LegacyGT.com

The Parenthood Thread

laff79

I disagree. I've been married for almost 8 years. Not much has changed to be honest.

I think marriage changes things for some people, but not everyone.

Given the divorce rate of over 50% for first marriages, I'd be safe rather than sorry. I'm not saying it changes everyone, but it seems to enough.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators
I agree with jase. Getting married changed very little really, and we didn't even live together before that. Having kid(s) is sort of crazy, but as long as you're both honest going into it I don't think that has changed all that much either.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators

I think the high divorce rate is due to people lying to themselves and laziness more than just about anything else.

EDIT: not to minimize the issue nor people's struggles.

Edited by BarManBean

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Relationships not working out are often due to people overlooking traits or issues that later bite them in the ass.

I hate seeing marriages end for reasons that each party knew about at the inception of the relationship. The way I see it, is that you were on notice and decided to commit to that contract regardless.

Not saying that every relationship ends bc of pre-known issues, but a good chunk of them!

19 years in - all annoying traits acknowledged, we both agree, who else would put up with us?? I had a big 'ah hah' moment years ago - I'm half the problem. As annoying as the other may be, I am just as annoying. I have bad habits and annoying traits and where ever I go, they'll be with me. I am SO lucky to have cute boy. I've known him more than half my life and 6/25 will be 19 years. Just crazy!

Marriage only changes a relationship if you apply connotations to the "event". Getting married to my wife, however, was very organic. Our relationship was evolving to the point where getting married simply made sense. It wasn't a goal; it was just the next step in the direction we were both heading towards. And it helps that on most major things (house, money, children), we're usually in agreement.

Every time I think about it how we met, how our relationship formed (eventually), buying a house, getting married, and having a daughter... I'm always taken aback at how everything transpired. No step ever felt forced. Combined with how unlikely it is that the two of us are even together in the first place makes things even more interesting to contemplate.

Each of my parents are now on their third significant other...I've seen lots of messed up ways to treat others. Rather then let their bad relationship habits be repeated by me, I seeked out help through counseling to work being a better person, husband, friend, and parent. I think what KRB has some validity but one never knows just how long it takes to be in a solid relationship before having kids. One thing I know is that we'll never be perfect parents and my parenting job is partly to reduce the amount of counseling they'll need as adults. Meaning...I hope I didn't mess them up like I was ;-)

We have two beautiful daughters...16 & 11 that are honors students, love sports and music. The 16 year old also drives our old 4Runner which is a manual drive. Save the manual! They are pretty even keeled kids that don't get caught up in the overtly dramatized world of today.

A quick parenting example that came up last night...my oldest is on the high school swim team which is just forming for next falls season. The swimmers want to setup a swim team Facebook thingy...no biggie...except the kids are saying no parent access allowed. We've always operated that parents can do random checks of electronics, internet, facebook, etc...just to make sure everything is going smoothly. Nothing is being overused and their are no weird stalkers or anything. So, back to swimming...the swimmers want to state their independence from their parents from banning them this Facebook page which is a bit petty but understandable. The other swim parents are very controlling and overbearing. Our daughter first fought for us to have access, which made her out to be an outcast. We decided that it was more important to keep her in good standings with her friends by not friending or liking or whatever to give us access. But, asked that she come to us if things get awkward, or uncomfortable on this facebooky thingy. She thought that was a great idea and the team is creating their facebooky page. Anyways, I just wanted to share a small snip of our parenting of a teenager.

Cheers,

Mike

Happy Father's Day dads! We spoiled the dad rotten at our house today! Cedar planked salmon on the big green egg - I'm cooking. I got really lucky, a long, long time ago when I found this awesome guy. He is a fantastic father to our kid.

How did all the fathers spend their Fathers Day this weekend?

I had a bit of an extended fathers day. On Saturday, we spent half the day with my daughters moms family. We all did pottery painting. My daughter helped her grandpa paint a mug, she also helped me paint a mug, and she decorated a cereal bowl for her Lolo (Grandfather in Tagalog). We ended the day with dinner at Red Robin!

On Sunday, we took her to the pool and spent dinner time with my family grubbing on crabs, shrimp, and mussels! :D

mowed the lawn... wife made me lunch... wife, son and I went to walk around a state park for an hour or so.... went out to visit my dad's grave... went out for ice cream.... came home and cleaned the pool.... bottled home brew beer.... wife made me dinner....

exciting day.

:lol:

How did all the fathers spend their Fathers Day this weekend?

I took my girls up to Sacramento on Amtrak to visit the train museum and hang out in Old Town Sac. They had a great time.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Woke up at 10. Went to Dad's house at 11am. Went to fathers day car show which happens to be a block away from my dad's house. Pretty much all domestics. Saw a Ford GT that was having throttle plate issues. Still amazes me how those cars have so many issues, even more so engine issues when they use that engine in other vehicles that seem to be more reliable. Went back to Dad's house played wit hsome swords and fireworks. Then went to a friends house for a Father's day party at 6ish which was fun. Went home put the kids to bed, got a BJ, fell asleep soon afterwards.

My wife got up with the little one on Saturday and Sunday so daddy got to sleep in.

Sunday she went out and got McDonald's breakfast. Also scored a couple fathers day gifts--dewalt jig saw and a voucher to spend a day driving a NASCAR at charlotte motor speedway. I think she went a little overboard :lol:

Had some family in town and they all came over for some bbq. Always fun having a few beers with my old man :)

lunch at Carrabbas, changed the oil and steamed blue crabs that night. Good day with the wife and kids.

Had burgers and brats at my dads. Then my girl cooked steaks for my friend and I for dinner. And a pudding, peanut butter cream pie with nutter butter and chocolate crust.

Speaking of Carrabbas I took my mother to dinner for her birthday tonight and she picked Carrabbas.

I'm moving to a new place an looking into video baby monitors to keep an eye on my two year old and a soon to be fresh baby. Anybody ever use those four camera dvrs that get hardwired and have IP capability? Looking at that as an option rather than the wireless baby specific monitors that almost never work.