LegacyGT.com

Oil light came on after oil & filter change?

Gents,

This is not my first oil change on this car although this is the first time the oil light came on after the oil & filter change. I checked the manual for anything abnormal, from Subaru's perspective, and found nothing abnormal from any perspecive. So I am asking you fellas if you have experienced this and is this a CEL that the dealership will have to clear to get the light to go out. Before anyone asks, I know at least a couple that would and good on them for thinking that way, the oil level is at the correct place on the dipstick both before and after the light came on which is quite puzzling. My car, Luc, is a 2011 Legacy 3.6R.

Any help anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.

Outlaw57

You are SURE that the oil is at the full line when the car is on level ground?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

When doing oil changes and you put the filter back on empty sometimes it causes the oil light to come on as the air does not read the same as the oil the sending unit is expecting. If you changed the oil and filled it back up to the specified amount, then the light came on that could be the cause.

I typically fill the filter with fresh oil before spinning it on so this doesnt happen. I started doing that after what you describe happened after a DIY oil change. May not be the solution but something to think about.

When doing oil changes and you put the filter back on empty sometimes it causes the oil light to come on as the air does not read the same as the oil the sending unit is expecting. If you changed the oil and filled it back up to the specified amount, then the light came on that could be the cause.

I typically fill the filter with fresh oil before spinning it on so this doesnt happen. I started doing that after what you describe happened after a DIY oil change. May not be the solution but something to think about.

I assumed he meant came on and stayed on. Surely it will come on briefly after a fresh filter is installed.

BAC5.2, orndog & GEE OTTO thank you for your repies and insight to this issue.

Yes the oil is at the full mark when measured on level ground.

Yes I understand that the oil light and check engine lights are different. Yes I did and do all my fluid changes myself. Pulling the filter, understanding the methodology I use in doing these changes will not idenitfy any shortcomings at that specific point in my limited opinion.

I have been filling oil filters prior to putting them on since the early seventies so that point has been covered off for sure.

The odd thing with the light was the timing of it's appearance, which was the next morning after I had ran the engine and checked things over with no issues post the oil and filter change. That is the part that puzzles me. I called the dealership to pose the query to them and they replied that there must be something stuck on the sensor and they would replace it under warranty. The next day after the engine was cycled on and off twice, while running around getting a few errands done, it went off and has stayed off.

This is the seventh filter on the engine to date, 26000kms, and I have never seen the light come on before even briefly, which adds further mystery to the situation.

All is good and I will chalk this up to experience and maybe one of those strange quirky deals in life and not worry about it. I keep a very keen eye on all fluids as I am somewhat of a persnicity type when it comes to details, comes from being an engineer I suppose.

Thanks again fellas for your appreciated input.

Outlaw 57

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old post, but wanted to throw in my .02 for anyone searching in the future.

I have a 2010 Legacy Premium and have done many oil changes on it. This last oil change, the oil light came on when I started it afterwards. I had checked the oil multiple times and put 4.5qts in, no oil on the ground, so there was no reason for the light.

The one thing I did different was I turned the ignition on in the middle of the oil change. I was installing fog lights while letting the oil drain. I plugged in a fog light, turned on the ignition to test it, and shut it off. It must have read no oil in the engine and that's what tripped the light.

Apparently its a rare but common issue with 2010's. So lesson learned, don't turn the ignition on in the middle of an oil change.

The one thing I did different was I turned the ignition on in the middle of the oil change. I was installing fog lights while letting the oil drain. I plugged in a fog light, turned on the ignition to test it, and shut it off. It must have read no oil in the engine and that's what tripped the light.

Apparently its a rare but common issue with 2010's. So lesson learned, don't turn the ignition on in the middle of an oil change.

I did the same thing my 1st oil change, I turned the ignition on to reset the trip odometer while I was waiting for the oil to drain. Once the oil light comes on, it also take a couple miles for to go out which is a little unnerving.

