LegacyGT.com

2.5i and 2.5GT compaired IMO

I bought an 06 2.5i wagon new. Then about half a year ago, bought an 08 outback xt wagon. I loved my 06 2.5i since it was new, but guess who is going to be sold soon. The NA response is nice, it feels nice and light footed and around town, it is just as fun. Once I'm on the freeway though? If I want to pass someone in the 2.5i, downshifting still left plenty of RPM range. In the outback, I don't need to downshift. Oh yeah, and two lane onramps where the other side has some one mindlessly merging in their v6 camry/accord/blob car. I don't miss having to struggle to accelerate past them.

Going uphill from Sacramento to tahoe, climbing a mountain? I can stay in 5th gear and in the fast lane in the outback. In the 2.5i, I'l lbe in the slow lane in 4th. Coming downhill, the legacy is more fun since its lower, but that will change soon.

I won't get into interior differences since its not fair that the 2.5i is a special edition and the XT is a limited. I do love the dual climate control, seat warmers, heated side mirrors, and electro gauges though.

Neither of my cars have a spoiler. :D

I bought an 06 2.5i wagon new. Then about half a year ago, bought an 08 outback xt wagon. I loved my 06 2.5i since it was new, but guess who is going to be sold soon. The NA response is nice, it feels nice and light footed and around town, it is just as fun. Once I'm on the freeway though? If I want to pass someone in the 2.5i, downshifting still left plenty of RPM range. In the outback, I don't need to downshift. Oh yeah, and two lane onramps where the other side has some one mindlessly merging in their v6 camry/accord/blob car. I don't miss having to struggle to accelerate past them.

Going uphill from Sacramento to tahoe, climbing a mountain? I can stay in 5th gear and in the fast lane in the outback. In the 2.5i, I'l lbe in the slow lane in 4th. Coming downhill, the legacy is more fun since its lower, but that will change soon.

I won't get into interior differences since its not fair that the 2.5i is a special edition and the XT is a limited. I do love the dual climate control, seat warmers, heated side mirrors, and electro gauges though.

Neither of my cars have a spoiler. :D

Going up hill to Lake Tahoe was a little frustrating with my 2.5i compared to my 02 WRX until I learned to use the gears appropriately. Going through the kyburz canyon with the intermittent passing lanes, I never felt like I was slow and have been able to briskly pass the leading car who wasn't going slow per say but slower than I'd like to follow.

In the 2.5i though, you really can't count on the top gear you're in to pull you out and ahead of traffic while going up hill and there isn't a whole lot of extra passing power on tap when making a move but it gets it done.

I think the point of this discussion is to explain how the 2.5i isn't "slow" since it seems like that's the general consensus through some of the posts I've seen here on LGT.com. However, I hope my next car has a turbo or whatever new tech they have set up... Electric-turbo with direct injection?

Until 6 weeks ago I owned both an 06 GT and an 09 2.5i. Every time I got in my wife's 2.5i it was such an instant buzz-kill! It was nice the all of the controls were identical in both cars, but still, you cannot compare performance in your 2.5i to the GT.

6 weeks ago she opted for the Mazda CX-9 over the Legacy. No more 2 subaru family.

You are on crack if you continue to pedal your nonsense about your 2.5i performance. It is what it is, and it is NOT a GT.

Title of the thread is "IMO comparo"

IMO, having owned both, 104K for one and 61K for the other, the handling is not similar. OE tire size and width differ enough to make the handling different right off the bat.

IMO this is a thread to make those 2.5i owners feel better about their decision. IMO.

I've always though that my GF's '09 2.5i Limited felt a bit more nimble and lively than my '07 Spec B. Its certainly has a little more power down low(sub turbo spool) so you don't have to rev to make it get out of its own way. Her's is on Conti ExtremeContact DWS' and I have Pirelli P Zero Neros.

I have had many Subies through the years, but the 2005 GT wagon with the manual transmission is the most fun Qship I have ever owned.:):)
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Title of the thread is "IMO comparo"

IMO, having owned both, 104K for one and 61K for the other, the handling is not similar. OE tire size and width differ enough to make the handling different right off the bat.

IMO this is a thread to make those 2.5i owners feel better about their decision. IMO.

Your opinion about something those 2.5i owners take away from this tread is close but the first post actually states, "it might even make a few N/A owners appreciate our cars a bit more" I feel great about my decision and there was more to it than just picking 2.5i or 2.5GT.

You can get wider tires/rims easily on a 2.5i. I've had wider than OEM tires on my 99 LGT (no turbo) and it didn't change much, and since I didn't have a winter set the OEM seemed to be better in the snow anyway. No need to throw as much $$$ at the 2.5i

I just meant that really all subies are fun to drive (except that god awful tribeca) and people need to stop hating on 2.5i owners just because they don't fap to turbo spoolage. lol

a lot of performance enthusiasts here, sure. but hardly any real subaru enthusiasts... shame...

I've owned 3 N/A subarus. 2x '86 XT6's (loved the n/a H6 motor) but needed more room once married and then the '09 legacy 2.5i.

I also put 110K on my '92 Legacy SS and sold it for $1750 when I bought my legacy GT. It had 177K miles on it and I never should have sold it. Would have made a much better track car than my wagon.

I am on my 3rd motor, 3rd turbo and all the mods on my wagon. Still don't know of anything else I'd rather drive. :wub:

My wife is sick and tired of all that has gone in to my '06. Call me crazy, call me an enthusiast?? I don't care.

Ran in to my parents '78 Subaru 4x4 wagon, Atlantic Blue with the coolest plaid seats. It had 335,000 miles on the odometer when I saw it on a college campus. My parents sold it for $250 at 125,000 miles with a bad fuel pump to a friend of my older brother. I wanted that car.

Maybe that is why I love my RBP wagon so much???

Enjoy your N/A Legacies guys! I am a subaru guy and am looking for an old Justy for my daughter that will be driving someday down the road.

I have an 05 2.5i with the 4 speed. I live in the flat, farm field area of michigan so i don't really do mountain climbs but for merging on the highway or having some fun out on the roads i feel like the 2.5i is good. I really like playing around in 2nd gear. Flooring the car in second gear will definitely throw you back and take you to about 65, definitely what i use to power through turns or merging onto the highway in heavy traffic.

OP, I think we may have the same LGT in mind. There is only one or two available in all of CA at any given time.

I can agree with you partially about dumping it into third on the freeway. I do that too, but it just dies at the top end. And, that fuel cutoff at 6400 is nonsense.

I will agree on insurance and gas. Insurance is about $60 less than before, and I can use 87 versus 91 and get slightly better mileage.

Suspension-wise, if you know exactly what it will take and you don't do something twice...you are at $4000 with wheels, tires, 19mm bar, rear camber-adjustment. Oh, I almost forgot, there isn't a single "performance" strut available for this car.

Sorry, it's not you, I'm just jonesing for performance since I traded my pen-ultimate car in my avatar.

Cheers!

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

I have had many Subies through the years, but the 2005 GT wagon with the manual transmission is the most fun Qship I have ever owned.:):)

I bet it is. I test drove one in the summer of 05 and found it to be a blast. I wish that I had the money to buy one at the time. Acceleration was neck snapping and the styling awesome. I liked the fact that Subaru offered a wagon that wasn't two feet off the ground.

If I could find one with 30k miles, I would be very tempted to sell my 2010 and charge it to my credit card.

Archived