• Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
Information Technology.

Two questions: what are potential research topics for a PHD in IT that isn't full on Computer Science? And what do you do with a doctorate in IT? About the only thing I can think of is teach.

Two questions: what are potential research topics for a PHD in IT that isn't full on Computer Science? And what do you do with a doctorate in IT? About the only thing I can think of is teach.

Password resets

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

I am pursuing a professional, or applied, doctorate; I am not pursuing a PhD. I chose a professional doctorate over a PhD because my personal preference is towards solving problems using current or emerging knowledge rather than towards being the one generating new knowledge in my given field. Additionally, individuals with PhDs are often viewed as those best suited to serving as educators or theoretical researchers. I am pursuing neither of those career paths.

I realize I never answered either of your questions.

1) Information Technology includes a much broader scope them Computer Science. The best analogy I can think of is to place a Doctorate of Business Administration (DBA) on one end of the spectrum and a PhD in Computer Sciences on the other end. A Doctorate in IT (DIT) falls in the middle. Individuals that pursue a DIT are usually leaders in the IT field. Chief Technology Officer, Chief Information Officer, things like that.

2) The potential for doctoral study topics is broad since the field is broad. You can lean more towards the management side or more towards the Com Sci side for your topic. As long as the management topic still maintains a relevancy in the IT field it is a good DIT study topic. As long as the Comp Sci topic doesn't turn into a Comp Sci experiment and maintains some semblance of maintaining a management or non technical system problem it is a good DIT study topic.

Archived