LegacyGT.com

Fuel economy

Finally found those last 3 gallons. Once my gauge got to the empty line, I logged an additional 98 miles. 49 of those came after the low fuel light came on. Needless to say, I'm very pleased, which brings me to my next quest, 500 miles per tank! I did a search but couldn't find anything. Anybody here a member of that exclusive club?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha you all are lucky. Mostly city driving, and mine chews gas. I'm lucky to get 22 mpg. Plugs, wires, air and fuel filter, as we'll as good tire pressure. Car is empty other than a backpack. Seems like you all are saying sea foam the engine and company quite intensely.

I only run shell, and the last few tanks have been higher octane. (Their top level). Mostly city driving, when i hit highway i normally do 70 mph and pull almost 100 to a quarter tank mark. Suggestions?

I got much worse mileage in my 98 LGT automatic than my 96L 2.2/5mt. Just the way they are, the lgt is much heavier with wider tires. The automatic and 2.5 are less efficient.

Same here. I think the best I ever saw was 27 mpg. Never even got close to 30 mpg lol

I think part of my problem was trying to keep it below 70 MPH on the highway. If I could keep it between 60 and 70 I probably would have seen closer to 27 MPG. But I doubt it could ever muster up anything more. My 96 LGT 4EAT could get around 23/24 around town if I never more than feathered the gas. I think part of that is that it only weight 3000 lbs wet. My 98 weight just over 3200 lbs wet. Plus, it was in MUCH better mechanic difference. And there's that whole 2,800 RPM peak torque thing as well. BUT, it ran on premium fuel.

Keep my Honda at 70 or so and it get's 30/31 MPG easily. Traveling between 80 and 85, I won't see anything less than 25. It can run on regular fuel perfectly fine, but I put premium in because that is actually quite a significant difference in power.

Oh..yeah that's pretty bad.

I haven't been clocking my mpg's lately, last I checked it was around 24 mpg mixed driving. I have only been putting $25-30 a week in the tank.. but my daily drive is 32 miles per day to and from the jobby job though. Half a tank a week is all I been using lately.

Wtf...I am only gonna get like 30 miles from 3/4-1/2 mark. Seriously are they this bad on mileage, and is city mileage this crappy

2nd gen gas gauges are really wonky, you can't use that as any exact measurement of how much gas is actually left. The only good way to get a calculation is to fill up using the same pump as before, and don't top it off. When the pump clicks, you're done. If you don't keep it consistent, the figures mean nothing.

Hmmmm are you sure your sending units are working properly and not misleading you as to how much fuel is actually in the tank at any given time?

^my sending unit or guage is bad and has been since I bought the car, that's about how mine reads also...it shows a full tank when i fill up but the needle moves really quick. That's why I go by mileage.

I was looking in to swapping the guage out but the cluster is a bi*** to remove.

It is if you're talking about a 13/14 gallons or so. Not the full 16 gallons of the tank.

That's what's weird, ill drive mine until damn near bone sry empty, and I have never had to do more than 12 gallons. Ill have to look into those sending units and see what's up. Any tricks to testing them?

As well, I have "vehical" and it's telling me I get around 22 mpg

Well it's not bone dry empty if you only put in 12gal. The gas gauge on these will go well below the empty line, way down onto the E and actually sit on the peg. THEN you know it's getting low..

im starting to wonder if my 96 GT is supposed to get premium fuel instead of 87oct. its pinging sometimes, especially when its warm outside. i didnt see anything in the owners manual, but i may have missed it.

also, both my 2nd gens have weird fuel gauges. sometimes it will drop to half tank after 90 miles, then pop back up between 1/4 and 1/2. then it will drop down, and settle around 1/2 tank at about 160 miles or so. i stopped even looking at or caring about the level until its under 1/4 tank. when the light goes on its about 12 to 12.5 gal to fill, so thats when i fill them. usually about 320 miles in the wagon, 340 in the GT at that point. the GT will be about 13 gal to fill at the low light tho.

That's what's weird, ill drive mine until damn near bone sry empty, and I have never had to do more than 12 gallons. Ill have to look into those sending units and see what's up. Any tricks to testing them?

As well, I have "vehical" and it's telling me I get around 22 mpg

Yep, I've literally run my 96 LGT out of gas before, and then filled it up afterwords. You know your getting low when you start getting fuel starvation when taking off from stops while taking a left turn. I've never come close to putting in 16 gallons with the filler neck filled to the top. I'm not sure why they are rated at 16 gallons when they are really 15.

im starting to wonder if my 96 GT is supposed to get premium fuel instead of 87oct. its pinging sometimes, especially when its warm outside. i didnt see anything in the owners manual, but i may have missed it.

also, both my 2nd gens have weird fuel gauges. sometimes it will drop to half tank after 90 miles, then pop back up between 1/4 and 1/2. then it will drop down, and settle around 1/2 tank at about 160 miles or so. i stopped even looking at or caring about the level until its under 1/4 tank. when the light goes on its about 12 to 12.5 gal to fill, so thats when i fill them. usually about 320 miles in the wagon, 340 in the GT at that point. the GT will be about 13 gal to fill at the low light tho.

YES, you must put premium fuel in that car! It says it in the manual and the inside of the fuel door.

Sending units are all old and suck. They are never exactly right unless both are actually working properly and you look at the gauge after the car has sat for a while.

13 to 13.5 gallons from the low light is exactly right.

Well it's not bone dry empty if you only put in 12gal. The gas gauge on these will go well below the empty line, way down onto the E and actually sit on the peg. THEN you know it's getting low..

I did this last week. I logged 98 miles after reaching the empty line. When it ran out of gas, I put one gallon in it and drove it straight to the gas station. At the pump, it took 14.8 gallons.

Archived