LegacyGT.com

993 vs Legacy GT

LegacyTwin

Guest clawdnb
i had a intersting run with a boxterS on the freeway here in upstateNY....end result was when he finally did punch it after me pacing him and generally being a pain in his ass, he floors it and i see black smoke puff out the exhaust so i nail it and was able to pass him top of 4th...iono if he was really going for it, but i checked the stock times and it makes sense

he probably was trying not to get embarrassed by a car that was so much cheaper, but way to be a pain in his ass and get him to think he was cool enough to give it a shot! I know Porsches are nice but I would NEVER buy a Boxter because the performance is really dissapointing considering the price tag... but when (haha) I have the money I'm all about the Turbo or GT2

he probably was trying not to get embarrassed by a car that was so much cheaper, but way to be a pain in his ass and get him to think he was cool enough to give it a shot! I know Porsches are nice but I would NEVER buy a Boxter because the performance is really dissapointing considering the price tag... but when (haha) I have the money I'm all about the Turbo or GT2

Its a Boxster not a Boxter... Its actually one of the best handling Porsches in existance due to its mid engine layout. That said I assure you the Turbo blows everything else away in comparison. I would say its left kidney and right testicle giving good. :)

The Boxster corners better than a roller coaster at 6 Flags...

I have had the privilege to be a passenger in my buddy's car a few times and it is an absolute hoot to pound through corners.

I'd have to drop thousands into my wagon to get it to remotely handle like that, but then again, it's a wagon after all...

a newer boxster can out handle a lgt pretty easily.

I would hope so. That extra $15 or $20 thousand dollars certianly isn't making it drive faster. I sure hope that it has advanatages in other areas.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Having seen how fast the Boxsters can blast through some of the corners at autox's, I have a newfound respect for those cars. They really seem to handle nicely. If I was in the market for something like an S2k, I may consider a used one to be a bargain.

I'd still take an M Coupe over that though. ;)

slightly less power, less weight, lower CG, mid flat engine, (the benefits of the boxer engine that subie lovers can't deny, and then some more for it being inside the wheelbase...) Rear-wheel drive, and probably screwed together better. Certainly much more chassis development, and very likely better materials, inside and out.

now, if they had just not done the rear quarter windows like they did... that is becoming my only complaint about the whole car. They should have become shorter versions of the 911's rear quarter windows, like the DB9/Vanquish/AMV8 resemblance. I don't like the upturn line of the Cayman's quarter windows, just my humble opinion that it makes the car look shorter and taller, which it doesn't need.... anyway, back to the technical bits...

Aside from a McLaren F1, and Ferrari F430 (or just ferraris period.), and a few other rare noteables, the Boxster/Cayman might be one of the sweetest chassis recently extant, certainly for it's price point. I hope there will be some smokin deals on used ones here in about 10-20 years, kinda like a 944 Turbo today, and perhaps better.

If there is anything I have learned from riding a 390lb 45hp sporty motorcycle, is that power isn't everything, if you can carry corner speed. It is more fun to ride a slower bike fast, than a faster bike slow.

Keep an eye on the Cayman. A Boxster with a 200% stiffer chassis, marginal weight difference, and a 3.4 liter flat 6... It is gonna be a force to be reckoned with, especially if people start adding power.

You just know that RUF, Gemballa, 9FF, Tech Art, and a whole host of other Porsche tuners are gonna drop everything from the 3.6TT to the upcoming 997 GT3's 400hp naturally aspirated mill into that mid engined coupe, and then power isn't going to be an excuse, either. The chassis is capable (but marketing an OEM car with that much power would assasinate the 911's sales.) and I have a feeling it will show up as some amazing aftermarket cars.

If I remember right, the Cayman S test car lapped the nurburgring significantly faster than a 997 Carrera (maybe even a Carrera S, I forget...) and that is just for now... Porsche is talking Cayman Club Sport, as well.

Chassis dynamics can do wonders in getting every one of the available horses to the pavement, even if there are slightly fewer horses, numerically. Heck, look at the improvements that people are getting out of pepping up the handling of the Legacy... Imagine that on a much more focused platform...

Archived