LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got home last night and unloaded everything today. What a great weekend!

Here's a shot of our campsite... great view of T5 and up the hill into T6:

37350676930_ab4c2f56a1_c.jpgMRLSTruck2 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

That was Sunday night, after we had loaded the car and hooked up the trailer. The trailer was left in the paddock over the weekend.

I picked a few fast brains Sunday morning, and picked up a bunch of speed through the day with their advice. Unfortunately, I was provided a transponder with a dead battery, so I didn't get any times on Sunday. It was after lunch when I finally figured out why I wasn't getting times, so I downloaded an app to the phone. The previous session, I had a lot of fun chasing/ being chased by a KMiata customer car. He told me he was putting down ~ 210hp, and was running on the same tires as me (NT01s). I was faster in the corners, he could pull me on the straights, but not as much as I would have thought. In straight out lap times, without traffic, I think I was a touch faster. I'm pretty sure we were the two fastest 'C' group cars.

So, first full lap out with the lap timer app, I pull a 1:55 after being stuck behind a slow guy from T2 - T5. Killed my drive up the hill into T6 and Corkscrew. But the next lap started off great, with no traffic up to start finish, and it was a flyer! By the time I got to the Corkscrew, I knew I was on my best lap of the weekend! Hit Rainey hard, and came out fast... into T10 and the back end stepped out on the brakes... and around it went. Two feet in, and backwards into the gravel... :p

And that's how I ended my weekend at MRLS... waiting for the tow truck to pull me out of the gravel.... :lol:

Got back to the paddock in time to get the car up and cleaned out/ checked out so I could get my wife out in her next session. Hers went better than mine! She got her very first ever point by (and a few more), and ran a 2:05.8. Not bad for her first ever time on a 'real' track, and first time at MRLS !

I could have gone out again but decided against it. I'm pretty sure I would have done something stupid... :lol: I talked to the KMiata guy again, and he said he got a 1:51 with just a little traffic slowdown, so I'm pretty sure we were both knocking on the high 1:40s...

A few shots from gotbluemilk.com, the MRLS pro photog:

Me diving down the CS

37350668890_548e011387_c.jpgMRLS17CorkscrewSmall1 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

My wife in T3

37625962291_31e6476197_c.jpgBrandieT3small by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

My wife into T6

37593417182_6a1874729c_c.jpgBrandie T6 small by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

Me in T3

23772772948_922a1bb8f1_c.jpgChrisT3small by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

My GoPro went goofy after my very first session on Saturday, so I only have that session on video. It's slow, but I'll see what it looks like and try to get some video up.

Looks like you had an awesome time even with the off. I'm still a bummed out I couldn't make it down there, but hopefully you'll be back to MRLS soon. Or maybe make the trip to Sonoma or all the way to Thunderhill.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

I would love to do Sears Point/Infineon/Sonoma, or whatever it's called by the time I actually get there... :p

Swapped the street wheels back on this afternoon. Mmmm... I love me some well used race rubber! Looks like the alignment numbers worked out pretty well.

23790948308_3855c7f59f_c.jpgMRLSTires by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

Meanwhile, the project marches on... have some header wrap on the way so I can get the header and intake installed. And I need to start thinking about what to do with the brakes. Next planned track day is Arizona Motorsports Park in December...

And I moved the NB back to the driveway... time to dig in and see what's going on with the engine.

I'm actually driving it today :D

Now I just wish I could get rid of the oil leak and clutch shudder :spin:

Though I think the Explorer is taking over the finicky car now. The abs sensor I damaged the cable on decided it didn't want work anymore. :spin:

2003 Baja 5MT

I've been driving the Miata the last two days to work and it just screams along on the freeway. It's quite the change from the Explorer which loafs along at 2000rpm at similar speeds.

37496900810_0fc73669f0_b.jpgIMG_20171017_072257 by christobal65, on Flickr

Had a nice sunrise this morning on the way to work.

37496901660_6406bef5c1_b.jpg

IMG_20171017_072518 by christobal65, on Flickr

2003 Baja 5MT

Yup 4.30 Torsen II in mine. I'd really love to swap to a 6spd with the 3.90. While the ratio spread is basically the same between the 5spd and 6spd when you pair it with the 3.90 you end with better gearing in 1-5 and slightly better cruising rpm in 6th. IMO it's the best street/track combination.

