LegacyGT.com

Power Mod

I believe that is works but it just works on phase 1 cars not phase 2 like mine. I would love to see your car in action with it off and on, so if you could take a vid of the gauges that would be cool. I would appreciate it so it doesn't drive me crazy. I would have something to compare mine to along with the one I'm doing to a phase 1 LGT thing weekend. Thanks in advance.

Yeah, I legitimately scared the crap out of myself, lol.

EDIT: I just noticed how disgustingly dirty my dash looks in that video. That's what I get for filming with the sun so low. Funny since I just finished detailing the crap out of the interior and it's actually quite spotless. Damn you dust! Damn you to hell! *shakes fist*

I just did the power mod yesterday to test how it feels. I'm going to do a more permanent install later but for now I grounded it with a solid wire going to the bolt where the tcu attaches under the dash. I put an interrupter switch in the middle to turn it on and off. Only problem is I can't tell whether or not it's doing anything. Is there an easy way to check that doesn't involve getting on the freeway?

Also, is there somewhere other than a junkyard where I could get a pigtail connector? I'm not sure I'm connecting properly at the tcu

You could get a pigtail from the dealer but I was able to make one work from a phase 1 connector even though I have the phase 2. Another way would be to get some solid core wire, bend it a little and stick into the connector and when you put the connector into the tcu make sure your pushing on the wire so it contacts the pin. The bend you put on the exposed wire should bite better and prevent it from coming out. I agree, it sucks that's there's no way to tell if its turned on, like the "power" light on the dash in the SVX or first gen Legacys.

I just did the power mod yesterday to test how it feels. I'm going to do a more permanent install later but for now I grounded it with a solid wire going to the bolt where the tcu attaches under the dash. I put an interrupter switch in the middle to turn it on and off. Only problem is I can't tell whether or not it's doing anything. Is there an easy way to check that doesn't involve getting on the freeway?

Also, is there somewhere other than a junkyard where I could get a pigtail connector? I'm not sure I'm connecting properly at the tcu

Porkchop, it is a demand for power.

As such, you have to floor the s**t out of the pedal & go faster! >:D

Instead of the transmission shifting early, it takes its shifts beyond 5k.

I can get my car to redline if I really wanted to (I have done it before).

It is primarily a freeway function but can make high speed cornering much fun as well (practice is needed to use power mode in the corners: forewarning.)

I just smashed the end of a smaller female connector & used it to ground 4th pin.

I can do a better video later. This is all I could do at the moment for a myriad of reasons. Anyway, hope this at least shows SOMETHING...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ugm0it3n4a6vq6l/2013-04-13%2008.15.02.mp4

I appreciate you taking a vid but for some reason I can not plat it on my phone. I'll try to view it later on my PC.

So, update from another recent power modder. I was able to get up to 6k+ rpm so I'm figuring I did it right. I guess it feels a little sportier but I'm not sure I'd call it night and day. It still seems pretty reluctant to downshift a lot of the time when I'm driving around town. It's not necessarily a bad thing because I can still get good fuel economy if I don't drive it hard. I probably just need to get used to how much throttle to give it though. Sport mode will probably be left engaged from now on.

Unrelated gif, because it's monday morning on tax day and we could all use a little breakdancing mr. rogers in our lives.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Rogers_breakin.gif

So, update from another recent power modder. I was able to get up to 6k+ rpm so I'm figuring I did it right. I guess it feels a little sportier but I'm not sure I'd call it night and day. It still seems pretty reluctant to downshift a lot of the time when I'm driving around town. It's not necessarily a bad thing because I can still get good fuel economy if I don't drive it hard. I probably just need to get used to how much throttle to give it though. Sport mode will probably be left engaged from now on.

Unrelated gif, because it's monday morning on tax day and we could all use a little breakdancing mr. rogers in our lives.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Rogers_breakin.gif

Use a toggle switch because the power mode is a separate function & the car is hesitant to choose gears because its waiting in that one gear for you to floor it while the normal mode up shifts as soon as possible, which will be better in the long run for mpgs. That is what I mean by night & day difference. Power mode for passing power/shenanigans & normal mode for economy.

what i hate about the stock working of the gear changing is thatif i take off at a normal rate, it up shifts at like 16-18 mph. 2nd gear is pretty useless at that point, and if i am going up a hill and decide i want more power, it wont downshift at all. same goes for 2nd to 3rd shifts,i have to WoT it to get it to drop down again.

I've actually been pretty happy with the shift logic on my car. In general, it hunts for gears a LOT less often than many other automatics, though that's partially to do with the fact that it has four gears, not six. My dad's Audi at highways speeds was infuriating, as it would shift into 6th, but as soon as you even THOUGHT about even resting your foot on the pedal, it would drop back into 5th, so you'd constantly be flipping between the two unless you were on cruise control.

As for up-shifting and downshifting, mine seems to know when I do or don't want it to downshift... or maybe a better way to put it would be that I can pretty reliably control when it downshifts because the limits are very predictable, but I definitely don't have to floor it to get it to drop down as you describe - far from it.

I've actually been pretty happy with the shift logic on my car. In general, it hunts for gears a LOT less often than many other automatics, though that's partially to do with the fact that it has four gears, not six. My dad's Audi at highways speeds was infuriating, as it would shift into 6th, but as soon as you even THOUGHT about even resting your foot on the pedal, it would drop back into 5th, so you'd constantly be flipping between the two unless you were on cruise control.

You should drive an 8-speed auto Lexus. Talk about infuriating.... 8 is just too many gears to have.

As for up-shifting and downshifting, mine seems to know when I do or don't want it to downshift... or maybe a better way to put it would be that I can pretty reliably control when it downshifts because the limits are very predictable, but I definitely don't have to floor it to get it to drop down as you describe - far from it.

mine has about 184k on it now, and i dont know how well the PO treated it. it could have shift issues, and it could be that it is FWD only. either way, it is significantly different to drive than the GT i just bought. the GT feels like the power mode is on already.

Archived