LegacyGT.com

5 Degrees of Knock Correction Advance Am I F***ed?

RallyMachine

Okay, looked at your logs.

1) Doubtful you'd get knock from interference. Also, when was the last time you reset the ECU? All that learned knock is gone, which makes me think you reset it somewhat recently?

2) Most people like their AF trims to be between +/- 5%. Yours are about 6, which isn't too bad. Again, I don't like what your tuner did with essentially disabling Trim D, but whatever... a handful of people have done that before and have their reasons. I'm firmly againstit. Your MAF scaling might be off... or perhaps you have a leak of some sort, I'm not sure.

3) You are spooling and boosting like CRAP. And your logs show why: your WGDC is extremely low at the beginning and your TD is maxing out.

Whether this is by design (your tuner) or because you have a leak of some sort, I have no idea, but you are nowhere near achieving your boost targets.

Also, I'm looking at your targets and they seem pretty unrealistic to me personally. At a glance, you're calling for 16.2 PSI at 6KRPM... you are NOT going to squeeze that out of a VF40, certainly not in 3rd, and even if you could muster up the exhaust to do that in 5th, your turbo would be spinning so fast that it'd turn into a flamethrower.

edit: Ah, yes, you have a VF52, just reviewed the thread. Makes more sense now. Still, you are missing your boost targets by quite a bit. You may have a boost leak, which is killing your spool, and causing you to miss your targets.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Invar, glad to have my my logging issue resolved!

I reset it last week but I'm not sure why the knock correction would go back to zero? I drove the car pretty hard today and figured it would have reestablished the correction if it was still knocking.

Yeah I had a sneaking suspicion that my spool was screwed up... I've heard it's rare for VF52's but could this turbo be on its way out? I've been burning quite a bit of oil and can't figure out where it's going. Thought it might be a ringland but the car still pulls good. Maybe the turbo seals are crapping out? I guess a boost leak would be more likely, but I'm not sure where to start to look...

Thanks again for your help!

Looks okay. Just keep an eye on those fuel trims. I like to see within -/+ 5% but trims do move around some just after a reset.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

So after I finally got my car back from the shop (transmission work) and did a pull to see if tightening down the i/c, turbo bolts, etc. did any good.

If I'm interpreting this right, it looks like the car leaned out a bit compared to the slightly rich LV I pulled before. I did notice that the inlet clamp on the turbo was slightly loose...could this be a possible cause? Also, is positive A/F learning better than negative (just based on the red color of negative learning)?

Thanks again guys!

2030305969_LearningView_SS_4-12-201372351PM.jpg.4bdd2328d444b8bd495706fbb4772235.jpg

You want to see small values, like under 5%. For safety, the system is usually biased slightly rich, meaning you'll see small negative trims to hit stoich.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

You want to see small values, like under 5%. For safety, the system is usually biased slightly rich, meaning you'll see small negative trims to hit stoich.

Ok so as long as I'm not knocking and A/F learning is within 5% I should be alright?

That is considered a good sign. I also like to see logs to check for FBKC, which isn't shown in learned tables.

• 4 months later...

RallyMachine did you ever find the sourse of your knock or was it just a tuning issue?

I am having a knock issue and cant seem to tune it all the way out without really tuning the car down. I'm on the vf40 with sti UP, cobb catted DP, AVO turbo inlet, and AVO TMIC.

I believe I too may have an alternator issue. When my car idles down a lot of the time it dims the lights quite a bit. Sometimes it will drop idle low enough to stumble a bit and then the rpms jump up for just a second. Im going to test my alternator tonight with a multi tool.

Archived