LegacyGT.com

Hyundai has MP3, Legacy doesn't?

Noticed this over the weekend. The LCD has the letters "SAT" in the middle of the displace. I wonder what it's for?

Some cars with optional iPod capabilites aren't cheap. Volvo has that as an $400 option.

It is a shame they don't offer the MP3 since it really doesn't cost them that much money. Sony's MP3 decks only cost $25 more than the comparable non-MP3 decks.

:confused:

Dude, you're killing me. CleanSweep is made by JL Audio and yes, it will do what you state, provided you are also installing aftermarket amplifier(s) and speakers.

Best regards,

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

Lolololol I was using about .02% brainpower making that post, I can tell. Sorry about that.. I have a JL 500/5 though so you have to forgive me.

Ehehehe.

How expensive can a 1/8th inch headphone jack-style input be? Yeah, full-on iPod integration is a couple hundred dollars... but a simple input into the head unit would be enough to make a big difference.

have the input, activate the sat button and indicator (notice that the round source button has only 3 settings? I believe SAT would be the fourth.)

This isn't difficult, and not really expensive.

Thanks Brady! What other diff's are there in the VDC unit? crafty- I know its a different catergory, the Hyundai being a lower class of course:lol:, and I didn't want to compare the cars per se, but why a $18k sedan has an MP3 player stock and a $30k sedan doesn't... not the car diffs as a whole (FWD vs. AWD, price catergory, etc...), just the standard equipment that I thought we should have. I was looking for other reasons why we haven't got it yet, even on the '06's! Just seems that SOA only wants it on the Outback VDC and I guess we'll all just have to deal with that for at least another year. I know, I know, there are lots of other aftermarket options. BUT, I just wanted to ask the simple question of why not stock? Just curious if there were other reasons behind this. Still haven't found one though... any thoughts?:confused:

Well, I could go on about it here, but I've covered it extensively in this thread: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10507

Scroll towards the end and I have a fairly full review of the model. There are some things I might add to my review, but it's mostly covered in the thread. As always, feel free to PM if you have specific questions not answered.

haha, alpine CleanSweep.... And replying to a thread where a JL employee is posting, nice.

I tried to find a car audio shop where someone would quote me a CleanSweep install. I got the local JL authorized installers, none of them had an idea when they were coming in. They didn't have any plans to do any installs, and they haven't called me back yet.

e-mail me at "myusername"@jlaudio.com with the information on the genius dealer who told you that and let me know your zip code. I will put you in touch with a dealer who doesn't suffer from rectal-cranial inversion.

Best regards,

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

It's not like it would cost them more than $0.25 to have that feature... it's just software. Not to mention the savings from not having to make/stock two head units (the MP3 capable VDC unit and the non-MP3 capable base unit). Totally baffling IMO.

The lack of optional satellite radio is also inexcusable in this day and age. And why don't we get steering wheel controls in a $30,000 car?

Oh, well... I didn't buy it for the audio system that came with it, that's for sure.

If you look at the two head units, they're exactly the same except for the MP3 capability. I'm curious if there's not a way to unlock that capability in the head units we have. It's just software and in a lot of cases, it's cheaper to just shut off the capability for product differentiation than it is to produce two different units.

EXACTLY!!! If I correctly understand what you're saying, the Sonata shouldn't even come close to comparing with the Legacy GT LT. I agree. Yet, somehow it gets a standard MP3 and we don't...:confused:

I wouldn't go that far. The Legacy does compete against the Camry and Accord to some degree and therefore the Sonata. Also, don't underestimate Hyundai. First off, they're one of the world's few TRULY profitible auto manufacturers. Toyota is another. By truly profitible I mean they make more than just an operating profit. They actually cover their capital expenses. Plus their quality is great these days. Too bad their cars are boring as hell.

if you're looking to buy a Hyundai, you're looking for value over performance. That's why they're boring but after seeing the new Sonata it's not that bad. But they make up for creature comforts. How are the OE Michelin tires they use on them compared to our RE92 crap.

I don't think anybody is suggesting that the Hyundai and the LGT are directly comparable... the point is: Why doesn't a car with premium aspirations have a competitive audio feature set (which wouldn't cost a lot of money to implement)?

If you look at other $30,000+ semi-premium sedans (BMW 3, Acura TL, Accord V6, Infiniti G35, Audi A4, etc.) and they have these capabilities, shouldn't Subaru be competitive?

At the very least we should have steering wheel controls, satellite radio capability, MP3 playback and an auxiliary input. The hardware is likely ready for most of these features, they just decided not to activate it.

^^^THANK YOU msmith!!! That's all I tried to say in the first post! I was just looking to talk about what the possibilities were regarding WHY we don't have one, not how I was thinking of trading in my Subbie for a Hyundai Sonata:D. I used the Sonata because it was suprising to see an $18k model come stock with something we CAN'T get on a $30k sedan. I do appreciate the humor though BoxerGT2.5 and evil_O!:lol: I know you guys are here to keep it light!
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

If you look at other $30,000+ semi-premium sedans (BMW 3, Acura TL, Accord V6, Infiniti G35, Audi A4, etc.) and they have these capabilities, shouldn't Subaru be competitive?

Well said. +1

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

Lolololol I was using about .02% brainpower making that post, I can tell. Sorry about that.. I have a JL 500/5 though so you have to forgive me.

Ehehehe.

You are forgiven... just don't let that happen again.

:D

When the the legacy was released - I thought WOW, what a value, and I am thrilled about it. Would I take more goodies for the same $$ or a few bucks more...OK

I am more focused on Ipod hook ups. Someone on this site could come up with somesing simple and make a good buck IMO

I'll buy the first one as long as I can install it in an hour or less

Archived