

The only reason people avoid swapping the intake is that it requires extra tuning to compensate for the difference in airflow the MAF is reading. All it comes down to is extra work for the tuner, which equals extra money spent. Plus, since the stock intake will flow nearly 300whp, there's not much of a point upgrading. To each his own.

Who's your tuner?

BNR EVO III 16G

Invidia Uppie

Invidia Catted DP

Invidia Q300 V3

DW65c Fuel Pump

Extras

Grimmspeed EBCS

BP TMIC Kit

You just need the $175 oil only line. I think the forced performance kit may be cheaper, and I know there's talk of making your own kit from parts from McMaster-Carr and another supplier. However FWIR the IP&T lines are the best quality and I wanted the easiest/highest quality install.

Looks like you're good, that Invidia setup is going to sound amazing. Consider heat treatment/wrapping as well if you're looking for max performance and fastest spool. It's not super expensive and it's been shown to make gains. Plus DEI titanium looks badass.

You may want to have the o-rings at the intake manifold to TVG's replaced while they are putting on the CAI is being done.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The only reason people avoid swapping the intake is that it requires extra tuning to compensate for the difference in airflow the MAF is reading. All it comes down to is extra work for the tuner, which equals extra money spent. Plus, since the stock intake will flow nearly 300whp, there's not much of a point upgrading.

Add to that the evidence that most of these so-called performance filters are less efficient than the stock panels at removing dirt from the air. Unless the stock intake is a bottleneck, all you from replacing it is more noise and higher engine wear.

I don't rescale every single intake I come across. The better ones have good scalings available from the supplier or from the opensource community. However, I do my best to convince any customer with a turbo 20G or smaller to refit the stock intake before I tune his car.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

You make a persuasive argument and I really don't want to spend the extra funds if it is not necessary, but for some reason my builder is really for it.

^ So to understand, you would stick with stock air box and a stock filter?

Yes. Under about 350whp, stock intake is not a restriction. Why not just read the Which turbo? wiki?
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I did, multiple times and it is well put together. Helped me choose my BNR 16G. However, there are time that you look for additional feedback, and I appreciate yours. :)

Most would suggest an aftermarket high-flow panel filter in the stock airbox. I'm not sure which one is recommended, but you can start there.

Honestly, I'm not sure why your tuner would be pushing for an intake. Have you talked to any other tuners in Ohio? Are you planning on tuning in person or would you think about e-tuning?

I have the same Perrin Panel filter in my wagon that my son put in back in Aug 04. I use the K&N cleaning kit on it once a year.

I have a K&N filter for my Spec B just haven't got around to putting it in yet.

I only had the filter for about 2 month's may be 3, but I think the car has only been driven 100 miles in that time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

fahr_side - Do you have any recommendations for a stock box filter, considering my set up?

Yes. This is the best filter for you.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/info/16546AA10A/

• 3 weeks later...
Finally picking up the car today. Now I have to figure out how to flash the ECU. I got a base map from Infamous Performance and a Tactrix cable (thank you Hepy117), but I have no idea what I'm doing. Watched several videos last night and read as much as I could, so I should be ready. 5:30pm can't come fast enough. Already thinking of the next steps for suspension, brakes, and appearance.

Archived