The Parenthood Thread

laff79

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So reading through this thread, I must have done something magical. My son, who is almost 8 months old, has slept through the night since 5 weeks old. Occasional wake ups, but nothing big. It is amazing to me how quickly time goes by when you have a tiny person to take care. Really makes you put things into perspective.

Do share your secret. Or it could be that he is just a sound sleeper and you're a lucky son of a bitch.

We have had him on a routine since almost birth. I was gone for two weeks when he was 5 weeks old and my wife just let him sleep through the night instead of waking him up to feed him, and all of a sudden he slept through the night from then on. We have never let him sleep in our room or our bed. He only gets his crib at night time, no naps...nothing except bedtime. We give him a bath every night, we have only missed it one or two nights since being home from the hospital, but this kid is in bed every night by 7:30 and sleeps until 5-6 am......

Ethan.jpg.52e2582fffc2bc37cd955ba0bd6b38e4.jpg

From about 1-week old on, D1 went down about 7:30 and slept-through until 6:30-7:00 the next morning. We would wake ourselves up at night and go check on her to make sure she was okay. D2, on the other hand, never slept all night, and her schedule was crazy, it never stabilized.

We often commented that if our second was our first, we would never have had a second. Ironically, history is repeating itself with D2 as her firstborn is just like her sleep-wise. She is continually apologizing to us for her sleep (or lack of) patterns.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

here's a better one.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff385/stfurtfm/2c7b7d8d-ccda-48c8-b1e0-fbe11d3f3ef3_zps5e4454e8.jpg

we're gonna let the sex be a surprise. with so few surprises left in life these days we're vowing to try to be patient for the next 7 months or so.. especially as this had to be done with medical experts.

yeah, but like quoted a few pages back, something like "for a boy, you just have to worry about 1 penis.. if it's a girl you gotta worry about all the other penises."

Made me laugh. :)

Well since they are girls and 19 years old she will probably be moving back home in 6 months. Girls seem to have a really hard time living with other girls... even BFFs.

hehe im hoping they succeed, really. but i know how those things go also. either way, she will have a room to come back to, or to visit when she feels like it.

Do share your secret. Or it could be that he is just a sound sleeper and you're a lucky son of a bitch.

Our daughter slept through the night at about 4-6 weeks, but by the "night" I mean 6-7 hours straight of sleep. We only have one child so I don't know if we just did things right, got lucky, or both.

all 3 of mine were sleeping for 6-7 hrs a night by that time as well, i accepted that i got very lucky in that respect. especially with twins, they seem to set each other off when there was something to cry about. and once we realized my son needed to eat twice as much as his sister, he started sleeping much better at night. i got the rare opportunity to be a stay at home dad for 4 years, so i was the one not sleeping, feeding constantly, and doing everything else for the most part. id not trade that for anything in the world. hell, i passed up a job touring with black sabbath as a carpenter to stay home with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Our little guy was doing 11-12 hours a night by 5-6 months. Our pediatrician wouldn't let him go longer than 3 hours between feedings till he was 4-6 weeks. He woulda went the whole night right out if the gate too! We had to wake him to eat. Which in turn changed his sleep habits a bit.

Around 4 months he was doing great. Going 5-8 hours. Then.... He started going the other way. Before we knew it, he was getting up every 2-3 hours again. By 5 or so months, we consulted with his doctor, and decided to let him cry it out. First night he cried for 3-4 hours. It was tough. Second night, about an hour. Third night 15 minutes. Fourth night, slept 10-11 hours. Glorious.

He still gets his nights where he'll scream for 10 minutes or so every now and then, but we'll let him settle himself back down. However, when he's sick, he does not sleep well!

Paige slept 12 hours straight the first day she came home. After that, pediatrician had us wake her up every 4 hours until she was about 8-12weeks old (it was a long time ago - I don't remember anymore). She was always a good sleeper after that. We were really really lucky.

Wow I just watched the most disturbing video (only got up to 1 1/2 minutes could bare to watch the rest) of a piece of shit father who was literally beating the shit out of his son in front of his other kids. That was just amazing to see how some people treat there kids. I'm just disgusted.

i stepped into a guys yard and yelled at him through the window when he was beating the shit out of his kid. the kid was like 9 or 10 and he was beating him like a bar fly. i told him to stop, he ran out of the house and took a swing at me. there was no fight tho, i dodged it and let him fall, then stepped on him and told him id come back and kill him in his sleep if i ever saw that again. unfortunately, all i did was make him be more quiet about it all. one of his neighbors came out and thanked me when i was leaving, said he had a bad temper and abused the kids. i told him he should call the cops instead of hiding. this was a neighborhood a few blocks from one of my houses in my younger days, i ended up on that street while walking to a girls house to visit. i did make a point to go down that street every so often after that.

i stepped into a guys yard and yelled at him through the window when he was beating the shit out of his kid. the kid was like 9 or 10 and he was beating him like a bar fly. i told him to stop, he ran out of the house and took a swing at me. there was no fight tho, i dodged it and let him fall, then stepped on him and told him id come back and kill him in his sleep if i ever saw that again. unfortunately, all i did was make him be more quiet about it all. one of his neighbors came out and thanked me when i was leaving, said he had a bad temper and abused the kids. i told him he should call the cops instead of hiding. this was a neighborhood a few blocks from one of my houses in my younger days, i ended up on that street while walking to a girls house to visit. i did make a point to go down that street every so often after that.

Careful with making death threats, if he wanted to be a dick, he could call the cops and have you arrested, though I doubt he would in this case because he would probably lose his kids to child protective services in a heartbeat, not to mention the attempted assualt on you; he could be arrested for that.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

Careful with making death threats, if he wanted to be a dick, he could call the cops and have you arrested, though I doubt he would in this case because he would probably lose his kids to child protective services in a heartbeat, not to mention the attempted assualt on you; he could be arrested for that.

It's hearsay. Plus, the cops would likely side with the non child abuser.