LegacyGT.com

Robitrice Idea Thread

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i hate coopahs and why would i wanna follow in his footsteps lol

on a side note this is where my next step will be....going to have anywhere between 3-5K from my part out/sale of car...so with that money i plan on purchasing another vehicle. Probably have a budget of around 6-7K. It will be a cash payment as i am not dealing with car payments. Im looking for a fuel friendly, good cargo space, and as good of a condition car as i can get. I have been thinking about getting an Outback for those reasons plus the awd is a huge bonus for me....thoughts?

I approach everything from a DIY perspective, but isn't your loss amount already realized when the mechanical problem occurred? Whether you discount/sell/buy or fix/keep it seems that you increase risk with the sell/buy strategy without really saving anything. Presumably you'll need to discount the vehicle by $2-3k if you're doing an honorable 'full disclosure' sale. For not much more you could get a new short block, cooler, and reworked heads. And then you'd have a zero-time engine vs an used vehicle with time on it. Keeping it makes even more sense if you're thinking about an OB/OBXT. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for saving money and a house is a very good goal. I'm just not seeing why selling it now has any effect on the net loss of the transaction. Had you had a crystal ball and sold it the day before it blew that's a different story.

I understand your take, i do not have the means of DIY other than the basics. My goal right now is to purchase a house come summers end. I have a 10K in the bank to aid in that cause. I fix it with 6K out of pocket expenses that house fund is now 4K and sets me back a considerable amount of time and money. The money from the partout/sale used to get me a car with a hopeful life span of 2-3 years as well as keep my house fund from depleting. I have roughly 3-4k in quality parts just in performance parts alone that can be parted out not including the blown shortblock, driveline, interior ect. Selling the car as a whole at a discounted rate of 4-6K would probably end up being just as close to parting it out. SElling it outright with full disclosure is obviously easier but you have to find the right person to buy the whole deal. So i understand your point, I just cannot justify at this point in my life to fork over 5-6K and adversely affect my short term goals.

^ kind of what I was thinking back in post #12.

For my ej257, gasket set, it was less than $2100

Hey I had the machine shop do a lot of the diss-assembly and re-assembly work plus porting and the bill was only $1200 for everything they did.

Granted I did my engine on my terms and timing. How far are you from Bern Tuning ? or Nrw, may be for a few bucks he could help you out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Rob, I love that you're so focused on your goals and I won't argue with you there. That discipline and drive will serve you well in adulthood.

As Max said above, the $6k seems like a high number. You can order an EJ255 short block from Heuberger for $1,645 last I checked. Figure $1k for machine shop on the heads and $500 of misc parts and you'll be at $3k.

The DIY strategy is just as powerful of a savings tool as money in the bank. I can't even begin to calculate how much I've saved over the years by doing everything myself. If it's a space thing then there's not much you can do unless you can beg garage space from a buddy. If it's a skill thing, no time like now to dig in and learn. You sound like a sharp guy and I'm sure you can do it.

Lastly, would another option be to sell your aftermarket parts and use that to finance the rebuild? You'd be selling them anyway and going back to stock if you sold the vehicle, right?

You'll make the right choice, just throwing out ideas.

• Moderators

Devils advocate here. Let's say you sell the car, maintain your housing fund, and buy a beater with a 2-3 year life span. You then buy a house in the next year.

You're now estimating that 2 years into home ownership you'll need a new vehicle again, one that you can accurately budget for given that it's 3 years away.

I have no idea what your finances really look like, but just remember if you replace the LGT with a beater, you be looking at replacing that vehicle as well sooner rather than later.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Rob, I love that you're so focused on your goals and I won't argue with you there. That discipline and drive will serve you well in adulthood.

As Max said above, the $6k seems like a high number. You can order an EJ255 short block from Heuberger for $1,645 last I checked. Figure $1k for machine shop on the heads and $500 of misc parts and you'll be at $3k.

The DIY strategy is just as powerful of a savings tool as money in the bank. I can't even begin to calculate how much I've saved over the years by doing everything myself. If it's a space thing then there's not much you can do unless you can beg garage space from a buddy. If it's a skill thing, no time like now to dig in and learn. You sound like a sharp guy and I'm sure you can do it.

Lastly, would another option be to sell your aftermarket parts and use that to finance the rebuild? You'd be selling them anyway and going back to stock if you sold the vehicle, right?

You'll make the right choice, just throwing out ideas.

I completely agree with you, without a doubt. The cost could very well be on the higher end of things and i could probably get the job done for less. As mentioned before i currently live at home and have no garage, and working 7 days a week for 50-60 hours time is not of the essence. So unfortunately i have to budget for someone else to do the work. I do not have the time to wait or be out a car for a considerable amount of time due to my job and playing musical cars takes a toll on everyone involved. I just have to cut my ties and put this behind me

Devils advocate here. Let's say you sell the car, maintain your housing fund, and buy a beater with a 2-3 year life span. You then buy a house in the next year.

You're now estimating that 2 years into home ownership you'll need a new vehicle again, one that you can accurately budget for given that it's 3 years away.

I have no idea what your finances really look like, but just remember if you replace the LGT with a beater, you be looking at replacing that vehicle as well sooner rather than later.

I also am taking into account that i will have a better paying job within two years compared to what i have currently, frankly i cannot get paid any less than what i make now. I also considered this move and was close to doing it. However on my list of priorities a House and financial flexibility is more important to me. Everyone's point are legitimate and there are numerous ways to go about this. I wish i had expendable funds to do this car right and really make something out of it, unfortunately the time is not now and there will come a time for a new car

Just buy a big place and rent out rooms while you are young and single. 5 years from now you'll have 3 other schmucks paying your mortgage and you can buy sports cars.

thats sort of the plan, i want a two family house each unit 2 bed rooms so i can have a roommate and rent the other unit to basically live mortgage free.

Archived