LegacyGT.com

Check out my spark plugs please?

I suspect a lean condition can cause a dry plug. i would imagine if it had low compression, there would be an incomplete burn thus some fuel left over to make the plug wet...

Lean condition would cause the plugs to be white, right?

Here's a post with some interesting plug info:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/colder-spark-plugsi-190412.html?highlight=step+colder+plugs+bac

FYI my plugs look like that from the track car.

The subi plugs I pulled last fall were more brown than your whitish coated ones.

really? interesting..

I forgot to mention that they have 60k on them. Apparently according to this chart, they do look OK even though #4 is definitely darker than the rest.

I am trying to avoid driving the car but had to go to the hospital last night. On the way home, got misfire on #2. Awesome..

spark-plug-condition-colour-640x266.jpg.39ea20d771ca3dc4cd55c70d26b1d93b.jpg

When does the code happen, at idle or driving ?

Just for the record, have you replaced the o-rings at the IM to TGV's yet ?

You said above the timing is

at idle, timing advance is oscillating between 5 and 15 degrees, trying to reach the 12 degree target

Does rpm change during this event ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

When does the code happen, at idle or driving ?

Just for the record, have you replaced the o-rings at the IM to TGV's yet ?

You said above the timing is

at idle, timing advance is oscillating between 5 and 15 degrees, trying to reach the 12 degree target

Does rpm change during this event ?

No I have not. I need to source the parts from the U.S. and wait for a break in the weather. I want to spray some carb cleaner to see if it is indeed necessary. We currently have gale force winds over here and no garage; so I have to wait.

No I have not. I need to source the parts from the U.S. and wait for a break in the weather. I want to spray some carb cleaner to see if it is indeed necessary. We currently have gale force winds over here and no garage; so I have to wait.

I'm still betting on these being the issue. Even if the carb cleaner has no effect...we know these can be a issue even in the early 08's.

If you can make it till warmer weather, I would still replace them just because.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

If you really can't find the orange o-rings, I have the ones that came in my rebuild gasket kit, that I didn't use. I have the ones in there that I replaced in May of 2011. I lifted the intake and TGV's together off the short block.

While I patiently wait to find a descent place to get leak down/ compression tests, my gut feeling is telling me to clean my MAF and change air filter ASAP. I do have a dirty (K&N) air filter (shame on me--bought it new 30000 miles ago and never cleaned it--just shook it once in a while). This will be replaced with a standard paper one.

This is a good post btw: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=36504277&postcount=1

I thought I mentioned the MAF sensor already...may be I didn't but that's one of the simple things to clean.

At 30,000 miles the air filter should be that plugged where it would cause a miss fire, in 99% of the cars.

I clean my Perrin Panel filter once a year.

Good read, I keep my gorunds clean and tell everyone to clean the battery terminals and then grease them to keep out moisture.

I thought I mentioned the MAF sensor already...may be I didn't but that's one of the simple things to clean.

At 30,000 miles the air filter should be that plugged where it would cause a miss fire, in 99% of the cars.

I clean my Perrin Panel filter once a year.

Yeah. Like I said shame on me. I did not actually clean it per se because I was afraid of the re-oiling procedure (after reading what it could do to the MAF). So I've only been 'shaking' it and taking off bugs from it. But now there is a noticeable area where it is definitely plugged. I'll post a pic later.

• Moderators
Byron, I'm gonna be putting together a parts package for senor bonbon. Do you have Intake Manifold gaskets that he can use? If so, maybe you can work out a deal for him to have those and just ship 'em to me and I'll include them with other goodies. if not, I'll try to track down gaskets for him elsewhere. Do you recommend the "orange" ones anyway?

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Byron, I'm gonna be putting together a parts package for senor bonbon. Do you have Intake Manifold gaskets that he can use? If so, maybe you can work out a deal for him to have those and just ship 'em to me and I'll include them with other goodies. if not, I'll try to track down gaskets for him elsewhere. Do you recommend the "orange" ones anyway?

Just saw this, sorry.

I'm sure I do, I'd just need to verify that. I'm headed to VT after work today and won't be home until Sunday afternoon. I can verify then. But I'm 90% sure I have them.

I can drop them in mail next week.

Funny, got your PM and just remembered I missed commenting on the air filters.

I don't think it is that bad that it would could low air flow enough to make the MAF sensor read off and do something.

Is your car on a custom tune or the factory MAP ?

I just posted in the other thread, that I highly recommend a custom tune.

Oh did you hold a light behind the filter and see how much light comes through it ?

Never mind, I just checked the other thread.

I think your best off to get the cable and get a tune.

Archived