LegacyGT.com

Hyundai has MP3, Legacy doesn't?

Ok, I own a '05 GT LT as you can see, so first and foremost this is in NO way a Legacy bashing:) . Just curiosity led me to look this up after reading an article in my local Seattle paper about the new Sonata. Yes, I know, I actually read an article about a Hyundai and I'm quite silly. Anyways, the BASE model on this Sonata thing (~$18k) comes with MP3 capabaility... :confused: huh??? Just trying to figure out how we didn't get this right off the bat in the Legacy. Those who know more then I do, please speak up. Did Subaru have a contract wih Pioneer or others that doesn't allow them to shop around to get MP3 capability in a $30k car? Just looking for background and other info to help explain this to myself. I LOVE THIS CAR, but felt somewhat saddened :( when I saw that a Hyundai has MP3 standard and we don't...
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

I think it's because the flagship model of the Outback, the VDC, has MP3 and they're trying to move that model more?

Think of it this way, the Acura TL doesn't have MP3 playback, but the RL does. (But the TL does have other cool toys)

Hmmm, good point !S4. But then why doesn't the "Flagship" Legacy GT LT have MP3? That's the Flagship IMHO that they should be paying attention to!!! I've never seen an ad or anthing mentioning the VDC model and it's "supreme stereo" :). I hadn't even heard of the VDC carrying it until you said so! Funny how it's only on ONE model that Subaru offers, yet it's still the same stereo set-up/config. How much would it cost honestly to apply the stereo from the VDC to the Legacy GT LT? Has anyone even bought one of those yet?:confused: Anyone on this board have a comment about buying one? I wouldn't want to retrofit it from one to the other, but if offered as a factory option... what, maybe another $150 or so? At the most! Anyways, just sharing some thoughts here and not trying to whine about it too much:lol:
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Every Option adds cost. If you simply compare options carto car, you will find Subaru is expensive.

However, we know there is more than that in the equation.

All manufacturers hold onto some things for next year too. After all how else can they improve on an already awsome car. (mps, xenon, _______)

I would say Subaru traditionally does a very poor job of introducing options available in other comparable cars. The Legacy GT Limited should come with an MP3-capable deck, or it should be a reasonably cheap option as it in the the Acura TSX...which is in the Legacy's class. Of course, if you know enough, you can go out and buy the VDC deck and easily install it. I did this and I'm generally pleased with the result. But the cost was stupid.

The way I understand it, the MP3 situation won't be changing in the 06 Legacy...so this isn't one of those situations where they were holding onto something for the next model year. The big upgrades for 06, as I understand it, will be navigation and more power. No MP3, no Xenon lights, etc.

Back to my point about Subaru being stingy with options. Does anybody else think it dumb that we don't have windows [at least the front ones] with auto up and down? How about the ability to open or close the windows and sunroof from outside the car with a key? How about the ability to open or close the sunroof by changing the setting on one dial or switch? Volkswagen offers all of these features. Acura does, too. Why not Subaru?

My answer is that Subaru hasn't had to worry too much about competitive options because they build a solid car for a great price. The principal feature is AWD. This situation is starting to change as more and more AWD cars appear. Even now, Subaru is clearly spending more time on the styling and interior layout and quality in their cars. Hopefully, this will eventually translate to more upscale features being included from the factory or available as options.

If Subaru didn't have a head unit that played MP3s it'd almost be acceptable that the LGT didn't offer it. But, knowing they've got one but just refuse to sell it to us is the rub. I mean really -- would it kill them to stick it on the option list for another $100? It's not like they've got to go out and design one from scratch.

It's not like it would cost them more than $0.25 to have that feature... it's just software. Not to mention the savings from not having to make/stock two head units (the MP3 capable VDC unit and the non-MP3 capable base unit). Totally baffling IMO.

The lack of optional satellite radio is also inexcusable in this day and age. And why don't we get steering wheel controls in a $30,000 car?

Oh, well... I didn't buy it for the audio system that came with it, that's for sure.