I did the same thing my 1st oil change, I turned the ignition on to reset the trip odometer while I was waiting for the oil to drain. Once the oil light comes on, it also take a couple miles for to go out which is a little unnerving.

I saw on some posts that it took a couple miles for it to reset, so I took it out for a short test drive but it didn't turn out the light. I went ahead and did the fuse trick which turned the light off.

The PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) fuse needs to be moved back to the original position with a certain ignition procedure to clear the light. Took only 2-3 minutes tops.

1. With the ignition off, open the under hood fuse panel.

2. Locate the PDI fuse in the back right corner (Red fuse with a bit of paint on top, circled below)

3. Locate the fuse slot next to it (Also identifiable with paint markings, marked with red arrow below)

4. Install said fuse into said slot

5. Turn the ignition on, but do not start the engine, wait for a few seconds until most of the lights go out. The oil light should be out.

6. Turn the ignition off, move the fuse back, and close everything up. Problem solved.

LTg-_6atz7Zq0rOXxqHEu89BJ59cG_KnDnmQyokz2HRnsUlWb8T14FbtBVibou1KHWlqvUlrLYxGGI1_4m3ucbxsd72G0BB3Y3MUT2kKK1GPKVNtvh6Q_pgjTYkQbeB-jVJp1vLLj16uNKDS39XJzvVpXxfgLF9Z-Wj-r7tD855VO7-oJx-kTgxCyAnLn8hFsMzXTl2P3U7gtAZjSdYUyCqoO1dRTwEqR2Gjou0loBh4eDHAVi80_1WcH31pCilyTyERpgrVBFfiDRyUZNhkujI-YdRFAfLjyRecW3syr4UW_BXMmnmgn3eJpy-TkYniQ4sWBKltAFdJSsz7kmb9i_ow0gDkDXDZ4-ZokJmp7FKqdHt4eXjFS9akXHlh0QNIikmbbryWN6RF6GnjeYoUJd9FI_2f4iRFF3wbyyYYu8wQ5peRxbzFW1jqiSTTfp6DurY_g0WH_gNe5GjEhWlt_zS5LxBH96F_1B5oMgTMG5aABGtaTGfOCG4HxCsYdySIcSyZYWSl2O-_Fx6iBvj-73F_Y2utBUxm-3DqmeewDCB2bBLEvtKqY5fS9G5v4ur4oIFFYJWVP6OmRf_eKH6Olkra-BaU2YtJWCJquZAAfgjHHQMl3BEQ=w1328-h747-no

O9i-FccpWKdsX8fN-Q-utDy6NZt23jz6XEklP77f5mXWWHN9E_6-PE98kxcgbmjXuydNJ5IoZSlkR6h3xg59ImGVLY1uTHzS02MfmU36gDCt4a2-ZVkY5Og-j9gH5CdiiMCZaON03okvFQLFHOZFYwhL1u7TS6jU50WBLT6j1jlaFjJIUctTTHWJ-QHra4aCFYbztUwyYD3ZzM5PA98W47LTsgpBRyh3cDiNdtLCLNkV3_AjsTy4ZPwaBD3ymzgosXsdHwK9DUVFYz37bOgnI39Rh-1wqhtY4u6Fheju7hDY1G-X1V0GqPWrO15Yup4U04xO00qhH9H6SSJXF4GunKDRG8zRcmndn0I6tFBVZNn3nCAH8X3jw39S1xt8zd_QUXCo54350UrGD3hfWgQKtO6aHwTzJeeYpyu6-QPJuGnfJ5zHoLHrtdysyPHJv0NJblSH8n7Z7GSFqrKipZSGHUtNaYNo1nBByoxatasKni_m2wLsgIvE8H3TuvqA5tJ1q1soxSVIvWRmgC3kKulajCCgMGuoFt4YBnTeVmeat5_9nKb7qbFZND8CQfdw0LPf9axBfm7tbWMncQIedQC2OlsMZv4ejfvBosD8Atqv9cDtOZG_c5jm=w1328-h747-no

Archived