The Parenthood Thread

laff79

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It appears that the prom date will be available. I'm not sure if I should be glad... the aunt is suffering and I would like, for her and her families sake, for her to pass peacefully and painlessly. There will always be a little part of me that is glad she is still with us, so that her great nephew can take my daughter to prom. Is that horrible? What an awful night. Again.

Ohh a lessons learned to share for those planning on having a pinata at your child's birthday party... :)

When filling the pinata, DO NOT pack the pinata full with candy so that the candy can't bounce around. Only fill the pinata it about 1/2 way. If you pack it full so the the candy can't freely move around, then you will have broken candy by the time the pinata breaks enough for candy to fall out. Filling the pinata all the way also makes it a bit harder to break.

my nearly 10 yr old daughter came downstairs tonight and said that she felt like crying but that she had no reason to cry. She had a great day. Why am I so sad, she asked. A bit of cuddling settled her down and got her to bed.

Early puberty hormones, I hope.

Edited by KartRacerBoy

Am I the only father of a daughter who doesnt take the macho approach?

it just seems silly and cliche to me. Just my humble opinion

i have never really had to play the tough gun-wielding dad so far. the one time it ever even came up was pure coincidence. apparently i have a bit of a sinister presence when people meet me. they either find out im not really evil and ready to kill, or they decide its not worth the time to find out. im OK either way. its not something i put out on purpose, just how i am.

So when they start seeing a badboy we should just approve?

I really do not want to harm any young boys so I hope that situation never arises. I hope they have the same respect for us as I did for my parents. Trying to make that happen.

if you approach the whole deal honestly and openly, you can usually get to the point that he understands where you are coming from, that you will give him the chance to prove worthy of your daughter, and maybe meet somewhere in the middle with a mutual respect. i have the benefit of really crazy friends that will tell the new boyfriends all kinds of stories and stuff to make them think twice about doing something stupid. but i have been up front and honest with the BFs about what i expect. and im not really expecting that much. mutual trust, honesty and respect is pretty much it. my son, however, is their self proclaimed protector. the BFs have to deal with him as well. i try to keep him reined in to a point, but im ok with him being his sisters protector. hes pretty good at it.

I think just being a present and involved father is in itself an excellent birth control method.

this, exactly. youre not going to stop teens from doing anything sexual, but at least youll have a better chance at being involved in conversations, and have chances to help her make better decisions.

My daughter, nearly 10, is dreading a class at school on May 28 about puberty. My wife and I have already talked to her about it and given her books on the subject, including sex. Apparently her friends are grossed out about it, too, and are threatening to all be sick on that day. :lol:

http://imageshack.us/a/img585/7773/img20130521195134140.jpg

crappy cell phone pic of my daughter and son taking her first solo trip in my GT. sigh. she passed the driving test beautifully, but ill always worry. about her AND the GT.

oldest graduates tonight too. busy, busy.

apparently i have a bit of a sinister presence when people meet me. they either find out im not really evil and ready to kill, or they decide its not worth the time to find out. im OK either way. its not something i put out on purpose, just how i am.

http://cdn.rsvlts.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/internet-high-five.jpeg

I get that a lot too. I've been that way for years and didn't recognize it until my wife (then girlfriend) pointed out she was scared of me when we first met. I leverage it to my full advantage now. :D

• Moderators

Forgot about this until just now...

Due to car seat swapping and selling my wife's old car she ended up driving the OBXT last Friday. She said that when she put my son in the back seat, he immediately started calling for "DaDa" :wub:

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Thanks for making me laugh first thing... Much needed. And KRB, I only have one, so yup, that's her. It's going to be a long couple of months. I probably won't sell the Mac book, but she, on the other hand, may be up for a good price.

Wifey is about 5 months pregnant with our first. We just had one of those stupid gender reveal parties. It ended up being nice but completely uneccesary... I don't know, I've just never been one to draw attention to myself.

Anyway it looks like the first will be a girl!

In other parenthood news...

My daughter and I had a blast this weekend hanging out with my friends and other kids her age over the Memorial Day weekend. We all spent the weekend at a friends beach house with a number of other couples and their kids.

Since we were all in the same house and did the same activities, it was the first time I was really able to focus on seeing each of the parents personalities and how it's reflected in their kid both negative and positive.