LegacyGT.com

E-Brake Button

LegGTLT

Ok, so I DID search at first, but all I found was a mention of this as a problem and the only fix has been to keep your thumb on it while driving. The e-brake button started rattling on me yesterday and only occurs on slightly rough highway or side streets. Not a big deal, but is there a way to tighten that button? I really don't know if it can just be replaced or applied/attached better in the first place? Hmmm...
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Anyone knows how the e-brake HANDLE (the black portion) comes off? Or if it comes off at all?

Thanks!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I looked at it, looked at it some more, and looked at it some more - and ended up just taking a rubber mallet to the mating point between the black handle overlay and the metal frame underneath, and tried to pound on it a little (bad position, no leverage). I then tried putting a flat-head screwdriver between, and levering/pounding - again no luck.

That's why I'm askin'. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Add my name to the list for the rattling e-brake button. Like LegGTLT it only occurs on slightly rough roads. I have a feeling it is the spring and not the button, but I could be wrong. I haven't fixed it, but when it does rattle, I try and twist the buttom slightly with my fingers and the rattle stops until the next time I use the e-brake. For me, bringing it to the dealer to resolve the issue would just result in more problems. Just hope someone finds a solution that works and doesn't break anything.

-S

Coming from "the other side of the pond" I gotta ask why you guys are calling it an E brake ?

Would you really pull on it if there was an emergency ? Maybe an ejector seat would be better :lol:

In the UK you have to be able to use the HAND BRAKE to perform a hill start in order to pass the driving test, and there is no "hill assist" allowed.

Is there even a separate test here for manual or auto cars ?

PhilT - I'd love an ejector :D

e-brake/parking-brake/hand-brake - I think it just depends on the local "lingo." ;)

That would explain alot :lol:

HEY NOW PhilT!:lol: Awww, what am I saying... you're right, it actually DOES explain alot. Can I sign up for the Group Buy on the ejector seat TSi+WRX?:D Get that goin and I'm in!

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Hill assist? A friend tried to tell me that all Subarus have this, whereas I let off the brake with the clutch fully depressed and some kind of "hill assist" prevents me from rolling backwards. I told him not on my '05 LGT... And I was rolling backwards the very next time I got in the car...

Is this an older/different model Subaru thing?

Hill assist? A friend tried to tell me that all Subarus have this, whereas I let off the brake with the clutch fully depressed and some kind of "hill assist" prevents me from rolling backwards. I told him not on my '05 LGT... And I was rolling backwards the very next time I got in the car...

I think some models were fitted with it, not sure which ones though.

I find it's just easy enough to learn to use the handbrake properly though.

Earthworm,

As with PhilT, I'm not well-versed enough in Scooby model history to let you know which models were fitted with the Hill-Assist function, but yes, these were/are something that Scoobys were/are known for.

I totally agree, it's easy enough to learn to know how to use the e-/parking-/hand-brake properly to stay completely still on even the steepest incline at initial take-off. Unless I feel like a Shuttle astronaut, though, I usually am pretty good at balancing my clutch/gas inputs to not roll back at all during hilly take-offs. :)

• 3 months later...
My dealer replaced the handle/button.

The handle is now tighter(less movement) and the button spring is firm(no play). I no longer have this rattle. Just need to fix the one in the dash.

Good to hear. As you start using the e-brake more, keep up updated on whether the rattle reoccurs.

-S

• 3 weeks later...

I took my center console apart over the weekend and may have found the cause of the dreaded rattle. Basically, the e-brake is made up of two plates that are riveted together in a number of spots. There was one spot toward the bottom of the plates that had a hole where a rivet looks like it was missing from. That spot also looked to be where the rattle stemmed from, as that was where the two plates were not joined and had some wiggle room.

I think at some point, I'm going to put a bolt through the hole with a locking nut and maybe some rubber washers to dampen any vibration.

Hopefully that'll do it. Once I get it done, I'll report back.

Hill assist is not on all Subarus.. I checked as I was shopping on my WRX 3 years ago.

There is a finer e-brake adjustment screw near the actual handle itself, you have to take apart the entire console to get it, it's suppose to be the adjuster for the amount of clicks you get when you pull on the e-brake.

The other adjuster is on the rear brakes hubs. That's the "Major" one which keeps the spring and cable nice and tight (but becareful not to make it too tight to the point where the brake shoes are rubbing on the drum while you drive).

Most likely you just need to readjust the minor adjuster in the cabin of the car.

Keefe

I had the dealer replace my parking brake handle twice before the rattle finally went away. Now I need to tackle that dash rattle next...

ebrake is still doing fine for me.

The dash rattle has be quited via a round black sticky thing you put on the bottom of furniture. I wedged two of them between the winshield and corner of the dash.

I took my center console apart over the weekend and may have found the cause of the dreaded rattle. Basically, the e-brake is made up of two plates that are riveted together in a number of spots. There was one spot toward the bottom of the plates that had a hole where a rivet looks like it was missing from. That spot also looked to be where the rattle stemmed from, as that was where the two plates were not joined and had some wiggle room.

I think at some point, I'm going to put a bolt through the hole with a locking nut and maybe some rubber washers to dampen any vibration.

Hopefully that'll do it. Once I get it done, I'll report back.

Well, went to ace hardware and bought a bolt, 2 washers, 2 rubber washers, and a locking nut. Tightened everything and the e-brake handle is finally snug....no play from side to side.

Haven't driven it yet, but will know first thing tomorrow AM if the problem has been solved.

Archived