Wow... glad to see I wasn't the only one confused about all this. Again, this car is great and as msmith said, I didn't buy it for the audio system either :) (250HP anyone?:D ) But when I found out that the Hyundai offered it and our very own VDC had the option built right it (thanks for the info !S4), I'm still dumbfounded how this hasn't found its way into the GT LT at the very least!!! Am I hearing correct too, that MP3 is only available with the Nav option on the '06 GT LT also? Haven't confirmed this myself, just wondering out loud to those who may have the answer...

For the record, Hyundai has been exceptional in their class when it comes to standard features.

My '02 Hyundai Elantra, for example, came standard with power windows, locks, A/C. The only option I had to pay for was a package for keyless entry & cruise control. On the other hand, a base Ford ZX2 has no A/C, and no power windows or locks. You have to pay an additional $3K - $4K just to equip it as nicely as the Hyundai, and the build quality still sucks in comparison.

So Hyundai is all about value, and it doesn't surprise me that they continue to impress in that respect.

There's no easy way of hooking this up... At least not to my knowledge. All of the FM transmitters I have tried have sucked also.

It requires something like an Alpine cleansweep or whatever they're called, they have aux inputs, you can wire an ipod jack to one of those and still use your factory unit.

It requires something like an Alpine cleansweep or whatever they're called, they have aux inputs, you can wire an ipod jack to one of those and still use your factory unit.

:confused:

Dude, you're killing me. CleanSweep is made by JL Audio and yes, it will do what you state, provided you are also installing aftermarket amplifier(s) and speakers.

Best regards,

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

the legacy has awd and the hyundai doesn't.

there it is.

Exactly. Hyundai has never made any of their cars anything but FWD, which of course is not too exciting. But the next Tiburon will be RWD and may compete with the 350Z.

Anyway, the Sonata isn't even competition for the Legacy. It's supposed to be competition for the Camry & Accord. And it beat them in the Edmunds.com comparison.

haha, alpine CleanSweep.... And replying to a thread where a JL employee is posting, nice.

I tried to find a car audio shop where someone would quote me a CleanSweep install. I got the local JL authorized installers, none of them had an idea when they were coming in. They didn't have any plans to do any installs, and they haven't called me back yet.

Anyway, the Sonata isn't even competition for the Legacy. It's supposed to be competition for the Camry & Accord. And it beat them in the Edmunds.com comparison.

EXACTLY!!! If I correctly understand what you're saying, the Sonata shouldn't even come close to comparing with the Legacy GT LT. I agree. Yet, somehow it gets a standard MP3 and we don't...:confused:

To the end of the cost of the VDC unit compared to the standard 6 disc unit in the GT line-up - The RETAIL price difference between the 2 items is only $50. So they could very easily offer it as an upgraded option for $50 already (this is the most marked up price currently). If they offered it for $150, I'm sure a lot of people would bite (I would have). I know, because I already bit at the over $600 price tag I paid to get the VDC unit ... and I'm still tickled to death with it! :D

Yes, it is mind boggling that it isn't just simply standard on the GT, and simply STUPID that is isn't at least a factory option.

Ok - majority rules: They should have had the mp3

However to compare the H to a Legacy is, well, odd in my opinion. I am open to all brands, because I dont own stock in any, but it is clear there are different categories.

Thanks Brady! What other diff's are there in the VDC unit? crafty- I know its a different catergory, the Hyundai being a lower class of course:lol:, and I didn't want to compare the cars per se, but why a $18k sedan has an MP3 player stock and a $30k sedan doesn't... not the car diffs as a whole (FWD vs. AWD, price catergory, etc...), just the standard equipment that I thought we should have. I was looking for other reasons why we haven't got it yet, even on the '06's! Just seems that SOA only wants it on the Outback VDC and I guess we'll all just have to deal with that for at least another year. I know, I know, there are lots of other aftermarket options. BUT, I just wanted to ask the simple question of why not stock? Just curious if there were other reasons behind this. Still haven't found one though... any thoughts?:confused:

Archived