LegacyGT.com

Fuel economy

I did this last week. I logged 98 miles after reaching the empty line. When it ran out of gas, I put one gallon in it and drove it straight to the gas station. At the pump, it took 14.8 gallons.

That adds up to me.... It's a 15.9 gallon tank (actually 60 liters = 15.85), you ran out, added one gallon, then filled up with 14.8.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's so strange.... I've never gotten more than 15 gallons into the tank after running out of gas. Hump in the tank? Messed up sending unit? Causing some left over gas that couldn't be used? It's not like I ran out of gas once or twice. It was almost a monthly occurace with my blue car and it happened a couple of times with my red one.

So I did what everyone said, run tank more. I had 205~ miles and it marked just under 1/4 tank. Had to drive for a bit and did a mix of highway and city. Pulled off just shy of 340 on the tank. Had to put in just about 13.90 gallons. So I'm thinking it is like 360 full tank?

Based in this I'm guessing 280 for daily use?

• 9 months later...

Hate to bring up an old thread...But, its better than starting a new one I suppose.

Ive been tracking my new to me 95 LSi 2.2 for the last 1000 miles. Im averaging 17.2mpg

The engine runs great, I hooked it up to a HC sniffer tester, and Im putting out 30-40PPM HC. No where near rich. Timing belt is new, plugs and wires are all new NGK, fuel filter is new, air filter is new, I keep my foot out of it. And according to my scanner, the o2 sensor is switching just fine, it doesnt react slow. No vacuum leaks, and no manifold leaks.

Any suggestions?

I've come close to running out of gas. When I filled up it took 15.5 gallons.

That's so strange.... I've never gotten more than 15 gallons into the tank after running out of gas. Hump in the tank? Messed up sending unit? Causing some left over gas that couldn't be used? It's not like I ran out of gas once or twice. It was almost a monthly occurace with my blue car and it happened a couple of times with my red one.

Hate to bring up an old thread...But, its better than starting a new one I suppose.

Ive been tracking my new to me 95 LSi 2.2 for the last 1000 miles. Im averaging 17.2mpg

The engine runs great, I hooked it up to a HC sniffer tester, and Im putting out 30-40PPM HC. No where near rich. Timing belt is new, plugs and wires are all new NGK, fuel filter is new, air filter is new, I keep my foot out of it. And according to my scanner, the o2 sensor is switching just fine, it doesn't react slow. No vacuum leaks, and no manifold leaks.

Any suggestions?

That's pretty low for a 2.2, but other factors might be type of driving (short vs. long trips), also if your part of the country formulates winter gasoline different that warm weather, the winter formulation will yield poorer gas mileage.

My Legacy is running a 2.2, and I was averaging 23- 24 MPG over the winter (mostly my long commute to work). I had one tank at 21.6, that had some shorter trips.

One modification I did that seems to have given me 1- 2 MPG more is the MSD coil upgrade (spark is at 36K volts vs. 24K).

Sounds you've checked into all the obvious stuff like tire pressure, drive like an egg is under the gas pedal, etc...

That's pretty low for a 2.2, but other factors might be type of driving (short vs. long trips), also if your part of the country formulates winter gasoline different that warm weather, the winter formulation will yield poorer gas mileage.

My Legacy is running a 2.2, and I was averaging 23- 24 MPG over the winter (mostly my long commute to work). I had one tank at 21.6, that had some shorter trips.

One modification I did that seems to have given me 1- 2 MPG more is the MSD coil upgrade (spark is at 36K volts vs. 24K).

Sounds you've checked into all the obvious stuff like tire pressure, drive like an egg is under the gas pedal, etc...

Middle Tennesse, suburbs of Nashville... I do mixed driving and am not ever hard on it. :spin: Its too slow, flooring it only wastes more fuel and doesnt get me there any quicker...

I think Ill hook a vac gauge up to it when I get home...

my 2.2 FWD gets about 26 on average. when i drove it across the country, i got 29-31 the whole trip. my 2.5 gets about 22 in the city and 25ish on long trips. 18 when my son drives it.

have you checked the coil to see if it is still in spec?

Archived