LegacyGT.com

SFW Only: Post your appropriate pics- Volume-2 (CLOSED)

Gire

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't read chicken scratch. Is it chocolate, licorice, or other?

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Those. Cars. Were. Fast.

Tons of mechanical grip, and the early days of effective aero. The above motor is seen in action below, aiding in vehicle visibility with some light pyrotechnics :lol:

http://i59.tinypic.com/23yb7.jpg

Actually, from 1982 to 1983, the cars lost a HUGE amount of downforce when underbody tunnels were banned and the cars were restricted to diffusers. It made the cars fun to watch though. All that HP and less than half the downforce. If you thought it was point and squirt before 83, you merely had to watch the drivers try to put down the power midcorner in 83. They basically had to have the car pointing down the straight before applying meaningul power becz of traction issues. It was great. IMpatient drivers. Lurid powerslides.

Less downforce and more power made for crazy top speeds :eek:

Some of the 70's cars did have comically huge wings, tho.

I'm not sure the top speeds were so different from a few years later when downforce was recovered. The 83 cars took so long to get to full power becz of traction issues, while cars a few years later with more downforce could get the power down MUCH earlier. Despite their lesser HP, cars from the late 80s had equal top speeds, methinks. Unfortunately, my AutoCourse collection (from 1978 to 2009) does not record top speeds, merely laptimes so we'll never know.

Archived