LegacyGT.com

Replacing the coil pack in my '98 L wagon.

Hello all,

Now I know the forums say that the MSD coil pack is the way to go, but I have access to my buddy's stock STi coil pack (from a 2012). Now the reason for my concern is this, the numbering on the coil pack does not correspond with mine. That being said, does the ecu control the coil packs fire rate or is that in the coil pack itself where that is regulated? I tried to find out on my own through various means and the only answer I've come up with so far is, "Try it. See if it works". I'm just a little apprehensive with 'just trying it' with my DD. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The coil pack on the second gens is completely different from the STi coil pack. The second gen coil pack sits on top of the intake mani and the STi coil pack consists of four separate units that plug into the valve covers. As far as I know both are controlled by the ecu. So I don't think it will work.

It looks exactly the same as mine. Just different numbers on the plugs. Same bolt pattern and everything. Hmmm....If i could figure out how to make my images smaller I would post pics.

So, the plug/prong setup is slightly different but beyond that, I think it will work. I will do a full install tomorrow and fire her up. I'm optimistic so again, I'll update with more info when I have it.

yeah, read this:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1192028

also for reference, ej20g heads = ej25D heads

alsoalso, wrx coil packs are the same as STi ones, with different part numbers.. because from what im seeing anything wti 'STi' = more $$

you may be running into problems such as the boot not engaging the plug as well as some heat range problems

Its supposed to increase fuel efficiency and smooth out the idle. In my opinion it does both, a horsepower gain is debateable but there has been no dyno test as far as I have seen since its not a direct replacement part.

I have one installed on my 2.2 and I believe its helped my idle stay where it needs and has a bit more giddy-up in the higher rpms. I have done a few different things to my car to support it though, hybrid intake, v-power plugs and ngk wires I run premium gas in it which helps a little as well.

The differences I notice right away was the sound of the car and the throttle response was quicker. The mpg gain I noticed was 3 better than the diamond coil pack from a 95 legacy with a 5 speed, And from what I hear is the diamond coil pack was a slight upgrade from the denso that comes on the automatic trans equipped legacy...

There you have it thanks zues...I bought a weaponR dragon short ram intake and cut about a 1/4 inch off the airbox end of the tube then had to make an adapter to bolt it to the airbox with a velocity stack. That was all she wrote.

Forgot about that, yea I removed it and that piece that goes over the abs block. And to be clear I also didn't have to cut the 1/4 inch off or add the velocity stack..the piece I cut off was for a little bit better of a fitment. The tube sat about the 1/4 inch offset of the throttlebody, I had a velocity stack sitting around that I used on the spoon whale penis I had on my integra. I don't even know if its playing a part with my intake but its cool looking when I take the air filter out.

i've had it out, but im getting a bit sketched out about the voltage spike now

I'd like to remove it on my first gen but the voltage spike thing does have me worried. Granted I need to research it further. However it is a super popular mod for first gen turbo leggys and I haven't come across any negative feedback regarding removal on bbs. But maybe it is buried there somewhere.

What is this voltage spike you guys are talking about? I understand it has to do with the maf sensor reading the air passing it? Would it mean too much or too little air, would it also deal with how the tranny shifts? I have noticed when I'm going into passing gear the Rpms drop sick then it grabs hard into gear. Any relevance to a voltage spike or drop?

Hello all,

Now I know the forums say that the MSD coil pack is the way to go, but I have access to my buddy's stock STi coil pack (from a 2012). Now the reason for my concern is this, the numbering on the coil pack does not correspond with mine. That being said, does the ecu control the coil packs fire rate or is that in the coil pack itself where that is regulated? I tried to find out on my own through various means and the only answer I've come up with so far is, "Try it. See if it works". I'm just a little apprehensive with 'just trying it' with my DD. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You want a 1997 Dodge Neon MSD coil,that is what works on our second generations

http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25872&start=90

What is this voltage spike you guys are talking about? I understand it has to do with the maf sensor reading the air passing it? Would it mean too much or too little air, would it also deal with how the tranny shifts? I have noticed when I'm going into passing gear the Rpms drop sick then it grabs hard into gear. Any relevance to a voltage spike or drop?

Archived