LegacyGT.com

Heart attack of the day

So today I parked my car on the street right in front of work and about 5 hours later I noticed what looked like a puddle under it. I pulled out my flashlight to take a look and what do you know? Oil. Lots of clean oil. Oil like I just had put in 2 days ago. I reach up and feel around and there's a little bit of oil on the outside of my filter and a good amount on the plastic shroud under the car but no drips. I look at the engine bay from every angle I could without lifting the car up and can't see anything wet. Nothing around the turbo, a small bit on the downpipe towards the same shroud that had a small amount on it. The puddle is directly under the oil filter area but there are several small drops around the main puddle that don't match up to anything under the car that might be leaking. I start the car and let it warm up, no leaks. Give it some gas, no leaks. So I pull it forward about 5 feet and shut down. Look under the car: drop of oil on the street in the same location as the main puddle. No oil coming down from the car that I can see. So me being the genius that I am, having spent an hour of my work day looking for this oil leak decide to loom at the pavement around the car... 5-6 feet in front of it another drop of fresh oil. 5-6 feet in front of that no where near my car? Drop of oil. Seems some jackals decided to top off his oils and dumped half of it down his compartment and had it dribbling down when he drove off. So I drive it home and of course I am not positive e that this is what happened so I am paranoid, and I just don't feel like the car is driving right so I pull over in the rain and check it out. All good. So I give it some boost and everything seems nice and smooth but on the wet pavement the tires broke loose a little and I felt a little buck so I pull it over again and check it out all clear. Now that I have it parked I am waiting for it to cool down so I can take another look. I swear this forum and all the horror stories I never should have read keep me up at night... to the point there is nothing wrong with my car at 78k miles and I still want a BNR 16g just for piece of mind.

At any point in that whole story, DID YOU EVER CHECK THE DIP STICK ? To see how much oil was in the engine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sounds like your car is about to blow up.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

At any point in that whole story, DID YOU EVER CHECK THE DIP STICK ? To see how much oil was in the engine.

I was wondering the same thing! As that would have been the first thing I would have done!

Yes I checked it when freaking out the first time I saw the puddle, another time after running the car and pulling forward, another time before leaving work, another time at the gas station on the way home and once again when I got home... no problems.

OK, so you have a clue.

These things have been known to have oil leaking from the o-ring at the oil cooler to block.

So your all set with your car, correct ? All is good ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah seems that way, still paranoid so I check the oil every time I shut down after a drive and search under the car for an dribbles or drops while its running and before I start again. It is very unlikely the puddle was from my car, it was A LOT of oil and my levels are good.

Had a good scare sort of like that. It was raining out, pulled out of a parking lot and gave her hell. Hit some sort of fuel cut, all dash lights went on, engine completely died. Pulled over on a slight incline and noticed an oily sheen on the water running under my car. Engine wouldn't start, car smelled like fuel. Thought for sure I blew something up.

All that happend was a fuel line popped off. Scared the hell out of me. I was so happy when all ended up being okay...

Torque T-Bolt to 5ft.lbs. & coupler won't pop off, leak or crush charge pipes. Running FMIC for almost 50k, at 18.5 psi, pipes been off for maintenance a few times. Never leak or popped off. I also use silicon spray lube, make pipes go to gather & aline easier.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Archived