LegacyGT.com

Legacy's New Challenger - Mazda 6 AWD 276 HP 265-lb-ft

[url]http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=07383418[/url] [img]http://www.autoweek.com/weekart/2004/0719/mazda6main.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.autoweek.com/weekart/2004/0719/mazda6rear.jpg[/img] comments? :twisted:

Now there is something beyond a concept. :) Will be interesting to see how tought the platform is reliability-wise. Competition isn't a bad thing I'll say, the Leggy GT will have company soon enough. Makes you wonder what changes will be made if any in direct competition if this has indeed been given the green light. Those 18" wheels look right on there, just don't look like 18" wheels IMO. Altezza's are bad mKay. :P

Competition is good. Mazda has been lacking an upscale performance sedan since they don't have an upscale marque like Toyota, Nissan, and Honda do in Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura. I wonder if this is what they are going to offer in that space or if it is going to compete more with the WRX on a strictly performance level? I looked at the 2004 Mazda 6 when I was shopping for my latest vehicle and was underwhelmed. The WWD and interior styling turned me off for the most part. The photos of the prototype don't make we want to reconsider my choice. The shoulders appear too high (a complaint I had with the Audi A4 as well) and the nose seems unbalanced on many levels. Ah, well... it seems petty to critique a car before it is even released so I will stop there. :)

The question is, how do they know it's a twin-turbocharged, 276hp/265ft/lb of torque 2.3-litre turbo with 6-speed just from those spy shots? Anybody remember the "Legacy STi" rumours, with 350hp from a twin-turbo flat six - photos of a regular Legacy GT in testing being the actual base for this? Anyways - why dual turbo an inline four? Besides making a rumour article sound more interesting, that is.... :twisted: Cheers, Paul Hansen

I like the standaqrd model's face better as that prototype looks too imbamanced. I've never liked the taillights, but I do like the rest of the styling. I don't see it as an STI/Evo competitor, but a Legacy competitor. Offering it in a wagon would be smart as there aren't many fast wagons at relatively low prices (in fact I can't think of any but the Legacy and WRX which is more like a roomy 5-door hatch). Still, I'd always pick Subaru for the ease of maintenance, inherently stable and well-balanced chassis and I the fact that they've more than earned my trust. I see it as a good move for Mazda if they market it well and keep the price low. Otherwise it'll end up an obscure future cult-car like the original turbo Legacy or Mazda 323 GTX. Steve

Don't forget about Japans 276hp barrier. How much of Mazda does Ford own BTW? Seems like an alright car so far except for those tail lights. If anything Subaru will make an STi version of the Legacy or just bump up the hp if this is true. Competition is always better for the consumer.

[quote name='§h@dow Dr@gon']Don't forget about Japans 276hp barrier. How much of Mazda does Ford own BTW? Seems like an alright car so far except for those tail lights. If anything Subaru will make an STi version of the Legacy or just bump up the hp if this is true. Competition is always better for the consumer.[/quote] the 276 hp barrier has been removed recently...

This car has been in alot of speculation ever since the concept, and if it is made it would be nice. But u have to wonder how much experience does mazda have in making AWDs. Mazda has always been known for RWDs.

God, Roadrunner has been down for five days! It is nice to be back. Anyway, here is some more info from the Brisbane Motor Show... a bit dated. There are some good pics floating around but I tire of looking for them. This is the first I have heard of a twin-turbo 4. While I know Subaru did it, this possibility seems unlikely as compared to a twin-scroll single turbo. IMO [url]http://www.brisbanemotorshow.com.au/media/release21_01_No2.htm[/url]

Patience. Everything goes in waves. Remember the Impreza and Lancer? They are still going at it. Legacy STi here we come. I really hope it gets a turbo 3.0. An NA 3.7 would suit me too. :D

[quote name='crapy']http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=07383418 [img]http://www.autoweek.com/weekart/2004/0719/mazda6main.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.autoweek.com/weekart/2004/0719/mazda6rear.jpg[/img] comments? :twisted:[/quote] [quote name='apexjapan'] he question is, how do they know it's a twin-turbocharged, 276hp/265ft/lb of torque 2.3-litre turbo with 6-speed just from those spy shots? [/quote] First of all: the front looks weird, but it is camoflaged. the back looks too high, especially with the horizontal dorky tail lights. Gimmicky and will be dated soon. Shoulder line is too high. c-pillar is too boring. it looks like a camry. I don't like white on such big cars (anything bigger than a roadster) Mostly just bland. That re-enforces my first impression of the car, inside and out. I like the fact that they have a 5 door sedan version of the 6, but it may not get this treatment, and it still suffers from the same design traits. I Wish suby had a 5 door legacy sedan, but probably won't happen. Second: Powertrain. How they know, I have no idea. In reality Mazda's 2.3 is their biggest new I4. Seems awfully small displacement for any modern 6cyl. The probe GT/MX6 v6, and also the duratec motors were 2.5l, but were downscaled to 2.0 for the long-gone MX3. I don't think they produce a 6cyl that small anymore. Again, as Paul mentioned, why twin turbo an I4? Sequential? Why on earth would you do that? The FD3s RX7's sequential system was a rats nest nightmare of vacuum lines, and that was on an engine that could actually use sequential turbos. Likely it is a single turbo 2.3l I4, or some sort of turbo V6. Why even twin turbo a small-capacity 2.5-3.0L v6? If they do that, then I really want to see a Legacy STi with a robust H6 with twin turbos as well. 276hp/265lb-ft. isn't all that much higher than the Leg GT, which might get those levels with a re-flash and some minor updates. Paul's AVO stage 1 stuff has probably already reached that level on the 2.0GT Legacy. Any proposed STi would probably walk all over this Mazda. I'll bet that this car, the Ford Five Hundred, Lincoln and Mercury variants that are getting the forward biased AWD that jaguar X-type has. Plus a transverse engine setup will put a whole lot of the powertrain's weight high over the front wheels. Can we say understeer? It's competition, but not a Legacy beater, even in Legacy's current form. If suby is smart, in response to this, they'll either release a kick-arse 300hp+ STi, or up the horsepower of the GT (standard, or as a sport option) or both.

I'm highly interested in this car. I've sat in a few of the new Legacys and am just a *tad* short on room. I have plenty of room in the Mazda6 though, but am not impressed with the Ford Duratec V6 under the hood. THIS one I might be interested in, though. I'm 99% sure they meant a twin-[i]scroll[/i] turbo like the Legacy. Not a true "twin" turbo. Before the Legacy was out and details were still sketchy there was a lot of confusion on that as well. It won't be a twin turbo - makes no sense. Unless it's just for marketing. But I doubt it. Mazda has had enough trouble getting a single turbo working well on some of their past Mazdaspeed cars, so I can't begin to imagine two. I suspect the engine will still be transversely mounted, so drivetrain parasitics with the AWD setup will probably be quite bad - like the Mitsu EVO. Suby's longitudinal mounted setup has the advantage in that respect. Will be interesting to see what the car is capable of and what kind of mileage it can get. Steve

Ok, I think something bears explaining here - Mazda has not released any details, officially or unofficially, to the people that wrote the article that this thread is based around. Simply put, the author is either repeating rumours that he has heard, or is trying to put 2+1 together to get 4 on his own. That is why I mentioned the rumours of the 350hp twin turbo flat six STi legacy that popped up long ago. As we now know, those pictures were of a standard, 2.0-litre single twin-scroll turbo Legacy GT in testing. So my opinion, in full, is that it isn't a twin turbo (and I *do* have some reason to state that) and that I wouldn't be too confident about the power figures that were stated. Cheers, Paul Hansen

Archived