2003 Baja 5MT

Hoping to swap the intake and header this weekend, I spent some before-work time over the last few days wrapping the header. I bought quality wrap, and took my time, and when I was done, this happened:

37129653143_34c042f743_c.jpgDSC_1313 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

I just couldn't stand it. The primary tubes came out really nice, but I just couldn't get it to stay tight around the collector area. Hated it. Looked like ass, and I figured it would get worse with time/use. So this morning I drove my header 100 miles to get it ceramic coated. Should be done next week.

Also got this in:

23946851118_a7842c521e_c.jpgDSC_1315 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

It's more for reliability than performance. These engines have a habit of breaking the throttle plate pivot rod, and then the engine ingests a couple of screws, or worse. Either way, it usually results in a new engine. So, preventive measure, and who knows... it might free up 1-2hp. I am going to have to port the manifold to match the throttle body, which will give me something to do while waiting for the header...

Wow, I hadn't heard of the throttle plate issue :eek:

I've been using mine as a daily this week, but I'm really getting tired of the wind noise where the top meets the windshield header. When I put the top up yesterday afternoon I discovered the leading edge of the top had a dead bug stuck to it. Outside of blowing 200-300 on new top latches and striker plates I'm not sure what else to do. It makes the car a chore to drive above 60mph with the top up.

2003 Baja 5MT

The consensus is that with regular track usage, eventually the throttle plate pivot rod cracks where it's drilled for one of the two screws that holds on the throttle plate. Then the screw falls out and works its way through the engine. Or the screw just vibrates out... same result. Epoxying the screws has been discussed on MT, but it seems the Junk2 TB is the most reliable fix.

As far as the soft top header, the latches on mine weren't great either. Then again, they're noisy cars to begin with. Have you checked Mike's Miata Mecca? He's in Phoenix, but has an eBay store... may have some decent used ones. Or Treasure Coast, maybe?

Oh what else have you discovered on your NB project car? I know you said it had a seized motor on m.net any other news?

After Laguna, I decided brakes on the NA were a priority, so at best it's going to sit a while. I may also steal the 4.30 torsen for the NA. I think I'm going to try to pull the engine and trans, and maybe sell the head if it's in decent shape. Also thinking about pulling all the suspension arms, installing new bushings and swapping them into the NA. Mostly, it's just going to get warehoused for now.

At worst, it's a good shell if I wad the NA up on the track... :lol:

Today I drained the coolant and oil from the NB and pulled the radiator/fans, inlet tube and air box. I want to pull the motor and trans before I move it back to the back yard, so trying to get a few things done here and there.

The coolant looked old, but not horrible. There were about two quarts of oil in the engine after all (nothing showed on the dipstick). No cross contamination between the oil/water, and no metal in the oil.

I'm really curious to see what it looks like inside....

Yep and not only that the new latches and striker plates fixed my problem! So much less wind noise now! I was just driving down the freeway at 75+ and no noise from the windshield header anymore!

I'm so ******* happy!:cool::icon_chee

2003 Baja 5MT

Ported the intake for the Junk2 throttle body this morning...

Outer edge of the sharpie mark is how much needed to be removed...

23982729118_86710b7977_c.jpgFT pre port by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

Rough cut

37786616126_8557926dd1_c.jpgFT rough by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

And smoothed out

23982731148_54d97dbbe4_c.jpgFT ported by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

Don't expect any performance boost from this, but it can't hurt...

Well that was a fun day :spin:

Yesterday afternoon I washed my Miata. When I pulled it into the garage to vacuum it I heard water slosh in the passenger side rocker panel:eek: I crawled on the ground and grabbed the drain tube sure enough it moved freely. :mad::mad::mad:

Here is what I discovered.

37148446364_d554d1aa1b_b.jpg

So up on jack stands it went. Sometimes I wonder if this is really the 'natural habitat of a Miata' :rolleyes:

37600900180_d05293940e_b.jpg

Off came the top.

37831401892_fd70017492_b.jpg

37831406932_ab48ed77e5_b.jpg

All this so I could get to the funnel behind the seat belt tower

24009940408_42fcaa43fd_b.jpg

I pulled the flapper doors to avoid any future clogs and taped the pipes together and also taped the tube to the funnel.

24009949868_589b6745bf_b.jpg

And all done.

37157196044_b0e9b183b5_b.jpg

2003 Baja 5MT